Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM

23 posts, read 86,806 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to St G and need to do some work on the house before we move in. I hope this doesn't violate any of the forum rules. Can anyone that lives in the surrounding area recommend the following type of services they may have used and know are good. I checked Angie's list, but it is pretty sparse for the area.

1. Need a concrete block wall built.

2. Kitchen & bath granite installed, retile the bathroom showers.

3. General handyman type work, several small items need repair.

4. Removal of palm trees.

Thanks for your help,

Gail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM

49 posts, read 71,767 times
Gail,

You could get many suggestions on this site and I'm very surprised you got none at all.

My suggestion, contact a realtor. They have excellent contacts and most have a good handyman on speed dial. If you want a realtor to call, I recommend Wanda at Prado and Kramer

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM

122 posts, read 260,815 times
Angie's list isn't a good resource for here. My husband owns a business and I searched for it on Angie's list and they had no like business listed when there are at least 10 in town.

My husband owns a repair business and it is still very word of mouth and yellow pages here. I would wait on the palm tree removal till you get here. Landscaping services are everywhere and lots of people are looking for work. Recently we needed some landscaping (well digging a trench and a few things moved) done and people were fighting over work. It ended up costing us $60 for what would have taken my husband hours to do in the sun.

I do know several handyman and contractors that might work but I'm not sure if it is okay to post names? Most construction type businesses are small or owner/operator so I'm not sure about posting people's names?

Tiles and block walls should be easy and inexpensive since you have to remember the construction industry was at like 40-50% unemployment rate(not counted in the actual unemployment since most were small business owners) after the bust and plenty of people come from Vegas and Colorado City(This is a personal choice if you want to hire polygamist, they built many beautiful homes in my neighbor and have fair prices and quality work but I understand I moved here from out of state it is a personal decision) looking for work here.

Is there a reason you are trying to line up contractors before you move here? In each field you mention there should be no reason to find quality workers within a few days. I bought a foreclosure with a 10 day close. I hate paint smell and wanted everything painted before I moved in. In less then 3 days I had 6 bids(with references checked) and my whole house painted(it was $900 for 3100 sq ft 3 tone paint including supplies)

Last edited by silverspoons; 06-05-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM

148 posts, read 459,542 times
I've been paying a lot more than that to get things done. How do you find these people?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
In less then 3 days I had 6 bids(with references checked) and my whole house painted(it was $900 for 3100 sq ft 3 tone paint including supplies)
Wow, it probably cost $800 in material. Are you sure about that? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George