Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,855 times

Advertisements

Was in Springfield yesterday.Our Son asked us to bring him something he was just South of Commercial.Now I lived in this area 40 years ago.I was never worried but yesterday the area made me very uncomfortable.

Ok has the area got that much worse or is it I'm just getting older?

hillman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Was in Springfield yesterday.Our Son asked us to bring him something he was just South of Commercial.Now I lived in this area 40 years ago.I was never worried but yesterday the area made me very uncomfortable.

Ok has the area got that much worse or is it I'm just getting older?

hillman
Maybe a little of both. Times they are a changin'! Today I wouldn't move back to where I lived 40 years ago.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Maybe it depends on what you are used to. When we visit Springfield from New Orleans, that area doesn't seem bad at all. On the other hand, we much prefer south Springfield and will probably end up living there.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I'm told certain parts of Commercial are where many homeless people hang out, at least partially due to the proximity of homeless shelters, food pantries, etc. The police regularly try to keep them moving, but realistically, there is only so much they can do. I believe Springfield is trying to change the zoning ordinances pertaining to that area to try to alleviate the situation, but the reality is, if they do, the homeless will just relocate elsewhere in the city. (I have a grad-level community planning student in one of my classes and she has been talking about the situation on Commercial all semester, that is the only reason why I know about this, and I have seen articles in the News-Leader about the rezoning).

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM

We was South of Comercial.Like I say I lived there 40 years ago,had a 3 Room Apartment,funished $40 a month.I walked to work at MFA by the Square.

Not saying this was a good part of Town but now days it just gave me a nervous feeling that I would get in parts of the Larger cities.

hillman

Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
We was South of Comercial.Like I say I lived there 40 years ago,had a 3 Room Apartment,funished $40 a month.I walked to work at MFA by the Square.

Not saying this was a good part of Town but now days it just gave me a nervous feeling that I would get in parts of the Larger cities.

hillman
Between Commercial and Division, then? I don't think we ever drove down, say E. Locust or E. Pacific.

We'll have to take another look at that area the next time we are in town. Thanks - - it's always good to learn things like this, whether bad or good, before we move.

Speaking of which, our move looks like it will be delayed to late 2010. I finally retired (yay!) but my dear friend and companion, Frank, is still working and won't be able to retire for a while.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Default Now vs then...

Well, I would actually say it's gotten a little better than it was 5-8 years ago.
To me, there were more problems in that area with the homeless and that area is where some/most of the shelters and such are located. However, since they are starting to redevelop Commerical St. area it's a little better. I probably wouldn't go in the area alone nor would I go at night....and I certainly wouldn't even consider it for an area to live in.....maybe in a few years but not now. Still a pretty rough area.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM

158 posts, read 376,396 times
After having previously lived in Dallas and Los Angeles, and working in several major cities including San Francisco, Chicago, New York City, London, and Hong Kong, I don't find any part of Springfield to be intimidating.

I wouldn't say that I'm best friends with all homeless people but I worked at Good Will a few years ago as a job search coach, many of my clients were homeless and I can honestly say that for the most part they are a lot like the rest of us, only for them living one payckeck away from poverty was a way of life. Then one day bang, something devastating happens. If you don't have a strong safety net things can go downhill quickly and our society is not nearly as helpful and forgiving as we have been brainwashed to believe.

If any of you think our society is an easy place to "move up" I would challenge you to try walking into a strange town with no money, no friends and little or no education, and see how long it takes you to start living the American Dream. Add in years of emotional baggage, maybe a mental illness, or perhaps a physical disability ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2w5AVt_5s

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Interesting as a child my mom was married to a Guy that was involved with several armed robberies,had Chop Shop and was Dealing Drugs.He was caught and was bailed out we was running from the Law,went to Kansas City where he was caught.Mom divorced him.He died in prison.

When I was first married lived in a part of South Golden that the Law wouldn't go into without backup.

Did some traveling while in the Service.Plus drove Truck over the road spent time in every major city in the U.S.

I drove Trash Truck and worked Security all over Springfield.

I would say with this Background I would be justified in paying attention if I had a gut feeling about an area.

hillman

Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting as a child my mom was married to a Guy that was involved with several armed robberies,had Chop Shop and was Dealing Drugs.He was caught and was bailed out we was running from the Law,went to Kansas City where he was caught.Mom divorced him.He died in prison.

When I was first married lived in a part of South Golden that the Law wouldn't go into without backup.

Did some traveling while in the Service.Plus drove Truck over the road spent time in every major city in the U.S.

I drove Trash Truck and worked Security all over Springfield.

I would say with this Background I would be justified in paying attention if I had a gut feeling about an area.

hillman
I didn't mean to discount the validity of your assessment of the area, or to imply that you would not be justified in paying attention if you had a gut feeling about an area. So please accept my apologies if it seemed like that was what I meant.

Gut feelings are important, and you have been around the seamier side of Springfield enough to know what's what.

Even Mrs. Chilicook, who I believe is a relative newcomer to the area, mentioned that even now she wouldn't go there either alone, OR at night, and so it seems to me that already she has the same gut feelings about that area as you do.

And please accept my thanks for alerting those of us who are not very familiar with the area. It is good to know where to be careful. If you have any additional observations or information they will be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area