Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 PM

19 posts, read 63,717 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are contemplating a move to Missouri. We are looking at the Osage Beach area. We live in Illinois. I need the help of someone that has done this. I am a retired illinois teacher. I am getting overwhelmed by the changes that would take place. Has anyone been there and done this? I am thinking taxes, drivers licenses, insurance, buying a home, part-time jobs, unforseen expenses, etc. Thanks, Daspecht
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Osage Beach can get very crowded in the summer. If you plan to live at the lake year round you might want to look a bit further from the main tourist drags.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker50 View Post
Hello, my wife and I are contemplating a move to Missouri. We are looking at the Osage Beach area. We live in Illinois. I need the help of someone that has done this. I am a retired illinois teacher. I am getting overwhelmed by the changes that would take place. Has anyone been there and done this? I am thinking taxes, drivers licenses, insurance, buying a home, part-time jobs, unforseen expenses, etc. Thanks, Daspecht
Did it all 18 months ago except for us, it was a 2,000 mile move from the left coast, not a few hundred from an adjoining state. The only difference is, no job seeking. Didn't/don't need to.

Piece of cake! Don't know what your angst is. Think of it as moving next door.

Figuring out the Department of Revenue (personal income tax, DMV, et al) can be an adventure but the rest comes easy and people here in the Show Me State are helpful and friendly.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
people here in the Show Me State are helpful and friendly.
Until the transplant gets frustrated with some of our idiosyncrasies, oddball laws or rules, weather, habits, foods, etc., and starts talking down to us or tells how they done it better back home in Califoreignya or some such place.

Then we get a little cranky.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,384,472 times
Red face Been there, done this...yes.

Quote:
Yes, been there done it.
The first step is research. Not just online... You'll want to spend some long weekends and/or weeks in the areas you're considering and brush up against some of the natives. See if you can find someone kind who has moved there who can give you a realistic view of things.
Once you decide where you're going, there are different ways to make a long distance move...you have to determine what is your comfort level.

OPTION #1: You can sell your house, pack up everything and move it to a storage building (in the new town) while you rent something by the week. Interview several real estate buyer's agents until you find the one that fits you...then let them get to know you. They know the area, you don't. You want someone you can trust, buying a house is not a decision to take lightly!
In a perfect world, you can find a vacant home, close in two weeks because you have cash, and be merrily grilling in the back yard shortly thereafter!

OPTION #2: Plan to buy a home before you pack & move all your worldly possessions, so you can skip the storage/rent weekly step. That's a little trickier, timing-wise, depends a lot on whether your house sells and how long the escrow, and financing, and stuff like that.

The details are time consuming but just that...licenses, insurance, finding a new dentist...that's what neighbors and realtors are for!

Moving can be a wonderful thing, and if it's not wonderful you can always go back.
Voice of experience.

~Lake Junkie

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM

19 posts, read 63,717 times
Wow, I am impressed with the speed and number of advice givers. Thanks for the confidence. I am beginning to notice some differences between the areas surrounding the lake. We have visited the area many times and feel as though we know the layout. We selected Osage Beach because of it closeness to shopping, doctors, restaurants, etc., a real estate agent showed us a house on Coleman Ave and we kind of got stuck on Osage Beach. We have looked at Gravois Mills, Sunset Beach, Camdenton, and Eldon. We did not visit the southern areas. I am certain that I have overlooked many things, so what are the pros and cons of each area? Which area has it all? Are there any retired Illinois teachers in here? Thanks Daspecht

Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
I lived in SW Missouri for many years, and had friends that owned a resort in Osage Beach, spent lots of time there and Sunrise Beach also. I always found it to be very charming and fun, and having also lived all my life in resort areas of one sort or the other (Ozarks lakes, Las Vegas, Hawaii) the issue of crowds during high season to me was no big deal. I was thankful for those tourist dollars keeping the community going, always meeting people from all over the world. You learn the times when it's best to go to the store or whatever. so I personally would not worry too much over those things. Moving there is just like moving anywhere else; do your homework, don't get in a hurry, take the time to find good people to help you (and there are plenty of those people in Missouri!) There are odd laws, weird ordinances and other idiosyncrasies everywhere too. Just takes getting acquainted with the local environment. Try living in a place that's only been a state for about 50 years if you want exposure to odd laws and such! Househunting-----avoid steeeeeeep driveways and too many stairs!

Best wishes on your retirement.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,384,472 times
Cool Rainy days in C-D land...

Quote:
Wow, I am impressed with the speed and number of advice givers. Thanks for the confidence. I am beginning to notice some differences between the areas surrounding the lake. We have visited the area many times and feel as though we know the layout. We selected Osage Beach because of it closeness to shopping, doctors, restaurants, etc., a real estate agent showed us a house on Coleman Ave and we kind of got stuck on Osage Beach. We have looked at Gravois Mills, Sunset Beach, Camdenton, and Eldon. We did not visit the southern areas. I am certain that I have overlooked many things, so what are the pros and cons of each area? Which area has it all? Are there any retired Illinois teachers in here? Thanks Daspecht
Rainy mornings all the C-D'ers are out 'n about, eh?
I don't know LOTO very well at all, I have a friend who lives lakefront in Camdenton and I've attended conferences at Lake Ozark. I do know that most realtors will be prejudiced to "their" area (guilty!) but should be able to give you an overview of the "pros" and "cons" of each one. (And then of course there's a truth: one man's "pro" is another man's "con"...)

I can say that in any of these lake areas, because of the windy roads & distances to things, you'll want to figure out how well you will deal with relative isolation. Generally speaking, the further you are from amenities, the higher the percentage of "second" homes, so you'd have fewer full time neighbors. If that matters to you... I like being 10 minutes to groceries, Lowe's, good pizza. Other folks are fine being 25...35...45...

Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,902 times
You might want to venture a little further south and check out the Branson area. It is less developed than Osage Beach/Lake of the Ozarks but has the natural beauty of the Ozark Mountains, huge lakes, fishing, 100's of live shows (known as the entertainment capital), golfing, etc. It's also a big tourist/resort area. We just moved to Branson last year from the east coast and many people have been/are moving here from the midwest, west coast and east coast.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I can say that in any of these lake areas, because of the windy roads & distances to things, you'll want to figure out how well you will deal with relative isolation. Generally speaking, the further you are from amenities, the higher the percentage of "second" homes, so you'd have fewer full time neighbors. If that matters to you... I like being 10 minutes to groceries, Lowe's, good pizza. Other folks are fine being 25...35...45...
DANG! That far away! Imagine that!

Keeps the tourists away and leaves us with peace, quiet, solitude when we want it, a lovely, albeit small, community yet close enough to business when our needs dictate. Most of all, it gives us the true and daily beauty of the Aux Arcs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area