Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 10,382 times

Advertisements

When I look on isport swimming I only find two high schools in South Carolina that have swim Teams, Clover and Beaufort. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I don't know about public schools, but a lot of private schools have them. My daughter's private HS has a swim team and competes with a lot of other private schools in the state.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
No. Most of the bigger high schools do. Look on school athletics pages. South Carolina schools mostly have all the typical sports except for hockey. Lacrosse has exploded here in the past few years.

Look at your interested areas first, then the school district, then the school athletics page.

Here is a list of schools that were ranked in the swim championships. Not sure if its all the schools or not, but its a reference:

http://www.schsl.org/2014Brackets/sw4.pdf

32 girls, 31 boys in AAAA. 24 girls and 29 boys in AAA.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No. Most of the bigger high schools do. Look on school athletics pages. South Carolina schools mostly have all the typical sports except for hockey. Lacrosse has exploded here in the past few years.

Look at your interested areas first, then the school district, then the school athletics page.

Here is a list of schools that were ranked in the swim championships. Not sure if its all the schools or not, but its a reference:

32 girls, 31 boys in AAAA. 24 girls and 29 boys in AAA.
I see Mauldin on that list. Be aware, Mauldin does not have a pool! I believe in those cases practices and meets are held at area subdivision pools or maybe at schools that do have pools.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:03 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
Most schools have teams but no pools. Most meets and practices are held at some country club or a Y type place.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I see Mauldin on that list. Be aware, Mauldin does not have a pool! I believe in those cases practices and meets are held at area subdivision pools or maybe at schools that do have pools.
Im not personally aware of any school in the state that has its own pool.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 10,382 times
I appreciate the replies, the rankings is very helpful to compare where he is now.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
I've coached high school swimming in the upstate for 6 years. I'll chime in if it'll help.

There are 213 members of the South Carolina High School League. About....85 of them field swim teams. This number changes sometimes from year to year as teams can range from 1 kid on the team (I've seen this) to around 70 in a program.

In SC grades 7 - 12 can compete on varsity side by side. So you can be a 6x varsity swimmer in this state.

To my knowledge nobody in SC has an on-site swim facility. Several schools do have indoor practice / competition facilities. These are usually local Y's, aquatic centers in some cases and in others they receive help from local colleges for practice / competition sites.

I would venture a guess that the majority practice at community pools located in or near local subdivisions.

The season begins in late July / early August and ends the weekend of Columbus day each year with the state finals in Columbia at USC's aquatic center.

Teams are allowed to schedule 8 regular season meets and the state uses qualifying times as the basis for qualifying for state. YEARS ago they did use regional qualifiers as the basis for getting to state but have since said here are the times to beat, beat em and you go to state.

There are two state finals. One for schools in Class 4A and one for schools in Class 3A, 2A, 1A.

In 2016-17 the SCHSL is moving to a 5 class system so there will still be to my knowledge only two state final meets. One for 5A and then one for 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A.

SCISA is different in that their season is conducted during the winter months (more aligned with the college and northern high school swim seasons). SCISA are private schools who are NOT members of the SCHSL as the HSL does have 4 member schools who are private.

Any questions just ask.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:25 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I believe that most people who are serious about swimming compete on USA stand alone teams.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
Most of the kids who compete at state (at least in 4A) swim competitively year round for a club team in the Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston, Augusta, Rock Hill, Myrtle Beach areas. If you look at the top 10 teams in 4A and 3A they all come from the metro areas that have access to reasonably decent facilities. The swim season is only 2 months long so it becomes incredibly difficult for an athlete to begin in late July and expect to compete at a high level by late September. Not impossible with the right resources and coaching but certainly challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina