Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times

Advertisements

Red-hot O'Fallon, Mo., keeps growing and growing. Here's why. | Business | stltoday.com

...growth in the burbs is often discussed. Many opinions pro and con. Just passing it along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:03 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,531,768 times
The areas of O’Fallon along and north of 70 are not aging well at all.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 PM

7,100 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
The areas of O’Fallon along and north of 70 are not aging well at all.
They were not built to age well.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,571,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Red-hot O'Fallon, Mo., keeps growing and growing. Here's why. | Business | stltoday.com

...growth in the burbs is often discussed. Many opinions pro and con. Just passing it along.
This bit of lazy writing annoyed me:

Quote:
“We are thinning out as a region,” he warns — and that’s not a sustainable form of development.

Still, O’Fallon’s approach to attracting jobs and new residents seems to be working.
"The doctor says I shouldn't feed my kid nothing but cookies all day. Still, he's happy so it seems to be working."

Also,

Quote:
Prestemon described the city’s efforts to lure MasterCard’s global technology headquarters from Maryland Heights to the WingHaven area — a move bolstered by at least $40 million in subsidies — as bold
[...]
Only Citi has a larger workforce, with 3,800. Like MasterCard, it left St. Louis County, choosing to consolidate its Ellisville and Town and Country offices into a headquarters in O’Fallon that opened in 2003 with the help of $22 million in state and local incentives.
Oh, you know, just $62m in state and local subsidies to move jobs from one part of the region to another while increasing our future infrastructure bills, no big deal. What's sustainability?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:49 PM

197 posts, read 261,508 times
Portland, OR has urban growth boundaries. Should we, as we allow parts of North St. Louis County to empty out and many parts of the city?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,154,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
Portland, OR has urban growth boundaries. Should we, as we allow parts of North St. Louis County to empty out and many parts of the city?
It would be nice, but Portland has Metro. St. Louis County, meanwhile, is absurdly fragmented, and this doesn't even take into account the city/county divide, the other counties like St. Charles (which O'Fallon is apart of), or the 1/4 of the metropolitan area that's spread across multiple Illinois counties.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:44 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,519,185 times
My brother moved his family to O’Fallon. So I had to learn driving in a mostly-unfamiliar area to visit him. Taking the Page Extension, I saw names of highway exits which I had never even heard of.
It’s easy to get lost in the WestPlex. Even with GPS, Mapquest and Google Maps, I’ve managed to get turned around in circles more than once. Okay, at least a dozen times.
I get it, O’Fallon has good schools, affordable housing— a good place to raise a family. But, much like other exurbs, I feel O’Fallon lacks a soul. It consists of a seemingly endless number of maze-like subdivisions with nearly identical 2-story frame houses, along with strip mall after strip mall. Being a fan of fine architecture and a city’s intriguing history, well, I don’t find much character in that vicinity. But that’s me. Apparently, plenty of folks continue to take a strong liking to O’Fallon, because it just keeps growing and growing. You might be surprised to know that O’Fallon is now the seventh largest city in Missouri. It has twice the population of Chesterfield! The 2020 census put the city’s population at 91,316. Which means, based on recent growth, it’s probably closer to 94,000 at present.
Being a resident of St. Louis City, I can’t help but fantasize how great it would be if those 94,000 O’Fallonites lived here instead. Why, they’d be enjoying the beautiful architecture, fascinating history, and character of our neighborhoods first hand! And I wouldn’t be having to navigate an impossible maze of subdivisions to see my relatives. Sigh, if only.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:32 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
The Wentzville area and the nearby Troy area have really grown as well. I think the reaction of blue county and city leaders to the pandemic have only added fuel to the fire. Plus crime and schools, etc.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:36 AM

685 posts, read 754,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The Wentzville area and the nearby Troy area have really grown as well. I think the reaction of blue county and city leaders to the pandemic have only added fuel to the fire. Plus crime and schools, etc.
Housing cost is a major factor. You can still get a new home in a quiet area for $200k in the outer counties. Those days are over in St. Louis and St. Charles Counties.

It's probably a good deal for those who can work there. Employment is much more decentralized nowadays anyway. People have a lot more housing choices than they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis