Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,713 times

Advertisements

Football is a sport that is notorious for its collisions and its ensuing concussions... It has become apparent that concussions are simply a part of the game and after their illustrious careers (sometimes only after a couple of seasons), players are left with incredibly debilitating head trauma, from playing the sport.

Brain scans of high school and college football players whose brains resembled that of an 80 year old man, due to the head trauma they suffer. Mild concussions are nearly a routine part of football practices, which may be held 4 or 5 days a week, for up to two hours a day. Depression and suicidal behavior is exponentially higher for football players than the average person, due to the head trauma suffered during gameplay.

Yet, because players were expected to be tough and shrug off a little lightheadedness/feinting spell, this information has only recently began to come to the fore...football is actually a rather dangerous game.

This is a particularly interesting article which chronicals football head injuries.

Football Too Dangerous? NFL Studies Head Injuries - TIME
'Ticking timebomb' in US colleges as American football head injuries linked to dementia | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,437,137 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems head injuries in the NFL are a result of players using their helmets as weapons. It seems like players are much more ballsy in American football about going aftter opponets, helmet-to-helmet, because they know they have that their own helmet to "protect" them.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems head injuries in the NFL are a result of players using their helmets as weapons. It seems like players are much more ballsy in American football about going aftter opponets, helmet-to-helmet, because they know they have that their own helmet to "protect" them.
A deliberate helmet-to-helmet hit is illegal in football, resulting in a maximum penalty (15 yards). If an NFL player doe it to an opponent who's in a defenseless posture, they can also expect to pay a fine of up to $100,000 depending on the severity of the hit and/or if it resulted in an injury.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A deliberate helmet-to-helmet hit is illegal in football, resulting in a maximum penalty (15 yards). If an NFL player doe it to an opponent who's in a defenseless posture, they can also expect to pay a fine of up to $100,000 depending on the severity of the hit and/or if it resulted in an injury.
And unfortunately this is a rule that has been created only recently...a bit too late for some

Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Some of them probably are but you can not get hit in the head and still suffer a head injury. Getting your body jarred in the many they do can lead to brain problems due to spine damage.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,358,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So what?! View Post
Thats because rugby is a better game than AFL. (Union is anyway)
absolutely not

Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Football = Collision sport that focuses on territory.

Rugby = Contact sport focusing on possession...

many more head on collisions in Football..pads actually hurt more, not less..they simply protect the bones from shattering...I have a ton of respect for rugby guys...its physically demanding and you have to be one tough bastard to play it....but they are really hard to compare apples to apples.
unless you're calling Football = AFL

Aussie Rules & Rugby - whilst both popular in Australia are completely different games

Quote:
That "stupid padding" means they end up hitting each other way harder. Believe me, it still hurts. Pads notwithstanding, the average NFL career is less than 3 years because of injuries. Those who do manage a long successful career (say, 10 years) almost inevitably end up living with some sort of pain for the rest of their lives. A successful NFL career also means they will probably have their lifespans shortened by several years. Even with the "stupid padding" American football is extremely hard on your body.

Oh, and yes they are bigger. Obviously the linemen are way bigger, but even the speedy runner positions (wide receiver, safety, cornerback) are bigger too.
the average career of an Aussie Rules Fooballer is 4 years.

Players are often left with injuries (especially knees) and are in pain for the rest of their life.

There are many stories where some ex-players struggle to get out of bed, etc

There is now a fund where current players pay a portion of their salary to fund injury-related surgery for past players -before the sport became "professional - (which is also accessible to current players when they retire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
It's apples and oranges. The NFL is all violent collisions, but Aussie rules is more demanding on the Cardiovascular system.

Not knocking Aussie Rules. I wish it was easier to watch on TV. Espn 2 shows it maybe once every 3 months.

If anyone knows a way to watch I'd like to hear it.
Is setanta available in the states?

This link might help:
Complete AFL TV Schedule for USA and Canada | Australian Football Association of North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
absolutely not
spot on, krudmonk

Old 07-21-2010, 01:31 AM

I pick it up every Monday on the MHZ network, which one of the local PBS stations carries as secondary programming on its digital signal.

BTW Ozgal, I finally caught a Richmond Tigers game last week against the Swans. I really liked what I saw -- they played with a lot of heart and overcame a 30-some point 3rd quarter deficit to win the game.

Spent about 15 minutes this past Monday watching the Bulldogs destroy Carlton. I couldn't take it any more and had to turn the channel.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 AM

Here's a list of stations that carry MHZ programming:

http://www.mhznetworks.org/mhzworldview/affiliates/ (broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 03:44 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
I pick it up every Monday on the MHZ network, which one of the local PBS stations carries as secondary programming on its digital signal.

BTW Ozgal, I finally caught a Richmond Tigers game last week against the Swans. I really liked what I saw -- they played with a lot of heart and overcame a 30-some point 3rd quarter deficit to win the game.

Spent about 15 minutes this past Monday watching the Bulldogs destroy Carlton. I couldn't take it any more and had to turn the channel.
Haha good effort!
That was a top game by the tigers, they're going to
be very good in a few years - as well as Melbourne the most exciting young teams at the moment.

Saints lost to collingwood, which was diabolical considering how much I dislike them, and at the moment there are 5 sides with a real chance to win the flag this year.....

That bulldogs vs carlton game started off alright - but carlton dropped off way to easily -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports