Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 AM

71 posts, read 363,301 times

Advertisements

of them? I know there is a community called Murphy's Village in SC where they live.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Are you talking about the people colloquially referred to as "the Turks?"

Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Are you talking about the people colloquially referred to as "the Turks?"

Yes, I've heard this term also. I think it depends on what region your in. B/c I've heard at least 10 different names for them.
I need to learn a lil more about them before I make accusations...

Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonediva View Post
Yes, I've heard this term also. I think it depends on what region your in. B/c I've heard at least 10 different names for them.
I need to learn a lil more about them before I make accusations...
I think the basic gist of it, is that you have clans of "Gypsies" who came from Europe, Asia, or Africa, and settled in rural parts of the south, sometime prior to the Civil War. Gypsy is obviously a very loose term, and I don't really know what these different groups across the south have in common with one another.

I looked up these "Irish Travellers", and it seems they really are Irish descended gypsies that settled around Augusta.

In the area of SC that I grew up, a good ways from Augusta, you had a group of several families of that people referred to as "Turks". I've heard they are Romanian, I've heard they are Spanish muslims, and I've heard they were Arabs, I've heard that they were Native Americans. The particular clan I'm familiar with was reputed to have been a group of pirates from North Africa, whom Gen. Thomas Sumter found wandering around the SC wilderness prior to the American revolution. They joined up with him, and were granted some of his land after the war. This makes sense, considering the modern-day group lives near Gen. Sumter's home. They have a bad reputation, and what I've witnessed myself has supported that reputation.

http://www.sciway3.net/clark/freemoo...knewspaper.htm
http://www.sciway3.net/clark/freemoo...eIndianshb.htm

Last edited by le roi; 10-16-2009 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think the basic gist of it, is that you have clans of "Gypsies" who came from Europe and settled in rural parts of the south, sometime prior to the Civil War. Gypsy is obviously a very loose term, and I don't really know what these different groups across the south have in common with one another.

I looked up these "Irish Travellers", and it seems they really are Irish descended gypsies that settled around Augusta.

In the area of SC that I grew up, a good ways from Augusta, you had a group of several families of that people referred to as "Turks". I've heard they are Romanian, I've heard they are Spanish muslims, and I've heard they were Arabs, I've heard that they were Native Americans. The particular clan I'm familiar with was reputed to have been a group of pirates from North Africa, whom Gen. Thomas Sumter found wandering around the SC wilderness prior to the American revolution. They joined up with him, and were granted some of his land after the war. This makes sense, considering the modern-day group lives near Gen. Sumter's home. They have a bad reputation, and what I've witnessed myself has supported that reputation.

South Carolina Colony Of ‘Turks’
The "Turks" of Sumter County, SC are descendants of American Indians"

Thanks for the info. I have a home in Richmond, VA and they house next door to mine--I was informed that a suspected group of "Irish Travelers" have moved in. Its approx. 8-10 males, I really haven't been able to tell what the ethnicity is. No women/kids are in the house. They drive big trucks. Leave home very early (before the neighborhood awakes) and come in very late after everyone is gone to bed. They have magnetic contractor signs (that appear to be customized for Comcast, Verizon, and other small companies). Each truck (approx. 12 big trucks) has a different state tag (several SC, AL, CO, MS, GA.) My husband has tried to introduce himself to them, but they are very stand-offish and don't give eye contact. Another neighbor called the police on them and they wouldn't come to the door---that's general b/c they don't go to the door when anyone else knocks. This is just a token of the info. I did some research on the internet and I believe they have settled in my neighborhood for possibly a short period of time.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
There are some Gypsy/Irish Travelers communities North of I-20 in Aiken and Edgefield counties. Despite their poor reputation, for the most part they keep to themselves.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
If your a resturant owner/worker they will come to you in droves and reak havik

Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
there are still some in the Edgefield Co/Augusta area. I was in a restaurant probably 6-8 months ago In Augusta and a group of 6 or 7 women and at least that many kids came in. I recognized them from many years back, because of the hair styles (big bouffant) and highly made-up makeup on all the females, including the "older" of the girls, about 10 -12. I quietly asked my server and she sat down for a couple of minutes and we chatted. She said if it's groups of women and kids, the male kids run wild and the girls and women chat quietly, when the food is served they are instructed to serve the boys first, then the girls. She said on Friday and Saturday evenings it can be VERY noticible and a pain because of the men's attitudes. They are cocky and arrogant toward female servers so that restaurant always had more men servers on those nights. My coworker who is from Augusta and has a sister in North Augusta says everyone is still very aware of the and very cautious and suspicious of them. THey are very clannish, staying only with their group.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

I've been in several fights with groups of them, not the Irish, but the "Turks" of the rural areas around my hometown. Me and my buddies were juniors in high school, these guys were like 23, 24 year old construction workers. We'd throw parties in the swamp, they would somehow find us, and come crash the party, suddenly punch somebody in the face or hit somebody with a chair for no reason at all. the ones I've run into, I call them "feral humans."

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 12,602 times
Angry mind your own business

how would you know what we are like why cant you [mod] crude [/mod] just leave us alone you know nothing about us:ma d:

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina