Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times

Advertisements

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/fda...nt-regulation/

This is good for the industry and all of us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

It's needed. I really do not like the thought of spending my money for "X" ingredient and not getting it, or worse, getting something unhealthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2019, 12:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
Well, it's good to see the FDA clamping down on those nasty supplements so many of us take with no side effects, and if only they could do the same for the pharma drugs. There's is one I've thought of for some time, but reading the laundry list of possible s/e, nope. ummm

Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Yep. While it doesn’t protect consumers from fraudulent health claims, it will protect them from potentially dangerous substances as defined below. It’s a good first step.

From the article:

“Potentially dangerous” means one of three things: (1) the supplement contains unlawful ingredients, including drugs like sildenafil or tadalafil; (2) the supplement is not manufactured in compliance with current good manufacturing practice regulations; or (3) the supplement has obviously inherently dangerous ingredients, like kratom or highly concentrated caffeine.”

Old 02-19-2019, 01:07 PM

"Potentially dangerous" such fear tactics!!! Those dangerous antioxidants I take, keep me healthy. FDA would be in pig heaven if they could control all our supplements, but they can't. Can't patent the foods that go into so many of our supplements.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,716 times
I don't see the benefit here....as the writer states at the end of the article it is just "putting lipstick on a pig"

There is no real benefit to consumers here, just a PR move by the FDA to make it look like they are doing something...

Supplement manufacturers will continue to be able to make outrageous claims with no evidence to support them...

There is no change in regulation or enforcement powers of the FDA so most manufacturers can still get away with putting whatever they want into a bottle without proving that it corresponds to what the label states is in the bottle....

Another nod to the multibillion dollar supplement industry which is allowed to do whatever it pleases without affecting the bottom line....

All you need to know about this "Modernization" of dietary supplement regulation is right in the title of the article.....it will be "industry friendly"....

I can only imagine the firestorm of criticism from the "Alternative Crowd" if legislation to promote safety of pharmaceuticals was proposed to be " Industry Friendly"

Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
"Potentially dangerous" such fear tactics!!! Those dangerous antioxidants I take, keep me healthy. FDA would be in pig heaven if they could control all our supplements, but they can't. Can't patent the foods that go into so many of our supplements.
Again:

30% of all supplements tested did not even CONTAIN what the active ingredient. 30% of what's on your shelf Jam, is not what you intended to buy.

Why is that okay with you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Again:

30% of all supplements tested did not even CONTAIN what the active ingredient. 30% of what's on your shelf Jam, is not what you intended to buy.

Why is that okay with you?
I buy from reputable companies, mostly in the U.S. and trust their quality. I'm fine with my choices of over 25 yrs. I don't have issues. I know I've mentioned my issues many times. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:40 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I buy from reputable companies, mostly in the U.S. and trust their quality. I'm fine with my choices of over 25 yrs. I don't have issues. I know I've mentioned my issues many times. Thanks.
On "what" do you base that trust???

There is literally NO WAY for you to know that the supplements you are buying contain what the bottle says it contains or that it doesn't contain other potentially dangerous additives that aren't listed...

There is literally NO oversight to protect the public....

Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
On "what" do you base that trust???

There is literally NO WAY for you to know that the supplements you are buying contain what the bottle says it contains or that it doesn't contain other potentially dangerous additives that aren't listed...

There is literally NO oversight to protect the public....
Why do you anti supplement people get in and want to argue and debate what you care nothing about. I guess it's due to all the people dying off from their supplements, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements