Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 06:52 AM

136 posts, read 159,901 times

Advertisements

I just took the Micronutrient Cellular Assay test which showed a deficiency in L Lysine and severe deficiency in Taurine. I find these results conflicting as I have none of the symptoms of either deficiency.

Taurine deficiency causes: high blood pressure, high resting heart rate, obesity, and hypothyroid and kidney problems. My thyroid and kidney levels were very good on my complete blood panel just done 2 months ago. My blood pressure is actually on the low side - 100/70 or so. And my resting heart rate is 60 so def not high. I am 5'1 105 lbs so def nowhere near overweight.

Lysine deficiency causes: hair loss, high blood pressure, nausea, and anemia. My hemoglobin level was on the high side, no anema, high iron level, no nausea, thick lushess hair, and low blood pressure.

The problem is I am a health fanatic. After this test, I think if I don't take these supplements I will get health problems. Problem is both these supplements have side effects of lowering your blood pressure! I do not want to lower my blood pressure further. And if high blood pressure is a symptom of both why am I even taking the supplement in the first place!

Most minerals and vitamins were fine besides minor lower levels of Vit A, zinc, magnesium, and iodine. I eat a ton of iodized salt, tons of carrots and potatoes and cheese, and magnesium and zinc were actually above normal on my complete blood panel.

I need advice as my doctor doesn't believe in micronutrient tests and said that my blood panel was almost perfect. Does anyone believe this test to be oversensitive? Are they possible estimating ideal amino acids levels on a 300 pound man when I am a little petite 5 foot women? So confused here.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 05:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
How many threads are you going to create about the same topic? With all due respect OP, I suspect the first sentence in your 4th paragraph may be part of the whole issue. You've admitted you tend toward anxiety, so the obsession pump is already primed. You're already on the prowl for problems that may or may not exist. You can overdo all that to the point it ceases to be beneficial; you end up on an endless search for some nonexistent bogeyman. That can erode your health too.

That you aren't exhibiting any symptoms of significant deficiencies and that your "regular" blood panel results are normal needs to be taken into consideration. Refusing to trust lab results (except the labs you've chosen to trust ) or your MD's interpretation of them is a different problem. You've been getting good news from three directions: you aren't noticing any signs of deficiency for yourself, your routine lab work isn't detecting deficiencies, and your doctor who knows you as a whole person is suggesting you should go out and enjoy your life.

If it makes you feel more in control to do something, why not tweak your diet to increase your intake of those deficient micronutrients and re-test? Because they are what they are, it might not take much to shift those values.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-29-2024 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-29-2024, 11:29 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Taurine is a good supplement
https://twitter.com/Outdoctrination/...52989630034008

Taurine is a calming neurotransmitter:

- Potent GABAnergic (chill)
- Glycine receptor agonism (also very chill)
- Dampens glutamate signalling (anti-stress, anti-excitability)
- Improves mitochondrial function

I've definitely noticed its anti-stress properties @ 500-1000 mg

More on Lysine
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...cking-arginine

Lysine may play a role in reducing anxiety.

Can promote wound healing by helping create collagen

Old 03-03-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Taurine is a good supplement
https://twitter.com/Outdoctrination/...52989630034008

Taurine is a calming neurotransmitter:

- Potent GABAnergic (chill)
- Glycine receptor agonism (also very chill)
- Dampens glutamate signalling (anti-stress, anti-excitability)
- Improves mitochondrial function

I've definitely noticed its anti-stress properties @ 500-1000 mg

More on Lysine
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...cking-arginine

Lysine may play a role in reducing anxiety.

Can promote wound healing by helping create collagen
I started taking the taurine - seems to help with anxiety and actually raised my blood pressure which is good. Lysine I am afraid to take as it says it can cause kidney damage. I have just increased my intake of cheese and yogurt.

Old 03-03-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How many threads are you going to create about the same topic? With all due respect OP, I suspect the first sentence in your 4th paragraph may be part of the whole issue. You've admitted you tend toward anxiety, so the obsession pump is already primed. You're already on the prowl for problems that may or may not exist. You can overdo all that to the point it ceases to be beneficial; you end up on an endless search for some nonexistent bogeyman. That can erode your health too.

That you aren't exhibiting any symptoms of significant deficiencies and that your "regular" blood panel results are normal needs to be taken into consideration. Refusing to trust lab results (except the labs you've chosen to trust ) or your MD's interpretation of them is a different problem. You've been getting good news from three directions: you aren't noticing any signs of deficiency for yourself, your routine lab work isn't detecting deficiencies, and your doctor who knows you as a whole person is suggesting you should go out and enjoy your life.

If it makes you feel more in control to do something, why not tweak your diet to increase your intake of those deficient micronutrients and re-test? Because they are what they are, it might not take much to shift those values.
I posted it in multiple forums to increase the probability of someone getting back to me. Sorry, if you don't like it - you always have the freedom to ignore the posts. Second, you are the one scrolling through internet forums and spying on my posts. Honestly, what does that say about you? Maybe take a look in the mirror. Personally, I don't care if you spend all day on forums. If I see a post I don't like, I don't read it. I only use this site if I have a moving or health question - to each his own should be the new motto in today's society.

Unfortunately, doctors today do not give a damn about their patients. They are modern day pill pushers. Doctors walk out of the door as you are asking them a question. Recently, an ENT would not even answer my question about allergy medicine and instead said I would have to come in and pay for a $200 appointment just to ask a question. Keep in mind I just paid him $500+ several days prior. Another neurologist my husband visited shook his shoulders when my husband asked what could have possibly caused his seizure, spent 3 minutes with him, and was walking out the door as we asked questions - after paying $300. I had to spend the next 2 weeks researching info online. Maybe if the doctors did their jobs adequately, so many people would not have to try to find health answers via the millions of books out today. Ever wonder why self help and health books and internet sites are so popular nowadays. Easy - no one wants to work especially the upper bracket of society.

Unfortunately, I have helped myself a lot more via hours and hours of book and online research regarding health problems. I have managed my health well for the past 30 years. Unfortunately, Covid hit me bad due to my lousy genetics and I have been going through an insanely rough time the past 3 months. Sorry my genetics are not up to par. I tried to get help online after various doctors brushing me off. While doctors say I am healthy via tests and looks, I have been insanely fatigued, anxious, and various other symptoms that affect my quality of life. I have a right to fix my own problem if the doctors do not care and I will do whatever it takes to feel better. I am very proactive and will always fight for my own health. If some people do not like it, let it be. Hoped that there were a few empathetic people left but unfortunately everyone today just looks for an excuse to belittle or judge someone while they could have more productively spend the time providing positive advice. Thankfully, someone actually gave me some positive advice regarding sinus problems and fatigue and I have been feeling about 40% better.

Thanks for convincing me not to use this site anymore. Last thing I need is internet strangers critiquing me for being proactive about my health.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon81 View Post
I posted it in multiple forums to increase the probability of someone getting back to me. Sorry, if you don't like it - you always have the freedom to ignore the posts. Second, you are the one scrolling through internet forums and spying on my posts. Honestly, what does that say about you? Maybe take a look in the mirror. Personally, I don't care if you spend all day on forums. If I see a post I don't like, I don't read it. I only use this site if I have a moving or health question - to each his own should be the new motto in today's society.

Unfortunately, doctors today do not give a damn about their patients. They are modern day pill pushers. Doctors walk out of the door as you are asking them a question. Recently, an ENT would not even answer my question about allergy medicine and instead said I would have to come in and pay for a $200 appointment just to ask a question. Keep in mind I just paid him $500+ several days prior. Another neurologist my husband visited shook his shoulders when my husband asked what could have possibly caused his seizure, spent 3 minutes with him, and was walking out the door as we asked questions - after paying $300. I had to spend the next 2 weeks researching info online. Maybe if the doctors did their jobs adequately, so many people would not have to try to find health answers via the millions of books out today. Ever wonder why self help and health books and internet sites are so popular nowadays. Easy - no one wants to work especially the upper bracket of society.

Unfortunately, I have helped myself a lot more via hours and hours of book and online research regarding health problems. I have managed my health well for the past 30 years. Unfortunately, Covid hit me bad due to my lousy genetics and I have been going through an insanely rough time the past 3 months. Sorry my genetics are not up to par. I tried to get help online after various doctors brushing me off. While doctors say I am healthy via tests and looks, I have been insanely fatigued, anxious, and various other symptoms that affect my quality of life. I have a right to fix my own problem if the doctors do not care and I will do whatever it takes to feel better. I am very proactive and will always fight for my own health. If some people do not like it, let it be. Hoped that there were a few empathetic people left but unfortunately everyone today just looks for an excuse to belittle or judge someone while they could have more productively spend the time providing positive advice. Thankfully, someone actually gave me some positive advice regarding sinus problems and fatigue and I have been feeling about 40% better.

Thanks for convincing me not to use this site anymore. Last thing I need is internet strangers critiquing me for being proactive about my health.
WOW, talk about an overreaction! Spying on you? Excuse me? You happened to post in three subforums I read once in a while. I saw very similar thread titles, got curious, decided to read them and then saw the same questions asked. For your information, cross posting the same exact question in more than one forum is discouraged here.

My post criticized your personal health care? Claimed you don't have the right to fight for your own health? How did my reply belittle, abuse, or judge you? Was I rude? Was I spreading misinformation? No. All I suggested was that testing and research you yourself did isn't showing any clear indications of serious deficiencies. That should be encouragingly good news, not bad!

What I was attempting to do was provide another POV that might cast a different light on the situation...for your benefit! Doing so isn't a crime. You exposed yourself to discussion and comments when you created your threads. I suspect the replies you got from other C-Ders (some were terser than mine) triggered the nerve that you are now displaying. IIRC, I also suggested looking into easy ways to fine tune your diet to address deficiencies before loading up on supplements. A reasonable, commonsense approach. An idea providing grist for the mill. Up to you to take it or leave it. My reply didn't deserve such a diatribe. I do find it ironic that you condemn allopathic medical providers as pill pushing shills but you're fine with the idea of buying pills from unregulated sources equally or more interested in the contents of your wallet.

OK, I get it now. Note to self. Someone's reply to a question you ask is only positive-supportive-empathetic if it agrees with what you already believe. As soon as anyone challenges you, no matter how well intended or civil they are about it, is automatically coldhearted, judgmental and wrong.

Do whatever you want and good luck to you. You might consider finding a better method for dealing with your anxiety. That WILL do you good.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-03-2024 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements