Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 50,956 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I understand that front license plates are a NY state law, but how strictly are they enforced in the Syracuse/F-M area?

Front plates aren't required in 13 states and many areas simply ignore it. Have you driven without a front plate or know someone that does? What are your experiences?

I ask because I am receiving a new car that does not have plate holes drilled into the front bumper... I would like to keep it that way for cosmetic reasons, but if it is strictly enforced, I will need to go get it drilled to avoid tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times
NY State law is the law in NY State. In F-M, of all places, this is especially true... the less crime there is in an area, the more time they have to notice your missing plate.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,686 times
You may get away with it for a few, months or perhaps longer - but you WILL get pulled over and ticketed sooner than later.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,759 times
True, you will get a ticket, about $50 plus the $75 or so they tack on because they can. Around here there are plenty of "seat belt checkpoints", which allow the LEO's to check on current registrations, inspections, open containers, ect. Not all together a terrible thing IMO as they do nab some baddies who insist on drinking and driving, but forewarned is fore armed.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 50,956 times
Thank you for the advice everyone... Not that I'm doing anything wrong, but I do not want to give them a reason to pull me over...

I guess I'll search for front mounting alternatives to drilling holes in the bumper.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 PM

161 posts, read 355,625 times
I wouldn't go without... the state troopers are just itching to write tickets and do their part to save the state budget :-P

Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM

104 posts, read 214,792 times
This is kind of off topic but.....

After living here for less than 1 week, I was pulled over for speeding in Minoa village. The officer told me I was driving 45 in a 30mph zone. I didn't even see the 30mph sign because it was only posted for about 1/2 a mile. I really started paying close attention to the speed limits. It's amazing to me how many times the speed limit changes in a matter of a few miles on the same road! At least I didn't get a ticket.....just a warning.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
This is kind of off topic but.....

After living here for less than 1 week, I was pulled over for speeding in Minoa village. The officer told me I was driving 45 in a 30mph zone. I didn't even see the 30mph sign because it was only posted for about 1/2 a mile. I really started paying close attention to the speed limits. It's amazing to me how many times the speed limit changes in a matter of a few miles on the same road! At least I didn't get a ticket.....just a warning.
It's a good rule of thumb to not drive over 30-35 mph in any village you come into... the speed limit is rarely any more than that in a village. And if there's a school, slow down to 20, especially at the beginning of the year. The police really watch school zones. Not 22 or 23mph... 20. lol

Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 PM

104 posts, read 214,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It's a good rule of thumb to not drive over 30-35 mph in any village you come into... the speed limit is rarely any more than that in a village. And if there's a school, slow down to 20, especially at the beginning of the year. The police really watch school zones. Not 22 or 23mph... 20. lol
Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I would also pay careful attention to Fayetteville-Manlius Road (Route 257), also referred to as South Manlius Street in the village of Fayetteville. There is a stretch by Wellwood Middle School that is 20 MPH during school hours.

"700 s manlius" "fayetteville" - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area