Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 AM

10 posts, read 4,954 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of natural solutions to PTSD. I spent years on antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos - pretty much every tool in the psychiatrist's sample bin, I tried it. All they did was make me gain weight, sleep, drink heavily, deteriorate physically, and avoid dealing with my issues. Not to say that psych meds aren't good! They just aren't good for me!

I've spent the last 2 years experimenting with herbs and supplements and thought I'd document the ones I've tried and what I found to work and what not to work. Maybe someone out there is where I once was, looking for alternatives, and they are searching the internet for ways to cope with their PTSD naturally. I want to make it easy for that intrepid soul: here be natural alternatives (herbs, supplements) to possibly alleviate some of your PTSD symptoms! (Note: these are my personal opinions and experiences, results may vary per individual)

Holy Basil: I love this stuff. It lowers blood pressure, lowers cortisol, relaxes the whole body and mind. It's like a natural Xanax + mood stabilizer for me. I don't really have anything bad to say about this stuff. It gives me energy without the edge of caffeine. Recommended by the University of Maryland Medical Center as a first-line treatment for PTSD. I take the Organic India 300mg supplement form as well as their tea.

L-theanine: Excellent for anxiety. My go-to in a panic attack - another one I can't really think of any downsides. I prefer to drink it in decaf green tea as the supplement form can be a bit overpowering (confusion, drowsiness).

Zinc: The calming mineral, and it does just that. Most Americans are zinc-deficient due to our poor diets, so it can't hurt. I take a low dose (10 mg 2x day) and it does the trick. I'm also very physically active, which can apparently deplete zinc. For some reason, supplement companies like to package zinc in 50mg doses, which is above the daily limit and can have some funky side effects. Buyer beware!

Rhodiola Rosea: Another great calming herb that gave energy akin to holy basil. It gave me some gastrointestinal issues, so I stopped taking it, but that's not to say you shouldn't give it a shot. I really enjoyed the feeling it produced and would have kept taking it if it weren't for the stomach problems.

Ashwagandha: Similar to Rhodiola Rosea and holy basil, but this one made me sweat profusely (also my libido shot through the roof, and I already have a high libido). If it weren't for those side effects, I would also have kept taking this one.

Vitamin D3: I isolate and stay indoors, which means not a lot of sunshine, which means depression. Vitamin D3 helps in those really dark times. I have a strange allergic reaction to the supplements which actually increases my anxiety and gives me a runny nose, so I take a low dose (400 iu) only when things are desperately dark. It does the trick, and with my other herbs (holy basil, l-theanine) I can manage that anxiety spike.

Chamomile: This stuff is amazing for sleep and anxiety. Unfortunately, it also works similarly to a benzo and screws with your GABA receptors. I'm no doctor of science, but that's what I'm trying to avoid! I only drink this stuff in extreme emergencies. Too much and it defeats the purpose.

I've had the best results with the above so far. Others I've tried that actually did the opposite of what I wanted:

Vitamin B12: Increases energy (good for depression), but my anxiety shot through the roof! That's wack, B.

Skullcap: Amazing at first for anxiety, but too powerful. Confusion and sweats. Also jacked up my libido. And apparently, it acts like a benzo on the brain <--trying to avoid this!

Niacin: This stuff is a boss for depression, but it made me anxious as hell, and the skin flushing was not worth it. Bill W. - founder of AA - loved his niacin. I tried it because I'm a recovering alcoholic, but it didn't take for me.

Ginseng: Another one that's awesome for depression as well as energy, but sent me into fits of rage!

St. John's Wort: Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety. Did not like this stuff at all.

Ginkgo: Haven't taken it consistently enough to notice any marked difference. Will possibly revisit in the future if the need arises. Apparently good for focus and memory.

I'll add more as I try or think of them. I encourage others who have taken natural remedies to share their experiences as well, as I'm only one guinea pig and don't represent the whole PTSD population. Until then, I hope everyone finds what works for them on their healing journey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 11:30 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,799,930 times
OP: Nice to share positives/negatives of what you've worked with. You don't mention Inositol and that could be one from the B family for you to check out, I take it daily...and it's part of my sleep combo. I don't deal with PTSD but have been working with supplements for well over 25 yrs and do best to avoid the drugs.

Too bad you didn't mention PTSD in the header.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements