Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

Looks like we don't do too bad and even some "red states" places very highly.
The Audacious Epigone: Better state IQ estimates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Hey, that's cool even though it may not be very scientific.

Wouldn't it be cool to move to one of the states that rated lower? Just think, we'd seem to be SO intelligent.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
worked for me.

when I moved out of SD to CA, I was so far ahead of my classmates, they had to give me some special projects. Reading makes your brain work faster. That's all that IQ is. Part of the IQ test is the speed with which you complete it accurately. It's sort of an RPM meter. So... READ TO YOUR KIDS!! And, of course, Move to South Dakota!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Hey --- LOL -- just reread the data... did you see the median IQ in our Nation's capital is the lowest! THIS explains EVErYtHING! Good Heavens....

Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 PM

22 posts, read 153,162 times
DC is significantly lower! 5.3 points under any other state. Anyone have any thoughts on why?

It makes sense that a lot of states with high percentages of students with English as a first language would score higher since the tests are in English. To get a real accurate picture you'd have to find out the IQs of foreign born students taking the test in the language they're fluent in.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate342 View Post
DC is significantly lower! 5.3 points under any other state. Anyone have any thoughts on why?
Maybe it's because all of the important government workers are all from other states (such as MA which ranked highest). No idea, but DC is actually pretty sketchy and rundown. Even across from the White House there is a lot of cheap housing. Only 40% of DC is white too.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,272 times
So Danny you're saying because DC is only 40% white, that is why they are not intelligent? Thats kind of racist.....My theory is that because they have politicians there in DC that brings them down, if you were to take them out, then they'd probably be around the average

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 AM

Please don't put words in my mouth. I said that when I was in DC it looked really rundown and sketchy and that only 40% 0f the city happened to be white people. St. Louis is 60% black but it is a pretty clean city. There are many dirty cities that are mostly white too. Look at San Jose, Pasadena, and Portland.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,182 times
The estimates were produced by taking the regression equations produced by running the numbers in the data table put together by Professor Richard Lynn. He correlates IQ scores with international math and science test scores (pp 173-175) and then adjusting the nominal test score values (by running an IQ of 98 through the regression equation produced by Lynn's numbers) on the international tests to the NAEP math and science tests in the US, I gave it a shot domestically. From the process described above and by applying equal weight to the science and math test scores by state comes the rankings. There is nothing subjective about it.Re: DC's low score, it is impossible not to mention race. I have used the exact same formula to estimate IQ by race and by state (please see here: [url=http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2006/11/iq-estimates.html]The Audacious Epigone: IQ estimates[/url]). The reason(s) behind the racial disparities are not something I claim to have any special knowledge of, however.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM

400 posts, read 1,237,994 times
Check us out, we got visited by the author!!

Nice to hear from you Audacious!

I think we're just that cool - anyone agree??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota