Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed since moving here (into a small, rural community) is that environmental issues seem to be given short shrift. I know that most are concerned about how they rotate their herds and crops through, and that some areas are looking at the bigger issues of green power, but what about the little stuff?

Kids aren't taught to recycle in school - you don't have to sort your recyclables from your trash, either. No one talks about water quality, except maybe when there is a drought, or to complain about how hard the water is. No one talks about conserving energy, turning off unused lights or carpooling. Biking or walking to work are the exceptions, not the rule.

Tomorrow is Earth Day...my daughter and I will be planting seeds in our front garden. I doubt they will even mention it at school. This makes me sad - even in an area that isn't seeing the immediate effects of our wasteful everyday activities like smog, running out of landfill space, or poisoned water - I still think we are doing our children a serious injustice by not teaching them what kind of impact our daily activities can have on the environment.

We still recycle since we moved here - it takes more effort now, because they don't pick up recyclables with the trash. We use CFLs in most all our lights in the house. We buy products with less wasteful packaging (anyone seen the new Sunchips bags?). We use reusable shopping bags. We turn off lights and unplug appliances that aren't being used. I will be biking to work this year.

I am taking my Girl Scout troop to Fort Meade next week to help plant trees at the reservoir for National Public Lands Day, and we are sending a CFL bulb home with each of them to use in their houses. We will also be teaching them about recycling, planting flowers, fruits and veggies, and how even one little effort on everyone's part can have an amazing impact on their environment.

We are spoiled, I think living in a relatively unspoiled environment in South Dakota. Our state's population is smaller than that of most medium-sized cities in the US. Man has still had a huge impact on the environment here, and it will only get worse if we continue to take what we have for granted.

Tomorrow is Earth Day - what will you be doing to show how thankful you are to live in a place so beautiful?

We did not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors - we are borrowing it from our children...where do you want your kids and grandkids to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
For those with livestock and crops it is an everyday event. If we don't take care of our lands grass soil trees we can't raise our crops. No crop no pay. No pay well you know. I like to think of it as stewardship.

The dust bowl served as a hard lesson learned.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
As much as the word "Earth" was used, in conversation, by my 5 yr old grandson, over the weekend, I think Earth Day was discussed @ preschool, last week!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
I know they focus on it at my kids pre-school as well - she is very into "keeping the Earth happy". We recycle and garden - she is very into it

Old 04-21-2010, 10:32 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
As much as the word "Earth" was used, in conversation, by my 5 yr old grandson, over the weekend, I think Earth Day was discussed @ preschool, last week!
Good to hear! Nothing at my daughter's elementary school...hope they spend more time on science in middle school, or I might have to have a chat with her teachers...

Old 04-21-2010, 01:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
I've always felt that most South Dakotans were very in touch with nature. Be it East River farmers, West River ranchers, or people who enjoy spending time in the beautiful Black Hills. Growing up, we recycled and tried to use as little energy as possible -also a financial issue, I'm sure. My mom gardened and I liked having fresh vegetables at meals. Home-canned tomatoes were a staple in almost every meal.

Our school did Earth Day activities like picking up trash, going to the landfill for field trips, having presentations, and learning about conservation. Even some cartoons growing up relayed the message to recycle and conserve.

Today, I'm lucky to live in Saint Paul which is one of the "greenest cities" in America. Most everyone here recycles and I see a lot of hybrid cars. The city is very bicycle friendly and everyone's very active. The activity and recreation here reminds me of Rapid City too.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,595 times
I don't think I'll do much different. I recycle aluminum, but should probably start recycling other stuff. I guess I do save newspapers, but not sure what to do with them. I don't use those new lights...for some reason we tried them and they didn't last very long at all. Don't know if it has something to do with our old house wiring or what. I really should start doing plastics.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM

142 posts, read 308,537 times
South Dakota is in a good position as it hasn't been almost irreversably polluted like some US states and as we see the younger generations age, more responsible decisions will be made to preserve the clean air, land, and water of SD. Knowing that, it will likely be business as usual here on Earth Day. People will still put their recyclables in the trash, dump waste chemicals on the ground, and some of my immediate family members will continue to throw their candy wrappers out of their car windows (I scold them severely for this). I'd rather not see a lot of oppressive environmental legislation, but instead I just wish people would make the right choices for the right reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota