Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 31,220 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are starting to consider relocating from NY to either North or South Carolina. Leaning more towards South Carolina. We're trying to research which towns would suit our family the best. We're boaters, so ideally we'd like to be close to the coast (preferably within 10 - 20 minutes, but up to 30 minutes). Our price range is between $400K - $550K for a 3 to 4 bedroom home with a minimum of 1/2 acre of property. Excellent public schools is a must for us. We have two children, 4 and 11, and we're looking for a sparse suburban feel - someplace with nice neighborhoods, a quaint downtown that has shops and restaurants, the conveniences of big box stores or a mall close by (within a 15 min drive), but a town that's more filled with small businesses and mom and pop type restaurants/bars/shops. Parks would be nice as well. A strong volunteer community is a big plus as my husband is a volunteer firefighter and that's a big part of how we've made friends who have become like family over the years.
We like our space so we'd prefer not to be on top of our neighbors and we want to be able to look out our windows and see trees and grass as opposed to just other houses or construction, so I guess you could say we prefer more established neighborhoods with some privacy between lots.

Any suggestions on towns or areas that we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 07:12 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Mount Pleasant SC easily checks all the boxes but will be on the high end of your spending range.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krych914 View Post
My husband and I are starting to consider relocating from NY to either North or South Carolina. Leaning more towards South Carolina. We're trying to research which towns would suit our family the best. We're boaters, so ideally we'd like to be close to the coast (preferably within 10 - 20 minutes, but up to 30 minutes). Our price range is between $400K - $550K for a 3 to 4 bedroom home with a minimum of 1/2 acre of property. Excellent public schools is a must for us. We have two children, 4 and 11, and we're looking for a sparse suburban feel - someplace with nice neighborhoods, a quaint downtown that has shops and restaurants, the conveniences of big box stores or a mall close by (within a 15 min drive), but a town that's more filled with small businesses and mom and pop type restaurants/bars/shops. Parks would be nice as well. A strong volunteer community is a big plus as my husband is a volunteer firefighter and that's a big part of how we've made friends who have become like family over the years.
We like our space so we'd prefer not to be on top of our neighbors and we want to be able to look out our windows and see trees and grass as opposed to just other houses or construction, so I guess you could say we prefer more established neighborhoods with some privacy between lots.

Any suggestions on towns or areas that we should consider?
Where would jobs be located? Some areas might have more of a specific employment opportunity. Any particular hobbies (beside FF) that would need to be close by, particularly specialized sports for kids? Where have you already visited? What did you like/dislike about it? Then people will have a better idea of where to suggest.

Also, just curious, why South Carolina?

Old 01-16-2021, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 31,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Where would jobs be located? Some areas might have more of a specific employment opportunity. Any particular hobbies (beside FF) that would need to be close by, particularly specialized sports for kids? Where have you already visited? What did you like/dislike about it? Then people will have a better idea of where to suggest.

Also, just curious, why South Carolina?
My husband is employed with a company that allows him to work remotely, so jobs aren't really much of an issue unless something were to change. As for hobbies, we enjoy fishing, camping, and boating. We're not city people - we currently live in a suburb in the Hudson Valley region of NY and we spend a lot of our free time in the summers in Lake George, so ideally an area within 3 hours of a nice lake vacationing area would be great. Our kids are not super into sports, so that's not a priority for us. Excellent public schools are much more important as our son has ADHD and has an IEP.

We're not tied to South Carolina, however we want to be somewhere with warmer weather along the East Coast. We haven't visited any areas other than Hilton Head, which was too touristy for us. I lived in NC for several years in the Fayetteville area, but the crime rate was very high and schools weren't very good. It was also too far from the coast for us. We do love areas that have some historical aspects to them. Our son is very into history, museums, etc.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
My husband is employed with a company that allows him to work remotely, so jobs aren't really much of an issue unless something were to change. As for hobbies, we enjoy fishing, camping, and boating. We're not city people - we currently live in a suburb in the Hudson Valley region of NY and we spend a lot of our free time in the summers in Lake George, so ideally an area within 3 hours of a nice lake vacationing area would be great. Our kids are not super into sports, so that's not a priority for us. Excellent public schools are much more important as our son has ADHD and has an IEP.

We're not tied to South Carolina, however we want to be somewhere with warmer weather along the East Coast. We haven't visited any areas other than Hilton Head, which was too touristy for us. I lived in NC for several years in the Fayetteville area, but the crime rate was very high and schools weren't very good. It was also too far from the coast for us. We do love areas that have some historical aspects to them. Our son is very into history, museums, etc.
That’s great about the job. You’d be surprised how many people are flooding into the Carolinas without jobs lined up.

There are quite a few large lakes in SC, especially in the Upstate, which will be roughly three hours from the coast. SC has a fabulous state park system you may be interested in. https://southcarolinaparks.com/

Charleston and Columbia will offer the most for museums/history but there are sites scattered throughout.

I’m in the Upstate so others will have to comment on the towns closer to the coast.

Best of luck.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:03 PM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
Quote:
My husband and I are starting to consider relocating from NY to either North or South Carolina. Leaning more towards South Carolina. We're trying to research which towns would suit our family the best. We're boaters, so ideally we'd like to be close to the coast (preferably within 10 - 20 minutes, but up to 30 minutes).
I’ve only been here less than a year, and I’m not sure what type of boating you’re talking about (and I know nothing about boating)... but I live right near Lake Murray, in the midlands just outside Columbia. It’s not an ocean, and you’re 2 hours from the coast in Charleston, but it’s a HUGE lake.

I’ve heard the school district of Lexington 1 is really good, and while we don’t have kids yet, have talked about buying in Lex-1 when we’re ready to (probably another year and a half or so, at the earliest). I think your price range is very doable and the Harbison area (mall, stores, restaurants) is probably 20 minutes away. But there’s shopping and restaurants off the main stretch (378-Sunset Blvd) and a cute downtown too.

I’d highly suggest checking out the Lexington area, if you’re okay with a lake instead of the ocean. We’ve been in the area (just outside Lexington, near Irmo) since June and love it! So I may be biased but I think it may be worth looking into since it meets most if not all your other criteria. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2021, 04:58 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Summerville.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:01 PM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Summerville.
Summerville is a good option, if they can find a house that isn't in a subdivision. They said they don't want to look out and see other houses. Otherwise, it meets their requirements.

Same with Mt. Pleasant.

Maybe farther up around Awendaw?

Or Moncks Corner? Schools might be a problem there, though.

Up 41 towards Huger?

In NC: Greenville or Little Washington?

Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:

The Savannah metro would be interesting to you I'm sure. Around Wilmington Island. Jacksonville, Florida and also the area around the Treasure Coast, Florida. Charleston has some great areas, check out Mt Pleasant and James and Johns Islands.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:22 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
The other consideration for work from home folks is internet. I looked at a house just north of the Wando that still had DSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina