Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2023, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have daughter with Down Syndrome. She's 28 and we're starting to look at getting her into her own apartment. She currently has two jobs, rides the taxi by herself and is quite able to function on her own. She's active in Special Olympics all year long and typically logs 8-10 thousand steps a day on her fitbit.
However, our main concern is eating. When we eat together, we eat good foods and in the appropriate portions. It's when we're not around that she over does it. Five minutes after my wife and I leave the house she's in the cabinets and sometime eats two or three bananas. I believe she knows we don't want her to as it seems like she sneaks food into her room. Anyone have ideas on how to help her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 02:31 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I guess the first thing to do is rule out any health problems.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ia-hyperphagia

Old 02-05-2023, 03:26 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
It is impossible to answer because we do not know her medical history or pretty much any details. She is getting a good amount of activity. Unless what she eats is shown, we only have your info that the food is good and in appropriate portions. At 28, I ate a lot more than I did at 50 and I never gained weight. My husband and I comment on this now.

Sounds like the three of you do not have really good communication since you feel as if she is sneaking and are asking the internet instead of talking to her. A 28 year old with two jobs, able to travel independently, should be able to "snack" with their own choices. Bananas would not bother me since they are a healthy choice. My husband eats two smallish apples every day.

Overfocusing on food and diet can be as much of an issue as ignoring serious health issues.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:25 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
She sounds like a great young lady. I’d have no issues with her eating as many bananas as she liked. Don’t buy junk food so when she does graze it’s on healthy foods. Grapes radios a nuts fruit.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,480 times
I guess I threw everyone off with simply using bananas as an example. It's not bananas, but all other foods such as eating a couple plain hamburger buns. She does not realize how much she's eating which sometimes causes her to get the runs or throw up. There are no health issues. I read that individuals with Downs Syndrome have higher levels of Leptin which is a hormone that contributes to appetite regulation and satiety. I was reaching out to see if other parents face similar issues and have found a process that works

Old 02-06-2023, 08:57 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
Found a fantastic article which goes into great detail about all the factors that can be involved. It is so specific to your child's level of ability. Does she retain lessons regarding eating? Does she or can she make good choices based on earlier education? Note the rest of the population can be subject to exactly the same issues.

Do you think she is hungry? Increase fiber intake during regular meals. Increase hydration.
Do you think she is bored? Are there things she can be redirected to do?
Do you think she is stressed and eating makes her calm?
Does she need to know there are healthy snacks available for her? I am thinking carrots and fruit ready in the fridge. 100 calorie packages of snacks.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blo...ting-too-much/

https://alliedhealth.ceconnection.co...3008186813.pdf

Last edited by sweetana3; 02-06-2023 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-14-2023, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,995 times
Children are more likely to participate in the selection and preparation of food for them. They enjoy telling everyone in the family that they prepared the food, will be eating it, and are looking forward to your appreciation.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:01 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I have a 36 year old son with Down syndrome, but do not have that problem. If I were you, I would join an online or FB group for parents/guardians of adults with Down syndrome.

I am not sure where you are, or if you are aware of "resources" that might have information. People with DS are so varied, as I have met a few.

https://www.ndsccenter.org/ That one probably has the best listing of resources.

All I could suggest would be to shop with her, and point out lower calorie/healthier/foods that won't cause intestinal or stomach distress for her, and have her choose what she wants. Maybe she is still hungry after the meal, or if it were my son, he would do it just because he knew I didn't want him to (must find residential soon). I let my son have some snacks in little silicon snack bowls, like dried fruits, nuts, healthier chip items - just a small amount in his room after the main meal. He doesn't like sweetened things, which is a real plus. Items that don't spoil, and it gives him "control" over whether he would like to eat them or not.

I would explain that particular foods were going to make her have "sick" issues if eaten too much, etc.

Otherwise, you'll have to lock things up. When on her own, it will be difficult to control.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,995 times
Lack of sleep can disrupt hormones and increase hunger and cravings. Aim to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night to support healthy eating habits. Try her to eat slowly and savor her food which can help her feel fuller and more satisfied with smaller portions. Must start drinking water before meals can help her feel fuller and reduce the amount of food she eats. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Please avoid eating in front of the TV or while scrolling through her phone can lead to mindless eating. Try her to focus on her food and enjoy the experience of eating. Instead of reaching for sugary or processed snacks, try to find healthier alternatives like fresh fruit, nuts, or Greek yogurt.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:03 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,775,839 times
Many adults with Trisomy 21 are quite overweight. Sounds as if she's doing wonderfully in other areas. Controlling one's food intake is a challenge for lots of people, not only those with Trisomy 21. You may gently teach, train, praise, etc, and she may still binge eat the second she is able to, because she feels a strong need to do so.

Have you considered that this may be enough of an issue that perhaps she's not ready to live independently? You'll have to weigh the benefits of her living alone, controlling her own diet along with many other aspects of her life, against the drawbacks of her possibly becoming very overweight, and the serious health consequences that come with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children