Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 AM

72 posts, read 320,266 times

Advertisements

Who remembers this case. The man and girl were found murdered on the side of the road and they have never been identified. I just wondered what some of the theorys were, about who they were where they came from and who might have done it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Sumter County John & Jane Doe from 1976-does.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,189 times
I barely remember that case. Are those sketches from the newspaper?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Yes, I think they are, we have actual rertouched photos too....(showing their eyes open)

Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 AM

66 posts, read 197,198 times
Default SC John and Jane Doe

You can read a lot about this case at the following links. Photos included, as well as newspaper articles, etc. There is a whole group of people who work on this and other unidentified persons cases.

PorchlightUSA, in memory of Jean Marie Stewart -> SCC760809

sc missing and unidentified persons · help us bring them home

Porchlight International for the Missing & Unidentified -> SCF760809

Anyone who is interested is more than welcome!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 AM

a new composite I made that shows how they might have looked in life in 1976 maybe this could help someone recognize them
Attached Thumbnails
The Sumter County John & Jane Doe from 1976-jock-jane.jpg  

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM

Default 32nd anniversary of their murder

a new newspaper article about these 2, it was 32 yrs ago saturday that these 2 were murdered...

http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS01/997748564 (http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/ITNEWS01/997748564 - broken link)
[SIZE=1][SIZE=3]
Article published: Aug 9, 2008
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=5]Crime still unsolved[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Identities, closure elusive 32 years after couple’s slaying[/SIZE]

Thirty two years ago today, the bodies of a young couple were found lying on the shoulder of Locklair Road, a dirt road between Interstate 95 and S.C. 341, near the Florence County line.

The man and woman, thought to be in their late teens to early 20s, had been shot to death with a .357 Magnum, two bullets to the body and an insurance round under the chin for each.

Young. Attractive. Unknown.

Despite desperate efforts from local law enforcement and Coroner Verna Moore, who worked the scene as deputy coroner, authorities are no closer to solving the mystery than they were on Aug. 9, 1976.

For Moore, the focus is narrow.

“It doesn’t matter anymore who killed them,” she said.

“I just want to find out who they are. Hopefully, somebody will come forward, but it’s in the hands of the Lord.”

Moore said she began working on the case — which is still technically open — about 10 years ago because “it is the coroner’s job to find out who they are.”

She has said repeatedly that she wants to identify the couple before she leaves the coroner’s office, which, as it turns out, will be in January.

Not much is known about the couple aside from their physical attributes. She was about 5 feet 5 inches tall, 105 pounds with brown hair and blue-green eyes.

Moore said she had two unique moles near the left side of her mouth and long, beautiful eyelashes — an attractive woman. He was about 6 feet tall, 155 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. They were both white, with olive-toned skin, reports said. Neither had identification, no purses or wallets.

Moore dismissed the notion that they could have been homeless or hitchhikers. They had recently showered, she said, and each was wearing nice jewelry, including a gold watch on the man’s wrist.

Four months after the slayings, police in Latta arrested a North Carolina man, Lonnie George Henry, for driving under the influence. While searching his vehicle, they found a .357-caliber handgun that they thought was used in the killings. Henry was never charged in the slayings and anything he might have known about them was buried along with him. Henry died in 1982.

Speculation abounds about where the couple came from and why they were killed, but there is no evidence to corroborate any of it. Moore said lead after lead has fizzled into nothingness.

She is cautiously optimistic, however, about the latest avenue she hopes will bring closure to the situation. In a report written a year after the slayings, the late Lt. James Gamble of the state Law Enforcement Division said he got a phone call from a man who said he recognized the dead man. David Batson, whose wife worked at the KOA Campground in Santee, said he met a couple at the campground who said they were on their way to Florida.

He said the man told him he was a former school teacher from Canada whose family was unhappy with him because he didn’t want to be a doctor, like his father. Batson also said the ring the man was wearing when his body was found looked like a ring the man tried to sell him: a ring inscribed with “JPF.” Batson said the man’s name was “Jock,” Gamble’s report said.

It is unclear why this lead was seemingly never pursued by law enforcement, but Moore did a little investigative work herself. Batson had died and the campground had closed, but she had to do something.

“I called my deputy and said, ‘I’m going to Santee,’” Moore said. “She said, ‘What for?’ and I said, ‘To look for a needle in a haystack.’”

What Moore found were the owners of the campground and, in the end, more disappointment. The detailed records they had kept of all their campers had been destroyed in a house fire.

The case was profiled on the NBC show “Unsolved Mysteries” and more than 200 leads, Moore said, led to nothing. A search for the dead man’s teeth — which Moore said she thinks bore a mark that would identify the dentist who performed “elaborate” dental work — led to more disappointment; they were donated to a local school and eventually disposed of. The gold Bulova Accutron watch the man was wearing was manufactured in 1974, but no one can determine where it was sold.

“It’s frustrating,” Moore said. “Everything we have tried has gotten us nowhere.”

Reader’s Digest Canada
is planning to publish a piece in its September issue on the mystery, and Moore hopes that will prove fruitful. In June 2007, the bodies were exhumed and bone samples taken. The samples sit in a laboratory at the University of Texas, and Moore is hopeful DNA can be extracted.

If a potential family member is located, samples could be compared.

Moore has followed leads for a decade and while she said it’s her job to find out who the couple is, it’s clear that her desire for closure is more than one of duty.

The couple is buried in donated plots in the Bethel United Methodist Church cemetery in Oswego under tombstones that simply read “Male — Unknown” and “Female — Unknown.” Moore wants to unearth them just one more time. She wants to send them to a resting place where they are known. Loved, maybe.

“My main thing is to find out who they are and send them home, because somebody, somewhere, has got to be missing them,” Moore said.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,629 times
Interesting story. I wonder if they'll ever figure out who they were.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 28,422 times
Unhappy in the paper

Hi, I sa that in the paper.
Maybe they didn't live here and were just passing through.

Its horrible

Old 08-12-2008, 07:48 AM

Yes, I believe they were just travelling through and were in the wrong place at the wrong time..

Its so so sad to me that their families have never found out what happended to them. For all their families know they ran off and were so rude as to never contact them again. I cant believe after all these years nobody on the face of the earth recognizes them or is looking for them....I will just keep praying that God will help us solve this mystery.

I have a myspace set up for these two and there was a TV show recently about them that aired in Canada, it is sort of the Canadian version of Americas Most Wanted....

here are links to both

MySpace.com - Jock - 55 - Male - FLORENCE, South Carolina - www.myspace.com/jockandjanedoe

GTA's Most Wanted 2-39 Unidentified Couple Murdered

[SIZE=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchdufkJrgg[/SIZE] Watch Rogers TV FRI 5:30pm / SUN 9pm

This video is a preview of a full story featured on GTA's Most Wanted. To view full episodes and complete stories on-line, go to: GTA's Most Wanted - Home - Mississauga

case 2-39

Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenolred View Post
Yes, I believe they were just travelling through and were in the wrong place at the wrong time..

Its so so sad to me that their families have never found out what happended to them. For all their families know they ran off and were so rude as to never contact them again. I cant believe after all these years nobody on the face of the earth recognizes them or is looking for them....I will just keep praying that God will help us solve this mystery.

I have a myspace set up for these two and there was a TV show recently about them that aired in Canada, it is sort of the Canadian version of Americas Most Wanted....

here are links to both

MySpace.com - Jock - 55 - Male - FLORENCE, South Carolina - www.myspace.com/jockandjanedoe

GTA's Most Wanted 2-39 Unidentified Couple Murdered

[SIZE=1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchdufkJrgg[/SIZE] Watch Rogers TV FRI 5:30pm / SUN 9pm

This video is a preview of a full story featured on GTA's Most Wanted. To view full episodes and complete stories on-line, go to: GTA's Most Wanted - Home - Mississauga

case 2-39
Interesting case. With the assumed fact that his name was Jock *Jacques* and her not shaving her legs, leads me to believe they would have been from Quebec. I mean how hard would it be to find all the doctors in Quebec with the alpha letter that showed on the deceased's ring (Last Letter most likely 100% the beginning of the young man's fathers last name as well)?? Did the show air in French in Quebec? Assuming these two murder victims would be in their 50's by now, I'm assuming their parents at least the young mans would be in their mid to late 80's and maybe deceased as well....but really how hard would it be to get in touch with whatever medical association they have in Quebec (you know they run a different way then the rest of Canada) and get a list of all doctors (PHD MD DDS etc) who's last name began with that letter? Seems to me there is an abundance of clues left by two that this shouldn't be able to be solved (albeit most of it's been mishandled and misplaced).

Then again who would fund the project? If the list could be provided, one would have to check out all the dr's and see if anyone ever had a missing son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina