Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM

37 posts, read 108,393 times

Advertisements

Hi folks... I'm fairly new to Spokane and hoping someone might be willing to share some doggie outing spots with me!

I'm trying to find some off-the-beaten-path creeks or rivers I can take my dog to. I still don't know the ins and outs of Spokane, especially the hidden dog spots. And I just want to find a somewhat secluded spot where we won't likely run into other people with their dogs, and where she can just stick her feets in and lap up the water (she doesn't like swimming, but she LOVES running streams where she can watch the water and drink from it).

Any secret spots anyone can recommend?

I drove along N Little Spokane Drive today but couldn't find any spot to pull over and get to the river. Where can I go to do that?!

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,991 times
There is spot off the Centennial Trail near the Nine Mile dam - if you park at the lot off Charles Rd. and walk south along the trail, there's a nice place with a beach where you can let the dog play in the water. It's near where there's a footbridge that is part of the trail - I'm sure you'll see it.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
There is spot off the Centennial Trail near the Nine Mile dam - if you park at the lot off Charles Rd. and walk south along the trail, there's a nice place with a beach where you can let the dog play in the water. It's near where there's a footbridge that is part of the trail - I'm sure you'll see it.
Thank you so much Wendy! I will go check it out. Is it fairly private, do you often run into other people with dogs?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 PM

It's pretty private - you'll mostly see walkers and bikers on the trail - not too many with their dogs.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM

231 posts, read 590,563 times
Since you mentioned Little Spokane Dr. I assume you are up North. Our dogs had a great time in the Little Spokane River at Pine River Park which is just north of Wandermere Golf Course. The park is located on Greenleaf Dr near Little Spokane Dr. There is a bridge that goes over the river to a little picnic area. It worked well for us because the only way into the area was over the little bridge so we could see if people or people with dogs were coming and leash up our dogs if needed. The water is shallow there with a few surpsrising deep sections that my curious dog found by accident. You just have to be smart and go at off hours when there is less chance of people being there.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Since you mentioned Little Spokane Dr. I assume you are up North. Our dogs had a great time in the Little Spokane River at Pine River Park which is just north of Wandermere Golf Course. The park is located on Greenleaf Dr near Little Spokane Dr. There is a bridge that goes over the river to a little picnic area. It worked well for us because the only way into the area was over the little bridge so we could see if people or people with dogs were coming and leash up our dogs if needed. The water is shallow there with a few surpsrising deep sections that my curious dog found by accident. You just have to be smart and go at off hours when there is less chance of people being there.
Yes, I'm on the north side and actually found that park too. But when I went there were people picnicking and it was a little crowded. I'll have to try again sometime at different hours. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
It's pretty private - you'll mostly see walkers and bikers on the trail - not too many with their dogs.
I actually have been by there before but never found access to the river. Do you park in that lot on the right side of Charles road, across from the fire station? And get on the trail right there, does it lead to river access?

Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWpibble View Post
I actually have been by there before but never found access to the river. Do you park in that lot on the right side of Charles road, across from the fire station? And get on the trail right there, does it lead to river access?
If you turn on Charles and then take a left at the road next to the ranger station (Carlson Rd), it leads up to another parking lot. I get on the trail there and walk about 1/2 mile or so to where there's a bridge. There are footpaths down to the beachy, sandy area and you can get to the water. Hope that helps!!

You can also go off to the right from this section and head into the cool rock formations to explore that part of the park.

Last edited by WendyK; 06-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: something to add

Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
If you turn on Charles and then take a left at the road next to the ranger station (Carlson Rd), it leads up to another parking lot. I get on the trail there and walk about 1/2 mile or so to where there's a bridge. There are footpaths down to the beachy, sandy area and you can get to the water. Hope that helps!!

You can also go off to the right from this section and head into the cool rock formations to explore that part of the park.
Ok great, thank you so much for the extra help (I need it)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: