Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 24,096 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking for property in the ne corner of washington to camp on at first, then build on later. We want property that gets alot of snow and stays around. From the research i have done it looks like the metaline falls,ione cusick area gets more snow then colville and kettle falls. Do any of you have first hand experience with the weather in this area in the winter? Heavy winter snowfall is what we are looking for. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 24,096 times
nobody?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
From the pics I get of my friend living above Ione, you can expect plenty of snow (~3-4ft from Dec - April). You need to get some elevation (valley gets lots of winter fog and much less snow). and there is a MASSIVE difference in Climate between Cusick and Kettle Falls (different sides of a mountian range). Similar to my joint, there are 7 distinct climate zones between me and town (5 miles and 800 ft of elevation change). And town is in a much wider portion of the valley. (less wind)

BTW: Kettle Falls / Coleville is much milder and more sunny. You will find that in most of the Mtn states, AFTER the Cascades west side will be more parched (in general) and the storms will 'camp-out' most heavily on the NE corner of a Mtn range. There is probably some significant 'shearing' effect on the moisture in clouds as they roll over mtns and into higher pressure areas.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Haven't lived in the Cusick/Ione area but hunted for years in the fall/winter and backpacked/camped for years all over the area.

Stealth Rabbit is right--elevation makes all the difference. Metaline Falls, Cusik, Ione all get more snow than Colville and Kettle Falls. The river helps mitigate the climate around Kettle Falls and Colville is at a lower elevation in the valley.

If memory serves me, it seemed Metaline Falls area got more snow than Cusik and for sure Ione. You can get a lot of snow and cold there.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,282 times
Default Snowfall Metaline Falls

It is common for Metaline Falls to get more snow than Ione. I live 500ft higher in elevation than Metaline Falls (and 3 miles north) I get more snow thanMetaline Falls. This winter there is a decent snow pack, close to twice the amount in therecent past winter, approx 4ft. I hope you find your property, this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. (I have been lucky enough to go to quite a few places around the globe, so feel I can say that with some authority).

Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 PM

486 posts, read 843,106 times
Hey that's great....nothing like responding to a 6+ year old thread! You think they might have found it by now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area