Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, the Fresno St. Bulldogs were like the lowest seed to win an NCAA Championship in ANY NCAA sport. Plus they faced elemination several times so yeah, it would be pretty impressive.
They were ranked #89 in the country going into the tourney...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 PM

243 posts, read 86,978 times
[quote=JJG;4283191]..... Call it a season premiere.... Toss Up !'s back. I cant start this on Thursday because I'll be out of town.... hopefully. So the 13th edition of Toss Up ! will be Thurs. July, 10th. BTW, HAPPY July 4th!

This week's (and I guess most of next week's) topic: 5 different questions for 5 sports.

(Football) Leauge of Ladies
Do you think there will ever be a WNFL? If so, when? No.

(Basketball) I got 99 problems and a Ref is one......
What do you think would be the NBA's biggest problem ?: Loss of raitings or refs betting/fixing games ? I dont care that much about basketball.

(Baseball) Cinderella Dogs, Winning Twins, and Devil-less Rays
If the season were to end today, what would be the biggest story ? : The Tampa Bay Rays at the top of the A.L. East, the Minnesota Twins' win streak, or the Fresno St. Bulldogs comeback wins for the CWS?The Rays on top of the AL East.

(Hockey) White Ice
(nothing personal and no offense intended, just a question)
There's not that many minorites in the NHL, so which one do you think plays a bigger part in this? Does the NHL have a lack of reaching out to other minorities, or do minorites not have that much intrest..... it seems.Minorities dont care about hockey.

(Soccer) 5th Quarter.... or extra minutes....
Do you think Major Leauge Soccer.... or just soccer in general, will pass the NFL in popularty in 30 years ? Be Honest......Worldwide, soccer is the most popuar sport. In the US, no it will not. The MLS get superstars that are in the decline phase in their career.[/quote]

Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
..... Call it a season premiere.... Toss Up !'s back. I cant start this on Thursday because I'll be out of town.... hopefully. So the 13th edition of Toss Up ! will be Thurs. July, 10th. BTW, HAPPY July 4th!

This week's (and I guess most of next week's) topic: 5 different questions for 5 sports.

(Football) Leauge of Ladies
Do you think there will ever be a WNFL? If so, when? No way...never.

(Basketball) I got 99 problems and a Ref is one......
What do you think would be the NBA's biggest problem ?: Loss of raitings or refs betting/fixing games ? The NBA's biggest problem is image....too many tats and dread locks for the "corporate" fans they are trying to appeal to.

(Baseball) Cinderella Dogs, Winning Twins, and Devil-less Rays
If the season were to end today, what would be the biggest story ? : The Tampa Bay Rays at the top of the A.L. East, the Minnesota Twins' win streak, or the Fresno St. Bulldogs comeback wins for the CWS? Hands down...the Rays. They finish last every years (but one) since their inaugural season....they have a payroll that is more than $100million less than the sox and yanks...and they continue to pound those teams. Wow.

(Soccer) 5th Quarter.... or extra minutes....
Do you think Major Leauge Soccer.... or just soccer in general, will pass the NFL in popularty in 30 years ? Be Honest......
At some point, people are going to tire of the all of the arrests and general thuggery around the NFL. Since 2000, there have been 404 arrests! Name another profession that can say that. I'm not sure if Soccer will replace it...but something will...and soccer has a shot. It's already replaced it for me personally...and I didn't like soccer growing up and have never even played it. It's just a very entertaining sport to watch.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
How many nationalities are represented in the NHL? How many in the NFL? Which has more "minorities?"
Good question.....

I do mean race-wise, of course. As for different nationalities, yeah the NHL has more, but as for players who look like me.... there are alot more in the NFL than in the NHL.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
At some point, people are going to tire of the all of the arrests and general thuggery around the NFL. Since 2000, there have been 404 arrests! Name another profession that can say that. I'm not sure if Soccer will replace it...but something will...and soccer has a shot. It's already replaced it for me personally...and I didn't like soccer growing up and have never even played it. It's just a very entertaining sport to watch.

I'm not sure all the arrests will kill the NFL's popularity. I mean, if it did, it would have already lost more than several fans already. You gotta remember, most sports fans don't look at or even care about players' personal lives (unless they think it effects how they play, i.e. Tony Romo). It's going to take alot more than "thugs" to kill a leauge that's been around for more than 8 decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports