Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,466,427 times

Advertisements

Thanks GregW and sunsprit.
On one issue I disagree: I do want and need a detection and diagnostic system on board. Its essential. The industry did not "find it fit to pursue" because politics and financial interests. But since so many cars have problems that are hard to diagnose (and average cars shops have no real expertise), it is an essential tool for the car owner. Otherwise, you can step into a shop that misdiagnosed the cause and the problem.
As you correctly observed, "check engine" is an improper name for the function it fulfills. Some automakers added even more codes to this single warning, causing additional misunderstanding. In our age of everything computerized, keeping a warning system that belongs to the 70s, is simply wrong. Car racing and the aircraft industry solved these decades ago.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-05-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:51 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,053,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I recently bought a 2000 Subaru Outback Limited with 117k miles on it. Bought it from the original owner with all records. Headgasket was done 22k miles ago (3 years ago) but I am worried that it is going out again... I took it in because there was exhaust coming in through the cabin (would smell when first started up car and when stopped; also smelled like something was burning when I got out of the car). Took it to the shop and was told that it has an oil leak and that the exhaust gasket was leaking. Got new valve cover gasket, spark plug seal, valve cover seal washer, exhaust gasket and oil to fill to capacity per manufacturer eo. Now the check engine light is on, about 50 miles later (scan says needs new sensor; it has a brand new catalytic convertor)... Also, when I took it into Firestone for an a/c refresh a few days prior, they recommended new radiator hoses, coolant system services/flush with sealer and spark plug with fuel system cleaning.. After doing some research online, I feel like the headgasket might need to be done again; what do you think?
First... Unless the head gasket replacement wasn't done properly, you shouldn't be looking at another one. The most obvious tell-tale sign would be that you're losing coolant, and the car is overheating.

Second... The repair done by the shop sounds appropriate.

Third... You need to know exactly what trouble codes you're dealing with. Also know that many OBD2 codes head you in the right direction, but don't actually say, "Your upstream O2 Sensor needs to be replaced." There's a certain "art" involved.

Fourth... Do not EVER take your vehicle to Firestone, unless you have NO choice.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
Apparently the scan indicated that it is due to oxygen sensor..
Looks like the oxygen sensors were done at 97k miles at the same time as the headgasket (3 years ago, 22k miles ago). Catalytic Convertor was done 1000 miles ago.
It would be great if it really only needs oxygen sensor(s).
I'd be curious to know the exact code, because sometimes (a P0171 for instance) a code indicates that the O2 Sensor(s) could be one of the problems.

Also, do you know which O2 Sensor was replaced? Were both done? Also, if cheaper after-market sensors were used, they can cause all manner of problems, including early failure.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Thanks GregW and sunsprit.
On one issue I disagree: I do want and need a detection and diagnostic system on board. Its essential. The industry did not "find it fit to pursue" because politics and financial interests. But since so many cars have problems that are hard to diagnose (and average cars shops have no real expertise), it is an essential tool for the car owner. Otherwise, you can step into a shop that misdiagnosed the cause and the problem.
As you correctly observed, "check engine" is an improper name for the function it fulfills. Some automakers added even more codes to this single warning, causing additional misunderstanding. In our age of everything computerized, keeping a warning system that belongs to the 70s, is simply wrong. Car racing and the aircraft industry solved these decades ago.
The typical car owner is absolutely nowhere near as knowledgeable as you, nor do they care to be. They'll either just drive the car until it dies (regardless of warning lights), or they'll take it to the dealer for any and all issues.

But you are right. Vehicle manufacturers could do a better job of making their vehicles' issues more easily diagnosed. But they have no real incentive to do so.

For what it's worth, you might want to look into some smartphone apps. The ELM 327 and Torque Pro are some surprisingly good - and cheap - diagnostic tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru