Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 AM

29 posts, read 160,250 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just have a general question to anyone in the real estate industry, specifically in South Carolina. I am interested in taking a real estate pre licensing class, but I see on the class schedule that one of the requirements to obtain your license is you must have satisfactory credit. I was extremely sick almost two years ago and was in and out of the hospital for about 8 months straight (and at the time was a student with no insurance). In that time I accumulated a lot of medical debt and a lot of it was sent to my credit report. It is beyond an amount that I will probably ever be able to pay off ($80,000+). I went from having near perfect credit to awful credit almost overnight. After doing some googling some people online say that it is more of a criminal background check that you need to pass to obtain your realtor license, but that is not what the requirement says. So what I'm wondering is if there is any chance I could become licensed even with bad credit? I don't want to spend the time and money taking this class if there is no possibility of becoming licensed because of my bad credit...Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Snowflake,
Don't let it get you down at all if you can't get a realtors license with bad credit.
The real estate market is still horrible, at least it is down here in Aiken, so just
try to pick a field that you don't need a license in and you will be fine.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Real Estate market is doing good in Greenville. So go for it. If you're around Charleston, Columbia, or Greenville you should be fine. Any area that's seeing growth.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,435 times
Recent trends in South Carolina real estate indicate that prices have evened out as buyer’s and seller’s negotiate a new understanding of the value of property in the modern economic climate. Between the end of 2011 and April of 2012, the average price for a condo or townhouse in South Carolina went from $183,000 to $197,000. Single family homes, both in and out of the city, averaged a list price of $282,000 at the end of last year and seller’s are now asking an average of $270,000. With approximately 55% of the market share, single family homes and townhouses/condos constitute the foundation of the South Carolina real estate market.

Regards,
Gabriella Jaden

Last edited by Gabriella-jaden; 03-18-2013 at 06:32 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,823 times
Default sc re license

How did things work out for your husband? I'm kind of in the same predicament with medical bills on my credit. I hope he was able to do it.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,200 times
Snowflake,

How did things work out. Were you able to pass the credit check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina