Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,471 times

Advertisements

If anyone can help me about the behavior of my baby..SHe's almost 3 but still she don't want to talk.At her age I'm still carrying her everytime were going out. the fact that she can walk but what is my problem is when were outside the house. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Are you in the United States? If so get to early intervention in your state for an evaluation. She can get speech therapy free or very low cost.

I doubt that she doesn't want to talk. She probably has a speech delay. As for carrying her outside, she may have low tone or she may be anxious about walking and want to be in mommy's arms. Do you have a stroller? I would not carry her, but at this age, you can use a stroller for longer trips. Does she play at the park or playground?

ECTACenter.org : The Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center : Improving Systems, Practices and Outcomes for Young Children with Disabilities and their Families

Old 11-21-2014, 12:47 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie250 View Post
If anyone can help me about the behavior of my baby..SHe's almost 3 but still she don't want to talk.At her age I'm still carrying her everytime were going out. the fact that she can walk but what is my problem is when were outside the house. What can I do?
Stop carrying her around. Are you also talking for her too, and anticipating what she wants?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Contact the school district that you are in. They can direct you to the right people to get an evaluation done regarding her speech. The testing and follow up are often free because it is a public school district.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Contact the school district that you are in. They can direct you to the right people to get an evaluation done regarding her speech. The testing and follow up are often free because it is a public school district.
Don't worry. Your child may have some speech and language difficulties that can be treated after she is evaluated. From your brief question, it is unclear if your daughter is able to talk but just prefers to be quiet or can not talk at all.

It is also possible that there are behavioral issues that can be addressed by talking it over with teachers and therapists after the evaluation and getting some suggestions or by taking parenting classes. Sometimes, children who are able to walk by themselves have been carried so often in the past that they simple prefer being carried or they may have some motor delays which make longer walks or outdoor walks harder.

Please just go to your neighborhood school and they will let you know what to do next. It probably will be as simple as writing a note, with the date and your signature, requesting an evaluation to get everything started.

Good luck to you and your preschooler.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-21-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Don't worry. Your child may have some speech and language difficulties that can be treated after she is evaluated. From your brief question, it is unclear if your daughter is able to talk but just prefers to be quiet or can not talk at all.

It is also possible that there are behavioral issues that can be addressed by talking it over with teachers and therapists after the evaluation and getting some suggestions or by taking parenting classes. Sometimes, children who are able to walk by themselves have been carried so often in the past that they simple prefer being carried or they may have some motor delays which make longer walks or outdoor walks harder.

Please just go to your neighborhood school and they will let you know what to do next. It probably will be as simple as writing a note, with the date and your signature, requesting an evaluation to get everything started.

Good luck to you and your preschooler.
Schools usually do NOT take over until children are 3. Early Intervention is the way to go. Your pediatrician can tell you who to call, but you do NOT need a referral.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Schools usually do NOT take over until children are 3. Early Intervention is the way to go. Your pediatrician can tell you who to call, but you do NOT need a referral.
The specifics depends on your state. Even way back in 1975 (when I started teaching) some states provided free, appropriate public education (public school programs) for handicapped children from birth (to age 21). Even 40 years ago, it was as simple as going to your neighborhood school to start the process. Although most did not provide the actual birth to three year old services in the elementary building the office would be able to direct you to the appropriate staff member or who to call.

Of course, your pediatrician can also tell you who to call.

nana053, is right, you do not need a referral. A parent can request an evaluation for their child themselves if they have concerns.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-21-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 09:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's hard to tell from your post the depth of the issue. Does your daughter have any speech at all? Do you have any reason to suspect (or have you had her tested for) hearing issues? Do you carry her because it's easier, or does she have mobility issues?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:05 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
While it may be difficult to accept, you should really have her evaluated for possible issues from delayed speech/hearing issues/other disorder to include autism.

Our children were very, very proactive in helping ensure our precious grandson was diagnosed as soon as possible when they discovered delays in his development, ensuring he got the required therapies ASAP to help him. This has made HUGE differences in his development since he has been diagnosed and receiving proper development assistance since the age of 2 1/2.

Blessings to you and your little one for quick answers and intervention if needed.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:14 AM

543 posts, read 999,780 times
OP, any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children