Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 06:34 PM

57 posts, read 188,395 times

Advertisements

I am an elementary/middle school teacher in Colorado that is looking for a new adventure in a new state. My parents have recommended that I look into South Dakota.

I have spent the past 3 years living in the vail valley, a ski mountain area, and I am over it. I am looking for a change - a huge change!

I would like a place where there are mountains near by;rivers and streams (so I can keep fly-fishing), places to go hiking, camping, and backpacking...

I would also like to live in a town that is larger than 10,000 people but smaller than 50,000 people.

Hopefully there will be places to go 4-wheeling in my truck as well.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have been teaching for 3 years, and I have a master's degree in education, so I know I will not be starting at the bottom of the pay scale.

My dream is to find a job where I can teach upper elementary or middle school and coach at the middle school or high school level. I also would like to be in a community with a rockin' church to attend.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Spearfish fits your criteria almost perfectly. It has about 10,000 people and it's home to Black Hills State University so that adds a few thousand more to it. Hiking, fishing, camping, biking, skiing, rock climbing, and water sports are all within a few minutes from Spearfish and it is a very beautiful town. Four-wheeling is almost a lifestyle here and you'd be in South Dakota so churches just come with the territory.

City of Spearfish, South Dakota
Spearfish, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spearfish, South Dakota

Old 11-22-2008, 07:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Spearfish is a really nice town... Its not SD but I might look at Sheridan Wyoming. Or some places in Montana.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
I would also recommend Spearfish. Overall, it is a good community that is clean and has character to it.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,711 times
Be prepared for a pay cut. Teacher pay unfortunately is not good here. A friend moved here from Columbus, Ohio and she took a $20,000 pay cut with 6 years teaching under her belt. A believe we still rank 50th in pay.
checking for more current data, but here's a couple years ago...
swivel.com/data_sets/show/1016733
But cost of living is MUCH less than Vail.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
Be prepared for a pay cut. Teacher pay unfortunately is not good here. A friend moved here from Columbus, Ohio and she took a $20,000 pay cut with 6 years teaching under her belt. A believe we still rank 50th in pay.
checking for more current data, but here's a couple years ago...
swivel.com/data_sets/show/1016733
But cost of living is MUCH less than Vail.
Excellent point. I am glad you brought that up. Usually teachers often move out of state for more money.

I have two friends from School who teach in Minnesota.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM

57 posts, read 188,395 times
I am looking for a place that is far cheaper to live compared to vail. My current teaching salary is fine, but I end up coaching and doing many after school activities to supplement in order to be able to live here. So, I am looking for a place where I can take a pay cut, but the cost of living is cheaper. Not to mention that I miss being able to play softball, there aren't any places to play up here. I miss my flat land. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
Another place to consider, although it is not quite to the 10,000 people threshhold would be Belle Fouche. It is about 10 or so miles north of Spearfish and is not too far from the Black Hills. It is a little cheaper to live than in Spearfish, which is around 10,000 people.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Belle Fourche is all right but it kind of gets a reputation for being a redneck ranch town and I don't think it sounds fitting for you. Spearfish has a large softball complex out by the Upper Valley and McGuigan Road exits. Spearfish is WAY cheaper than living in Vail and it would be much easier to find an apartment in than Belle Fourche because Spearfish is a college town and there are plenty of apartments and townhomes.

Spearfish reminds me a lot of Bouder, which I am sure you have been to. Except Spearfish is smaller and not nearly as "yuppified". The scenery is very much like Boulder and it has a really neat downtown that kind of reminds me of Pearl Street in Boulder with all the good restaurants and neat boutiques. I really think you might enjoy Spearfish.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM

50 posts, read 165,641 times
Our website might be of some help to you. Teachers in SD use it for a teaching aid in elementary schools. www.travelinfomap.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota