Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:14 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times

Advertisements

That "discovery" is flimsy beyond ridiculous. It is a shame they use raw stuff like that for the PR justifying future funding. Couldnt they find better ways to fund those facilities? It feels like yellow science journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
That "discovery" is flimsy beyond ridiculous.
How so? Please list examples to back up your claims.
Quote:
It is a shame they use raw stuff like that for the PR justifying future funding.
This sounds very uninformed perhaps you can flesh it out more to define what you mean by "raw stuff". While your at it perhaps you can explain to us your understand about funding in this specific case.
Quote:
Couldnt they find better ways to fund those facilities? It feels like yellow science journalism.
Better ways to fund?...give an example of what you are talking about? And what facilities are your referring to?

Can you define yellow science journalism?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 AM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Do tell what the point of this garbage you posted is about? Do you think the Earth is flat? Just exactly what point are you personally trying to say with these utterly bs videos?

I am surprised this is even allowed to be posted in the Space forum.
At a guess I'd say it was a knee jerk reaction to the news that the universe wasn't created by God. Mind you, 'space' ... ? You think maybe?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
At a guess I'd say it was a knee jerk reaction to the news that the universe wasn't created by God. Mind you, 'space' ... ? You think maybe?
I wish there were stricter rules so that bozos like the bible thumpers and space/science illiterate folks are not allowed to post their ignorant opinions...unless they can back them up with credible evidence, or their misrepresentations and misinterpretations as well as their non-credible videos.

They are merely thread hijacking polluters.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 AM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Golovacha View Post
I seen a light wave and a Partical double helix.I also saw a sub atomic worm hole open in my dinning room.Light escaped it but it was like a rainbow and it was moving along the carpet,like it was static electricity.

You make me think of the day I got this phone call from the police saying they had my son - naked. They picked him up walking up and down the street starkers. I found the remnants of his mushroom tee in the kitchen. That's not what the 'space' sub-forum is about.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-15-2016 at 02:19 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Quote:
How so? Please list examples to back up your claims.
This sounds very uninformed perhaps you can flesh it out more to define what you mean by "raw stuff". While your at it perhaps you can explain to us your understand about funding in this specific case.
Better ways to fund?...give an example of what you are talking about? And what facilities are your referring to?

Can you define yellow science journalism?
First, gravitational waves were "discovered" a few times before LIGO, false eager "discoveries" are nothing new. LIGO claims defy scientific method itself, they are not verifiable/testable, they are not repeatable. We are just invited to believe that staff scientists eliminated thousands possible reasons, known and unknown, that instrument could register a signal. Sorry, science is not faith based, I dont believe a scientist any more than than I believe anybody else whose paycheck is at stake. The fact that the news about gravitational waves was out and massively televised in spite of scientific method itself, suggests in no unsertain terms a PR campaign. Much like Coast-to-Coast-AM science funding depends on mesmerising of scientifically illiterate peasants and politicians with science like pulp fiction stripped of details and heavy stuff, just light fiction to keep imagination/interest going among the dumbest listeners who feel "included" and willing to pitch in in this way. Show me a politician who would dare to call for defunding of LIGO now.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
First, gravitational waves were "discovered" a few times before LIGO, false eager "discoveries" are nothing new.
No they were predicted before, not discovered.

Maybe you are confused. Please post your citations when you make claims that others don't buy.

Quote:
LIGO claims defy scientific method itself, they are not verifiable/testable, they are not repeatable.
I think you don't have a good understanding of the Scientific Method.

Was it predicted? Yes
Was it observed? Yes
Was it tested? Yes

The LIGO detectors have observed gravitational waves from the merger of two stellar-mass black holes.

The detected waveform matches the predictions of general relativity for the inspiral and merger of a pair of black holes and the ringdown of the resulting single black hole.

These observations demonstrate the existence of binary stellar-mass black hole systems. This is the first direct detection of gravitational waves and the first observation of a binary black hole merger.

Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger

Quote:
Sorry, science is not faith based,
You got that right! This is what separates it from both religion and philosophy. Science discoveries are based on the empirical evidence following the Scientific Method.
Quote:
I dont believe a scientist any more than than I believe anybody else whose paycheck is at stake.
Just as I don't believe a scientifically illiterate person whose religion is at stake due to scientific advancements.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
We are just invited to believe that staff scientists eliminated thousands possible reasons, known and unknown, that instrument could register a signal.
It appears that you don't know anything at all about the types of detectors they use.

Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger

*See* Section III Detectors

*See* Section IV Detector Validation

Old 06-16-2016, 01:34 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
LIGO scientists announced yesterday, June 15th, 2016 that LIGO detected the gravitational waves for a second time.
"The second discovery means the first discovery was not a one-off, 'we got lucky,' kind of thing," David Reitze, current executive director of the LIGO Laboratory, told Space.com. "If I could encapsulate what the second discovery means … it's that LIGO is for real."

LIGO scientists waited until now to announce the second detection because they had to make sure that it was real, and that it was caused by a black hole collision, team members said.
- See more at: Double Black Hole Collision Spotted By Gravitational Wave Detector

Again! Gravitational Waves Detected From 2nd Black Hole Collision | Video

Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Do tell what the point of this garbage you posted is about? Do you think the Earth is flat? Just exactly what point are you personally trying to say with these utterly bs videos?

I am surprised this is even allowed to be posted in the Space forum.
Why can't you watch them for yourself ?
What do you really know about this project and how it gained this "information",
then stretched that "information" to propose about two "colliding black holes" ?
It's bunk. B U N K bunk. Nothing personal ! And don't you dare drag religion into
this. I am not even talking about religion at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space