Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 AM

14,513 posts, read 20,713,050 times

Advertisements

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-m...394--golf.html

Woods missed two majors in the summer of 2011 to let his leg injuries heal.
He was 35. Now he's 38. It had been three years since he last won a major. Now it's six years.

Louisville:

Woods said he was pain-free after playing nine holes Wednesday. He said his back was a little stiff after a 74 on Thursday. And he said his back ''went out on me'' on the range and ''I just had to play through it'' on his way to another 74.
''I didn't really notice that,'' Phil Mickelson said when asked about Woods' injury
The trouble assessing injuries is that only the athlete knows how bad it hurts. It's even more complicated when the athlete - Woods - isn't forthcoming about it.

Nine years ago in the parking lot at Doral, as Woods was about to embark on his next great run in the majors, he said he wouldn't be on tour forever.
''I'll definitely quit the game earlier than people think,'' Woods said. ''The only reason I would play is the occasional tournament if my son is good enough to be out there, and he chooses to play.''
This was four years before his son was born.
''When my best isn't good enough to win anymore, I'm walking,'' Woods said. ''I've won tournaments when I wasn't playing my best. If I play my best and don't win, there's no reason to be out here.''

He is four PGA Tour wins away from breaking the record of Sam Snead (82). He is five majors away from breaking the major championship record by Nicklaus (18). Woods has been stuck on 14 majors since 2008 at the U.S. Open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,263,929 times
Do you think that bulking up has been detrimental to his:

1) swing?

2) health?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,248,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Nine years ago in the parking lot at Doral, as Woods was about to embark on his next great run in the majors, he said he wouldn't be on tour forever.
''I'll definitely quit the game earlier than people think,'' Woods said. ''The only reason I would play is the occasional tournament if my son is good enough to be out there, and he chooses to play.''
This was four years before his son was born.
''When my best isn't good enough to win anymore, I'm walking,'' Woods said. ''I've won tournaments when I wasn't playing my best. If I play my best and don't win, there's no reason to be out here.''

He is four PGA Tour wins away from breaking the record of Sam Snead (82). He is five majors away from breaking the major championship record by Nicklaus (18). Woods has been stuck on 14 majors since 2008 at the U.S. Open.
I suspect Woods thought he'd break Nicklaus' record before his game would decline to the point where his best wouldn't be good enough to win.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,937,783 times
I honestly believe if Woods was not playing in the same group as Phil Mickelson he would have WD'd on Friday before going to the back-nine. Just my opinion... but I don't think he likes showing any "weakness" towards Phil especially in the same group. However... he had no business being out there, he did worse than any good for himself.

With that said... I don't really think bulking up was his issue, however it's his "bad habits" that he seems to have in terms of his swing. He's trying to make changes to make up for his surgeries and injuries but yet he's still putting so much pressure and torque especially on his back that he'll never get healthy. If he can't fix how he's following through with his swing he'll never again be 100%.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I suspect Woods thought he'd break Nicklaus' record before his game would decline to the point where his best wouldn't be good enough to win.
One question is whether he will retire so there are enough years left for the world to think, "oh without injuries he would have beaten Jack's record" or he trudges on year after year until age 45+ and does not beat the record.
And if he does keep on until age 45-49 and fails to break the record, then his legacy as the best ever will be tarnished. He did the right thing by not being on the Ryder Cup team. Watson (and Nicklaus) should not have picked him due to his inability to make cuts and finish in the top 50, and by backing out of the Ryder Cup he saved Tom Watson the difficult decsion to take him because of who he is or pick someone else because he was not playing well. And his Ryder Cup record is not that great. He has never been known as a team player.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,181,457 times
I don't understand all the hype about Tiger Woods. He has not been relevant for YEARS. I was watching the PGA championship last weekend and his name kept popping up. Why??? Golf has a new crop of stars and Tiger is just another John Daly.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,937,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I don't understand all the hype about Tiger Woods. He has not been relevant for YEARS. I was watching the PGA championship last weekend and his name kept popping up. Why??? Golf has a new crop of stars and Tiger is just another John Daly.
Comic relief my man... comic relief.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 AM

Tiger is what age 38 and maybe 10 more good years due to his skill level, compared to others age 45-48?
He has not won a major in 5 years and I do not think he will play 8-10 more years if he does not win a major soon. He does not want history to say he won 14 majors by age 33 and then in his last 13-15 years on tour he won zero. He won't let the lack of majors go that long. He'll retire early due to medical to save face.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Comic relief my man... comic relief.
Yeah, couldn't possibly be because people still like to follow the guy.

Just like people still liked to watch the Bear past his prime and same for other sports too.

He's a huge huge draw even still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports