Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy 50 ish,wondering where the best part of town to get an apartment.I do a lot of cycling and I'm in good shape and health,but I probably fit in with people a bit younger than myself.I've read that South Hill is a good part of town.Are there good places of employment there also.I've worked in construction most of my life,but I was wondering about possibly a manufacturing job.I'm planning on moving near the end of the summer.Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,212,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfromiowa View Post
I'm a single guy 50 ish,wondering where the best part of town to get an apartment.I do a lot of cycling and I'm in good shape and health,but I probably fit in with people a bit younger than myself.I've read that South Hill is a good part of town.
South hill is pretty good, it's a mixed neighborhood really. Google "Apartments in Spokane" and look around for your price range to get an idea of neighborhoods you want to live in before you move here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfromiowa
Are there good places of employment there also.I've worked in construction most of my life,but I was wondering about possibly a manufacturing job.I'm planning on moving near the end of the summer.Any help would be appreciated.
There are good places of employment here if you have a degree+skills, or a lot of experience, or some combination therof. The people who struggle to find jobs are only high school graduates with little or no experience. There is huge competition for the dog crumbs under the table (ie minimum wage, labor, jobs which you can get without a diploma). My advice to anyone looking to move ANYWHERE, before you just 'up and move,' make sure you secure employment! Google some Spokane businesses in your field and call up each one, ask if they have positions open for <list your qualifications>.

You can also search sites such as Spokesmanjobs.com (http://www.spokesmanjobs.com/employment/ - broken link) and look for recent postings.

Definitely, don't hop into a new state and just hope that a job will appear for you while you get settled in. Or you might end up at burger king, working a side job at a call center, working a third weekend job stealing bikes. Joke. But seriously, secure a good job here and then all doors will open for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area