Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 10,683 times

Advertisements

Hello CD!

Rather than ask my Mom (a PA who is tired me asking such questions) I decided to see what a larger pool has to say. I am 23, vegetarian (eat lots of veggies and try to get protein in every meal), take 3000mg Omega-3 every day and know I can be taking many other precautions to be at maximum health. I am going to start trying to exercise more. What kind of supplements do you suggest that I take? A Women's Multi-Vitamin? What kind? I am really in the dark on this.

Also, what kind of creams should I be applying? I hear SPF 30 on my face every day...other than that, any suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkblossom View Post
Hello CD!

Rather than ask my Mom (a PA who is tired me asking such questions) I decided to see what a larger pool has to say. I am 23, vegetarian (eat lots of veggies and try to get protein in every meal), take 3000mg Omega-3 every day and know I can be taking many other precautions to be at maximum health. I am going to start trying to exercise more. What kind of supplements do you suggest that I take? A Women's Multi-Vitamin? What kind? I am really in the dark on this.

Also, what kind of creams should I be applying? I hear SPF 30 on my face every day...other than that, any suggestions?

Thank you!
Hmm, wish my dd would take that much interest in her health. The best thing you can do is what you're doing--keep your weight down b/c it's so much easier to maintain than to gain and then have to lose it and your skin will never be the same and it will be much harder to keep it off once you've gained. Stay away from sugary treats except on special occasions. Exercise is good, no great. You probably don't need too many vitamins at this point but many people are deficient in D and I like to take B vitamins every day b/c they make me feel good and think more clearly. (but I have ADD) The fish oil does that too.

The only thing I would advise you to change is the sunscreen--wear a hat instead b/c sunscreen is not that great for you and whenever I use it I break out in great big zits, even at my age. A little sun exposure every day wouldn't hurt you anyway b/c vitamin D is one of the vitamins that almost everyone is low in but if you take D3 supplements you'll want to be getting tested to make sure you don't go too high. With a little sun every day you won't have to worry about that.

I just realized that I wrote this post as if I were going back to age 23 and had it to do all over again. Yeah, would have changed a few things.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
sunscreen
daily exercise
safe sex
good multiple vitamin
Don't worry...Be Happy!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Hello CD!

Thank you!

Sunshine and eat as much raw food as possible. Please see raw food as living food and cooked food as dead food. No! I am not suggesting you stop eating cooked food. I eat it daily. I just keep reminding myself that raw food has a life force in it. That's what I tell myself and yet I cannot prove it, yet.

Kirlian photography can show the aura around a leaf that's been yanked from a tree. Amazing! Now, what I have not had the opportunity to do is to find out if kirlian photography shows an aura around our fruits and veggies, but, a leaf?! amazing....

So, wisdom is to eat raw food and especially if and when we can get fruits or veggies right off of the tree or out of the ground, etc. and eat it very soon if not immediately.

Exercise....get that heart going however works for you. I own an eliptical and currently live in a split-level home, and am outside often.

Practice stillness and silence. Modern life rushes, it stresses us and our minds stress us, thinking incessantly as if they have a life of their own. Some type of meditation? prayer? I use a mental exercise found or used for free at www.copingstrategies.com.

Gotta care for the body and the mind. You are young and asking the right questions, pondering what habits you can form now, when so young.

Oh, supplements! never a hard one that doesn't break up within an hour? in a glass of water. Shop for a vitamin mineral supplement that's in a green veggie base. I take KAL brand Energy vitamin supplement. The full dose is three a day so I take two. I doubt we all need "that much" every day is my reason.

I drink small amounts of Pom/cherry juice before bedtime and I mean just an ounce? or two....very little...with milk. I add tiny amounts of Pom/Blueberry juice to water and some apple cider vinegar for a health drink.

That's all I have, for now. Way to go....wishing you many years of the best of health and inner-peace.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
None. Skip all vitamins and supplements unless directed by a doctor. Vitamin and supplement manufacturers aren't regulated by the FDA, who knows what you're really getting most of the time. When it comes to vitamins and minerals more isn't always better, in fact it can be toxic. Humans evolved.to get their vitamins from food not from a pill.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Hello CD!

Thank you!
I'd dump the supplements as a good diet should give your body everything it needs.Long term health? do everything it takes to not get fat,and of course a daily exercise regime will keep everything strong and flexible.Of course no smoking and extreme moderation on any alcohol.
Sun screen is good,avoiding the sun is better eg; if you are sitting on the beach sit in the shade if possible.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
You do NOT need vitamins or supplements! All you're doing is spending money and producing expensive urine! Eat a balanced diet...that's all you need to do, as far as your diet goes.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
As a vegetarian, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein and B12 (depending on how restricted your vegetarian choices are). Also, many people are low in vitamin D. But as long as you're fulfilling your nutritional needs through diet, you don't need to supplement at all. If you know that you have poor eating habits, then a single multi-vitamin (like, Centrum, or One-a-Day, for example, doesn't have to be anything fancy) will suffice to "top off" whatever you're eating.

As for facial creams, at age 23 I'm not sure why you're even thinking about the "maximum health" aspect of your face yet. Again it depends on your habits. Do you smoke? Are you malnourished? Do you drink a lot of alcohol? Do you not get enough exercise? Do you tan, or otherwise get a lot of sun exposure on a regular basis? If not, then just wear a light moisturizer with no sunscreen at all for daily use. Use an SPF of 15 if you're gonna be out in direct sunlight longer than 15 minutes, or indirect sunlight more than 1/2 hour. If you're needing to be in direct sun longer than an hour, get a water-resistant sunblock, not merely a sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements