Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,780 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be moving to Florence here in the next couple of months. Looking at the historical data, it seems like Florence has had its fair share of watery disaster - back to back flooding in 2015 and 2016? Yeesh!

I'm hoping some locals can tell me the areas that were subject to the most flooding. My spouse's business involves keeping quite a bit of paper, so I don't want to think one day we'll have to put up sandbags and seek higher ground and return to find all of those papers absolutely ruined. I'm sure next to the many waterways that are on the map (Jeffery's Creek, Middle Swamp, Black Creek) got the worst of it?

Just wanting to check with the people who experienced it first hand to know where I should be shopping for a house - most favorable areas and streets. Thanks a ton in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Where in Florence are you seeking to locate?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Where in Florence are you seeking to locate?
Thanks for getting back to me. I will be taking a position at Carolina's Hospital System, so anywhere that's a short drive is on the table for me, though I would also like to be close to what the town has to offer. It seems most of the retail is on the other side of town to that particular hospital.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Major retail would be along David H. McLeod Boulevard near Interstate 20 and Interstate 95. South Irby Street also has limited major retail.

If you are looking for a short drive to Carolinas Hospital System and to major retail, are you considering the Second Loop Road corridor?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Major retail would be along David H. McLeod Boulevard near Interstate 20 and Interstate 95. South Irby Street also has limited major retail.

If you are looking for a short drive to Carolinas Hospital System and to major retail, are you considering the Second Loop Road corridor?
That and the Pamplico Highway area. Were either of those greatly affected during the flooding (homes flooded, roads closed or washed out)?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 AM

I have not heard much about flooding in Florence unless there is a heavy rain storm and drainage to drain water is inadequate.

I am unable to find a current floodplain map of the City of Florence and Florence County.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I have not heard much about flooding in Florence unless there is a heavy rain storm and drainage to drain water is inadequate.

I am unable to find a current floodplain map of the City of Florence and Florence County.
Hey, that's fine. Thank you for giving it your all. Assuming you're from the area, I'm sure it's a great place to look forward to moving to.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Florence has been underrated for years, and it is making progress.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:41 PM

314 posts, read 471,684 times
My parent's live literally two minutes from Carolinas and they love that area. There was no major flooding during both of the storms just ponding which quickly went away. There is new homes being built at the back of my parent's neighborhood. Great area.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:08 PM

152 posts, read 351,837 times
The homes on the south side of Second Loop did not suffer any flooding damage. Those on the north side near Jeffries Creek had more flooding, but nothing that damaged any homes that I recall. Look at Huntington or the Cloisters, or any home off of Damon Drive. It's literally a 5 minute drive to CHS (assuming you don't get stuck by a CXS train that frequently stops on the tracks... and puts that side of town to a halt. Lack of an underpass there is one of Florence's biggest embarrassments). There is also Parkwood or the Highlands of Parkwood...though I'd choose the latter. Avoid Pine Forest...or any older carport neighborhoods for that matter... as any significant home price appreciation is unlikely. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: