Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times

Advertisements

Anyone's opinion change about Murray after watching this?

Andy Murray ~ The Man Behind The Racquet [Full BBC Documentary] - YouTube

I don't get how some people think he's an unlikeable guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,594 times
I'm not a huge tennis fan but I do like Murray. Him and Federer are my favourite. I think Murray is a dry****e but so is many people around the world. Wouldn't dislike him because of it. I suppose you would be a bit if you were there at Dunblane the way Murray was.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times
Probably because of this:

Enough is enough, Murray and Nadal - Peter Bodo Blog - ESPN

It's a phenomenon only a lemming could truly appreciate. With European teeters on the edge of a multi-national economic collapse and nobody in the U.S. able to find a job -- never mind a decently paying, enjoyable one -- some top ATP pros are complaining that they're overworked and underpaid.

It all began with Andy Murray back during those gloomy rain delays during the U.S. Open. He groused about the players having too little say in the decision-making process (in that case, when it was safe and reasonable to resume play). It was a somewhat valid complaint, but soon Murray also declared that should the U.S. Open go to a 15-day event (like the French Open did, with a Sunday start), he wants to see prize money increased "substantially." Note that though the tournament would start earlier, neither Murray nor anyone else would be playing more matches than he already does.

Beyond that, even Murray admits that the ATP demands mandatory participation in tournaments only to the tune of 18-weeks (mainly Grand Slam and Masters Series events). That's it. And though a ranking is computed on the basis of 18 tournaments (as opposed to weeks), nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head to force him to load up on tournaments to beef up his ranking, his endorsement bonuses or marketability. And certainly nobody is forcing guys like Nadal and Murray to participate in remunerative exhibitions -- or to take the huge appearance fees paid by lower-grade (ATP 250) tournaments.

Of the players' willingness to play those events, Murray lamely says: "When we play the Masters Series and the Slams, we're playing against the best players in the world every time. Sometimes it's nice to go to a tournament like [an ATP 250, with its lavish guarantees] when you don't have to kill yourself in every single match."

For gosh sakes, Andy, how much easier do you want it? Or perhaps I should ask, how many different ways do you want it?

Lastly, lodging these complaints at this time of economic uncertainty (wait until tournaments start going under -- then we'll see how arduous the calendar is) seems at best tone deaf, especially in a world where nobody's life is being lost or saved because of tennis.

================================================== ==============

andy murry = pretentious little **** deeply out of touch with reality

but the OP backs him based on what it says on his passport so this post will be lost on him.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Right ok. You call him pretentious but you are impulsively judgmental. I DO ACTUALLY think he is a nice guy who are you to say otherwise? And you pinpoint Murray and Nadal but, as every tennis fan knows, this is something countless players have referred to! But yeah pick them out to prove your point why don't ya. So are all tennis stars, or sport stars in general, the same as Andy or because of what's on HIS passport is he a special case?

I agree players should have a say in decision making any road. They don't deserve any more money but they should have a say on tennis matters, especially if there are tons of tennis men and women agreeing.

I asked a question, you could have gave an answer and not have jumped to conclusions or cast aspersions about me.

Andy Murray, OBE - GRAND SLAM CHAMPION, OLYMPIC GOLD & SILVER MEDALLIST and World #2 and STILL people, in England in particular talk about him like worse than John Terry! He had BANTER with Henman about England at the World Cup and people hold that against him! Have you a sense of humour?

He came 3rd in UK Sports personality of the year, so he clearly is liked so Murray haters are in the minority thank god. I hope he wins Wimbledon this year I will respect and admire him for it and I am sure most Brits will also.

Last edited by paull805; 06-25-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
One of the other ATP Tour guys described the Top 4 as extremely boring, that was when Nadal was in front of David Ferrer.
Well they can no longer say anything controversial, so better to give the media nothing to talk about.
Murray has contested 3 of the previous 4 Grand Slam Finals - that says enough about his character to me.
Also, the guys ranked lower in the tour do not make that much money - it is great that 1st and 2nd Round prize money at Majors has significantly increased, at least to cover their expenses.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Andy has a very dry sense of humour which I like... hes not the dour Scot some seem to see... great stuff Andy.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Personally I don't think he is a drug cheat or involved in many fixing of matches and spot fixing like many of the mens players.
For that reason I respect and have time for him.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Personally I don't think he is a drug cheat or involved in many fixing of matches and spot fixing like many of the mens players.
For that reason I respect and have time for him.
Do you really think that players that can earn millions of dollars from prize money and endorsements, would risk this for something as silly as match or spot fixing?
I don't think this is the 1st time you have made such outlandish accusations without back-up.

Last edited by Derek41; 07-09-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Do you really think that players that can earn millions of dollars from prize money and endorsements, would risk this for something as silly as match or spot fixing?
I don't think this is the 1st time you have made such outlandish accusations without back-up.

I said many of the players. Many of the players are ranked outside the top earners. Though even sometimes for the top earners the dangled carrot is too hard to refuse. As for the drug/banned substance use I thought everyone in the know, is aware it is rampant on the ATP tour.

Discussing match-fixing with the BBC in 2007, Andy Murray called the practice "disappointing" but acknowledged that "everyone knows that it goes on." Describing the financial temptation for a journeyman player, he sounded almost sympathetic.

Here are some links for backup of the fixing. Remember for every cheat caught there are far,far more that aren't and its very hard to prove in many cases. They weren't born yesterday :

Does tennis have a match-fixing problem? | SportsonEarth.com : Patrick Hruby Article

Serbian tennis player banned for match-fixing | The Jakarta Post

Increase in injured players? Or increase in fixed matches? | Paid tennis tips, tennis picks, tennis betting tips, tennis predictions, tennis tips betting, tennis bet tips, tips for betting

Tennis: Betfair calls off all wagers on $7m tennis tie | Sport | The Guardian

Last edited by dave nz; 07-09-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM

For the record for me it is very disappointing what it has become. Goes against everything sport should be about.
Would very much like it to be stamped out. However that is not a reality and it is what it is.
The more resources they use to minimise it as much as possible, the better.

Last edited by dave nz; 07-09-2013 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports