Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,842,110 times

Advertisements

I was at Yorktown, VA on the first day of my two weeks active duty in the US Coast Guard Reserve. I got there Sunday, July 20, 1969. The Apollo 11 crew were orbiting the moon. Since it was a Sunday we all had the day off and everyone gathered in front of the tv set in the lounge area.

We all watched as the lunar module set down on the Moon. And as it did, we all hugged and shouted. It was a joyous event. And we were all proud.

The following week-end I was in Washington D.C. and went to the Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institute. Everyone was so happy and proud of our astronauts.

We knew that in 30 years we would be on Mars.

And then something happened. We continued to send crews to the moon and it got to be routine and then people seemed to lose interest in the Apollo program. NASA was forced to cancel its last three missions.

It was struggling for public support. People turned inward instead of outward. And we have just been spinning around and around for 40 years.

I think it is high time to get back to the pride that was part of the Moon Missions. Let's go out and explore new worlds. We can do it with robots but we also need to do it with men and women too.

So what has the Space Program given America? I think the number one prize was pride in our selves. A knowing that if we set our sights on a goal and stuck with it, we could accomplish miracles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 PM

I wolrked atg a company in St. Louis that made the O-rings, gaskets for the Shuttles. So that is another company that benefited from NASA. That was back in 2001.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I was at Yorktown, VA on the first day of my two weeks active duty in the US Coast Guard Reserve. I got there Sunday, July 20, 1969. The Apollo 11 crew were orbiting the moon. Since it was a Sunday we all had the day off and everyone gathered in front of the tv set in the lounge area.

We all watched as the lunar module set down on the Moon. And as it did, we all hugged and shouted. It was a joyous event. And we were all proud.

The following week-end I was in Washington D.C. and went to the Space Museum at the Smithsonian Institute. Everyone was so happy and proud of our astronauts.

And then something happened. We continued to send crews to the moon and it got to be routine and then people seemed to lose interest in the Apollo program. NASA was forced to cancel its last three missions.

It was struggling for public support. People turned inward instead of outward. And we have just been spinning around and around for 40 years.

I think it is high time to get back to the pride that was part of the Moon Missions. Let's go out and explore new worlds. We can do it with robots but we also need to do it with men and women too.

So what has the Space Program given America? I think the number one prize was pride in our selves. A knowing that if we set our sights on a goal and stuck with it, we could accomplish miracles.
It gave us Hope for a better and brighter future for all Mankind. Where nations of this planet would eventually cooperate to explore the next frontier; collaborate together for knowledge and the "greater good"; put aside our differences and prejudices and eliminate warfare. The Space Program gave our nation a sense of purpose; something sorely missing in our current society.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
I wolrked atg a company in St. Louis that made the O-rings, gaskets for the Shuttles. So that is another company that benefited from NASA. That was back in 2001.
One of my company's customers just transported a piece of the space shuttle from Florida to California - both he and my company benefited.

Also, some years ago, I was working for a tech company who had a client that was a designer and manufacturer of hinges - that was their whole business. They made hinges for the space shuttle, as well as for Boeing and Northrop.

The space program benefits the nation in so many seemingly unseen ways. Some people have this idea that everything that NASA does happens in some government bubble, when the reality is that very little of it does - most of the work is contracted out to small businesses, which in turn benefits everyone.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Hey you guys, I'm signing off for about an hour. We have a thunderstrom, headed our way. I'm in Seguin, east of San Antonio and we have been in a big hurt by our drought condition. Maybe that weatherguy from up north of us is sending this weather our way. We'll take it!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hey you guys, I'm signing off for about an hour. We have a thunderstrom, headed our way. I'm in Seguin, east of San Antonio and we have been in a big hurt by our drought condition. Maybe that weatherguy from up north of us is sending this weather our way. We'll take it!
Hope you get some rain...we are in a prolonged drought here also; but we got 2 inches of rain this morning...but in Sarasota the sand soaked it right up....that isn't much rain by/for Florida standards but in Pennsylvania that would be a good amount of rain.....probably with some flooding.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Hope you get some rain...we are in a prolonged drought here also; but we got 2 inches of rain this morning...but in Sarasota the sand soaked it right up....that isn't much rain by/for Florida standards but in Pennsylvania that would be a good amount of rain.....probably with some flooding.
Well parts of the area got 2 to 4 inches. No rain here. Had some a couple of weeks ago, still not enough.As you can see back on the air. How about a live chat? I'll meet outside the box if your interested. I'm going to go outside a smoke a minute. I'll be there about 9:55 EST

Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Well parts of the area got 2 to 4 inches. No rain here. Had some a couple of weeks ago, still not enough.As you can see back on the air. How about a live chat? I'll meet outside the box if your interested. I'm going to go outside a smoke a minute. I'll be there about 9:55 EST
Sure... And for anyone interested in what our planet's space programs have accomplished, go to: www.WorldWideTelescope.org Fantastic Website!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM

Thank you ***!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:

The illustrious Richard Nixon happened. Everything was canceled except an early version of the Space Shuttle.

SPACE.com -- Greatest Space Events of the 20th Century: The 70s (http://www.space.com/news/spacehistory/greatest_70s_991230.html - broken link)

I agree with pride being a great gift given by the space program. But as it is said, Pride goeth before the fall, and so it did.

Our country rates past presidents on their achievements and their actions. I think the next president to gain the status of "Great" will be the one that truly reinstates our space program.

The single most important thing that can be done to regain world dominance is to create a permanent presence in space. Get a colony on the moon and start processing the metals and water found there to sustain it. Build magnetic launchers to send payloads into space. Use them to launch Mars missions. Start sending mining missions to the asteroids. There is so much out there that it is just plain stupid to ignore it until Russia or China gets to it. We all know the military will be a part of this and I don't think that's a bad thing as long as they behave themselves (yeah, that'll happen).

I have been waiting my entire life for the next "Great" president. Where is he/she?

Will private industry overtake NASA in the future?

As for results from the program there have been lists and links in other threads (dead ones) that show what has resulted. The benefits received by the human race from the space program are almost unimaginable. You can't put a monetary value on it, the value is too great. We have the technology given to the private sector, medicines, new materials, the list goes on.

The space program has paid for itself many times over and continues to do so to this day.

Now if we could just siphon some of the money from Iraq into the space program...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space