Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Is there any evidence (or theories) that the solar flares we're having can have any effects on human health/behavior? Such as insomnia in sensitive people? Or other effects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Here's some reading for you on the largest solar flares during the last 200 years.....

Please go to this site and read: Archive of the most severe solar storms

IMO I would think that some people would be affected, good research project you have there......

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Thanks, that's interesting. Further fun with Google shows there are scientific studies that show definite effects of solar flares on human behavior--flares can especially impact the pineal gland and melatonin output. Excess melatonin can can lead to depression, increased emotional outbursts (even violence) and can effect sleep patterns with disturbed sleep, most especially restlessness and insomnia.

Some people with excess melatonin become sleepy while others react with hyper-activity, anxiety and nervousness.

One Russian scientist correlated the history of wars with solar flares..he was discredited back then but is gaining more credibility now...

Yep, fascinating stuff...makes sense that if solar flares can impact our communications systems, they can also impact our own body's electromagnetic fields.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Is there any evidence (or theories) that the solar flares we're having can have any effects on human health/behavior? Such as insomnia in sensitive people? Or other effects?
Yes. Cosmic rays are very high-energy particles. While the magnetosphere blocks the overwhelming vast majority of these cosmic rays, some still get through. Particularly during solar flares and CMEs when they are pointing in our direction. Not only can they effect electronics, they can also alter DNA and potentially cause cancers. Additionally, symptoms reported after a bout of high solar flare activity include nervousness, irritability, dizziness, low energy, heart palpitations, headaches, and nauseous.

Solar Flares and Its Impact on Earth and People | Truth N Health
How Solar Flares Affect Your Body - Health and Vitality

Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes. Cosmic rays are very high-energy particles. While the magnetosphere blocks the overwhelming vast majority of these cosmic rays, some still get through. Particularly during solar flares and CMEs when they are pointing in our direction. Not only can they effect electronics, they can also alter DNA and potentially cause cancers. Additionally, symptoms reported after a bout of high solar flare activity include nervousness, irritability, dizziness, low energy, heart palpitations, headaches, and nauseous.

Solar Flares and Its Impact on Earth and People | Truth N Health
How Solar Flares Affect Your Body - Health and Vitality
Yep, that all makes sense..me, I've got the restlessness, insomnia and rapid heart beat...now if I knew how to end these...the lack of sleep is getting problematic...my usual natural cures don't seem to work...my husband? Not affected at all...except by me reading into the wee hours and keeping the light on...hee hee.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Here it comes again...two nights of extreme insomnia...just found out this AM that we've had very strong flares over the last several days. This time, even my husband, the soundest of sleepers, has been very restless and been woken up by strange dreams.

Okay, now what? How do you deal with excess melatonin? And sensitivity to electromagnetic emissions? I HATE being up all night feeling restless and anxious...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
I have al;ways imagined that any particles that can penetrate the atmosphere can have affects on some people. Our hearts uses electricity. It makes sense.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here it comes again...two nights of extreme insomnia...just found out this AM that we've had very strong flares over the last several days. This time, even my husband, the soundest of sleepers, has been very restless and been woken up by strange dreams.

Okay, now what? How do you deal with excess melatonin? And sensitivity to electromagnetic emissions? I HATE being up all night feeling restless and anxious...
Yes, there were several strong X size solar flares the last few days, but none of them were pointing toward the Earth. None of the CMEs came anywhere close to Earth this past week.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-15-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have al;ways imagined that any particles that can penetrate the atmosphere can have affects on some people. Our hearts uses electricity. It makes sense.
Humans are not effected my electromagnetic energy. What effects humans are the high-energy cosmic particles that make it through our atmosphere. If such a particle comes in contact with your DNA, for example, it can knock a chunk out of it, causing mutations. Our "electrical system" is biochemical, not electromagnetic. Which is why we can subject ourselves to extremely high electromagnetic energy and not be effected, such as by a MRI scan.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Forget solar flares......light pollution causes cancers. Note the comments on melatonin in the articles

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark: The Surprising Link Between Light Pollution and Cancer | Breast Cancer on GOOD

Shedding Light on a Cause of Breast Cancer - Thinking Harder (usnews.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space