Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM

48 posts, read 191,028 times

Advertisements

It seems like almost every game in the playoffs, or regular season is a blowout. I'm very disappointed in this year playoffs. The heat will win the NBA title by sweeping whoever comes outta the west. I see the heat winning the 4 titles in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM

45 posts, read 85,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsboy701 View Post
It seems like almost every game in the playoffs, or regular season is a blowout. I'm very disappointed in this year playoffs. The heat will win the NBA title by sweeping whoever comes outta the west. I see the heat winning the 4 titles in the future.
Actually it seems to me that most games in the regular season, and so far at least half of the playoff games have not been blowouts. Heck, the Wizards beat the Heat earlier in the season when the Wizards were really struggling, the Pistons beat them, they struggled against the Bobcats, the Cavaliers almost beat them a couple times, the Bucks beat them once and another Bucks game went into overtime, etc.

So I'd say that most games are NOT blowouts and most teams in the NBA are pretty good . . . just some teams have had trouble playing well consistently enough for four quarters to routinely pull out wins. For example, the Cavaliers. The Cavs actually played well this year even though they had a horrible record and a couple bad losing streaks. They gave teams generally considered the best a tough challenge. They just couldn't do it consistently enough for 48 minutes per game to pull out the wins they needed.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,365 times
When has there ever been competitive balance in the NBA? The 70's?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,454 times
Each team has only five players who can be on the court at one time. Makes it much harder for a team that has a bunch of good players to defeat a team that has one to three great players.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,476 times
I think the new nba contract with the players union really kicks in on luxury tax after the 2014 season-----I believe every dollar a team is over the cap they get penalized something like 250%.

Teams that are now over the cap can make another run next year and than they will really have to watch their budgets-----as none of the owners will want to get penalized by paying many many millions for being over the cap.

Teams like Miami with their big three accounting for over $50 m a year will be in a much tougher positions to add pieces without have to pay exhorbitant penalites-----------------this should bring about more competitive balance to the league.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM

462 posts, read 427,851 times
There's never been competitive balance when you consider the Lakers and Celtics have won nearly half of all the NBA championships.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I think the new nba contract with the players union really kicks in on luxury tax after the 2014 season-----I believe every dollar a team is over the cap they get penalized something like 250%.

Teams that are now over the cap can make another run next year and than they will really have to watch their budgets-----as none of the owners will want to get penalized by paying many many millions for being over the cap.

Teams like Miami with their big three accounting for over $50 m a year will be in a much tougher positions to add pieces without have to pay exhorbitant penalites-----------------this should bring about more competitive balance to the league.
it won't bring competitive balance. There's been a salary cap since 1984 and there hasn't been competitive balance. You had more competitive balance before the salary cap.

What your suggesting will actually harm the quality of the NBA. You don't want the Miami heat to field the best team possible. Why not? The product on the court will be much better. Or is the goal to just get all teams to suck equally?

Besides..what's so good about competitive balance? I want to see greatness and then I want to see greatness fall.

If you want more competitive balance then get rid of the salary cap and allow professional players overseas to enter the league without going through the draft (like what baseball does).

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM

252 posts, read 258,564 times
Most angles have already been covered but I'll add another. Splitting the league between West and East.

NBA players are the most interested in off the court aspects when choosing a destination. The Western teams tend to have better weather and less media scrutiny.

Look at how much teams in the North East struggle to reel in superstars without overpaying.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,949,042 times
I think it has to do with how teams are run. The Knicks have the biggest market and the draw of NYC and it's lifestyle for a 20-something year old millionaire. Yet they have not been good for very long stretches. There last NBA Title came in 1973. Boston used to be the standard. But that was 40 years ago! Team management is to blame IMO. When management changes, who knows what will happen to the team. The Lakers have been lucky to be family run for the last 35 years. But most teams today are run by millionaires who have the money to own a team and nothing more.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
I liked the condensed schedule last year because it forced teams to rest people which put more of a focus on the whole roster.

Also there were less teams 25 years ago. The talent pool is diluted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports