Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is more exciting?
Men's College Basketball Tournaments 17 73.91%
College Football Bowl Games 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,922 times

Advertisements

I personally like the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournaments. They are the most exciting events in all sports. Just prior to the College Football Playoff system, the BCS meant nothing to me because even if you won, tere is no moving on unlike the March Madness. So therefore I believe the March Madness is more exciting in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I personally like the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournaments. They are the most exciting events in all sports. Just prior to the College Football Playoff system, the BCS meant nothing to me because even if you won, tere is no moving on unlike the March Madness. So therefore I believe the March Madness is more exciting in my opinion.
Good question. I'd say the tournament because of the prospect of major upsets.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:15 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Good question. I'd say the tournament because of the prospect of major upsets.
That and the fact so many people have filled out brackets.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
March Madness, easily. I also feel it's the greatest event in sports.

College football puts too much emphasis on the regular season for this to be a fair comparison. Who wants to watch 76 teams play for a consolation prize? In college basketball, a good coach can help his players learn from their mistakes over the course of a season. There is no "controversy" about teams who won over 80% of their games not being able to compete for the championship.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:00 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Who wants to watch 76 teams play for a consolation prize?
Participation trophies vs 40 College Bowl trophies

Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
March Madness to me by far because each game means something. In theory each win keeps your championship hopes alive. In football unless you are one of the 4 teams you have no chance at a championship. Maybe it's just me but if I want to Minnesota, a school without a real chance to win a title in either sport, I would take more pride in my team getting to the Sweet Sixteen than I would with a win in the Holiday Bowl. In addition you have the possibility huge upsets, George Mason making the Final Four was something you just don't get during bowl season.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
March Madness to me by far because each game means something. In theory each win keeps your championship hopes alive. In football unless you are one of the 4 teams you have no chance at a championship. Maybe it's just me but if I want to Minnesota, a school without a real chance to win a title in either sport, I would take more pride in my team getting to the Sweet Sixteen than I would with a win in the Holiday Bowl. In addition you have the possibility huge upsets, George Mason making the Final Four was something you just don't get during bowl season.
How weird is it that I happened to use Minnesota football as my random example given the most recent news?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 PM

465 posts, read 303,729 times
March Madness by a million miles

College football has gotten better with the playoff but your season could be done in Week 1. As a fan, who cares about playing in some random bowl game that's not part of the college playoff. Sure it's nice to have on TV in the fall and New Years but it's more about NFL prospects getting to showcase their skills for the draft and the school's program to make some cash.

I grew up in RI and I first started following college basketball when UCLA won in the 90s. Around that time, never did I think any of the RI schools would ever be huge on the national stage. It was only two years later, PC almost beat Arizona to go to the Final Four & URI came close to Stanford in the same scenario. Those bittersweet moments have stuck with me since. I'll never see a RI school come close to a bowl game, and probably never play in D1 for that matter.

The beauty is that there's 351 D1 schools and with the exception of the Ivy League, every school has a chance when they get to their conference tournament. However despite each school having a chance, the odds are still much in favor for the best teams out there.

Not to mention, the games are more exciting. It's the only chance you'll see 6'2 seniors from Middle Tennessee hitting clutch jumpers to beat storied teams like Michigan State who have NBA prospects annually.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,465,729 times
The Ivy is actually going to a conference tournament this year.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I didn't vote cause I think they each serve a special spot as for excitement. It is like asking which is more exciting, the World series or the super bowl?

I love the football bowl games cause each one holds some thrill for some people and when one game is over it is time for 2 news teams to excite up plus the cold winter days and nights, a nice glass of wine or a beer by the fireplace and watching football: what could be better but then the excitement leading up to the final four and then that magic time when we are down to just 2 teams; How exciting is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports