Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 AM

300 posts, read 349,267 times

Advertisements

before visiting springfield, I was aware that the city is implementing ordinances so peddlers can't ask for money at big intersections or streets, based on what KSPR reported. i couldn't possibly think that it would be that serious considering springfield isn't as big as STL or KC. Well oddly enough, I ran into a more than a few instances of peddling in just one day and it isn't just in the area where you get the campus/expo centers it seems widespread in the city as far from downtown as James River Freeway. As someone who lived in Asheville with almost the same population, I never ran into the amount of peddling like I ran into in Springfield. Is there other reasons other than just the lack of economic diversity like the huge chunk of the college population living there? when even touring Missouri State University, I would run into students from different states including a bunch load from Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas. Could some of that make a negative impact to the job outlook in Springfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
Springfield tries to hide the growing Homeless in the area.

brushrunner

Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
I don't think it is a reflection of the job market. I think it is a reflection of the minimal support services available to the severely mentally ill and/or addicted. I suspect the majority of these folks couldn't hold a job even if one were offered to them.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:15 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,400 times
Lack of or diversity does not cause homelessness. That was just a silly statement.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,842 times
Well I agree lack of diversity does not cause homelessness. However the quality of the job market in the Springfield area is seriously lacking. The Springfield area has very low paying jobs and the housing market is going higher all the time. Also many homeless are felons and are then not able to get a job because of their history which makes it hard for them to get housing which then leads to homelessness and more crime. We do have services in the area for the homeless if they want the help. Not everyone hates living that way. I would imagine some of them can make a decent living by panhandling.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,983,847 times
A panhandler/homeless man was shot by Springfield police apparently:

Family: Panhandler shot by police had mental disability

Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
A panhandler/homeless man was shot by Springfield police apparently:

Family: Panhandler shot by police had mental disability
I have a Son down there that is Homeless and has mental disability. I'm always afraid he is going to be killed. Police pick him up all the time, I'm happy at least I know he is warm and fed.

People say well if your so worried about him let him stay with you. I did but found Meth was much stronger, I had him locked up his Brother got him out.

brushrunner

Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 PM

300 posts, read 349,267 times
Sorry I wasn't clear when I said economic diversity. I meant the variance of different jobs and how people move to Springfield without a job set aside.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:10 AM

28 posts, read 54,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Springfield tries to hide the growing Homeless in the area.

brushrunner
Including the fact that an increasing number of them are from out of town. There was a quiet crapstorm last summer over Las Vegas putting a lot of it's homeless on buses with one-way tickets to Springfield.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:12 AM

28 posts, read 54,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
We do have services in the area for the homeless if they want the help..
Which are overworked and underfunded and constantly under attack by the Chamber of Commerce and it's cronies on City Council. And it's been this way for many years. Ask Larry Rice about all the crap HE's had to deal with because the PTB don't want those "dirty homeless" making the City look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area