Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times

Advertisements

SPD is a language disorder that affects semantic processing and the pragmatics of language use. Pragmatics refers to the use of language in a social context (knowing what to say and when to say it to people). Semantics refers to the meanings of words and phrases.

Semantic pragmatic disorder - | autism | Asperger syndrome |

This finally makes sense!!!

My DSS is a gem!!! I love him! I am not questioning his diagnosis of Autism he recieved when he was 2-3. I was not there when he was diagnosed, so I did not see the symptoms the doctors or my DH saw during toddlerhood. I could only reference my experiences with DSS (from 5 to presently 12). What I see is confusion and an eagerness to please. He never lined up toys, nor did he spin. He developed speech late (3yo). He could spell ANY word after seeing it once. He was applying algebra to 3rd grade word problems (after I used a "B" to represent bike in a word problem on his math homework. (something along the lines of : there were 12 wheels, how many bikes were there... and I wrote it out as B * 2 = 12) Once he understood how to logistically write out his word problems, he solved them as an algebraic sentence, and his teach spoke on how advanced this was for his age.

I learned that my DSS can accomplish anything he sets out to do as long as he has clear, logical instructions. He is constantly watching us//his teachers/peers to get the right 'answer' to a situation. He cannot make a specific choice easily. Something as simple as choosing between two restaurants can be debilitating to him.

I am knocking ASD, and as I see it ASD is very closely related to SPLD, if not intermixed, definitely parallel. The thing is, ASD diagnosis has become so vague that any person who is slightly odd socially can 'fit' into the symptoms. I always thought DSS 'fit' the Aspergers symptoms best. other than he was mute until he started receiving services in preschool. The biggest flag for aspergers is that there is no delay in speech.

I showed my DH this website Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, SPD (High Functioning Autism) and he says this is the first time in 12 years he has seen DS in the list of symptoms.

The school has started a re-evaluation of DS (normal when going from primary to middle school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
"I showed my DH this website Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, SPD (High Functioning Autism) and he says this is the first time in 12 years he has seen DS in the list of symptoms."

I'm thrilled for all of you! It's nice to finally find the answer.

My son has Asperger's and it took me roughly 25 years to find the answer. I cried the first time I read about Asperger's - for there was my son.

Best of luck now as you all move forward with this new info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children