Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 40,651 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I need some advise on relocating to either Camden or Beaufort. He has interviewed in both places and now has to make the choice. We are in our late 20's, no children, don't necessarily need a raging night life, but good dining options are important.

I would need to commute to some sort of larger medical center, so Savannah if we choose Beaufort, Columbia if we choose Camden. Any thoughts on these commutes? We would most likely live in the Bluffton area if we choose Beaufort and Elgin if we choose Camden so that the commutes are more equal.

I was only able to go to the Camden area (we live in PA) and really liked it. Columbia seemed like a very nice city from the limited time I was there. My boyfriend seemed to also really like Beaufort.

My concerns: Beaufort/Bluffton high housing costs, traffic, touristy, bugs (just kidding, sort of!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 05:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
I guess it would just depend on the type of scene you want from the larger metropolitan area you'd be in. The whole Savannah/Beaufort/Hilton Head is a very nice area, quite tourist-oriented, but with many things to do. The Columbia area is a growing, mid-sized city with several options for cultural activities as well, being the state capital and home to USC and other institutions of higher learning. I'm not that familiar with Bluffton itself, but your cost of living would probably be lower living in the Columbia area.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,091 times
Hilton head not withstanding, Columbia is a much larger city than Savannah, about twice as big I think, so there will a lot more opportunity there, from what I know especially in the medical field. Also, I think if you were to settle in the Elgin-Lugoff area, I think you would find your commute to medical facilities in Cola would be much easier than from Bluffton to Savannah. It is a straight shot down I-20 and I-277 to the hospitals in the Richland Memorial area.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:07 AM

9 posts, read 40,651 times
Thanks for the replies. I think I am definitely leaning towards Camden/Columbia. I like being 2 hours from the beach or the mountains. Also I was impressed with the amount of beautiful brick homes in the area (and their prices). The traffic is definitely something to consider and from what I hear the whole Hilton Head/Savannah can get pretty ugly. Thanks again, I think we are going to make another trip to Camden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina