Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,385 times

Advertisements

According to population estimates released today by the Census Bureau, the city of Syracuse lost just 69 residents in the past year compared with annual average losses of approximately 1,000 residents in the earlier and middle portions of the last decade. To be sure, the population losses in most northeastern and midwest cities have slowed in the last two years as the economy and housing market have made relocation difficult. Syracuse has faired far better than other Great Lakes cities like Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Flint, and Buffalo that have continued to experience sharp population declines. Buffalo lost more than 1,000 residents in the past year.

For the first time in more than 5 years, Onondaga County has experienced population growth, albeit on an anemic scale, adding nearly 1,500 residents.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/cities.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:14 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Any growth is good growth when you consider other aspects in terms of the economy and recent historical information in terms of population data. Hopefully, the area can build or gain some more momentum in terms of more growth in its economy and population.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:44 AM

107 posts, read 219,420 times
Definitely good news. I always wonder about these statistics; for example: in 2000 we had 147,000 residents in the city, and the 2008 the estimate is 138,000. So according to that 9000 people left over the course of 10 years. But where is all the vacant housing from those 9,000 people? I don't seem to recall the demolition of a few thousand apartments, or houses. There doesn't really seem to be a glut of empty homes on the market. Although there are definitely some...Where did these former residents leave? I tend to estimate that there's maybe a couple hundred empty homes on the market here, and even then i don't really recall any stark difference in vacant houses going back to year 2000. My feeling on the street is that population is more or less the same as it was back in 2000 and we're turning a corner towards some slow growth in the next decade.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,897 times
*Wonderful* news!

Finally, some concrete numbers to squelch the outbursts of Syracuse-haters who grew up thinking that way. lol "People are leaving in hordes!" No, actually- they're not.

I have to say- I've been going out a lot more lately (kids are getting older and it's less intimidating for my husband to stay at home with them) and guest bartending here and there for a few weeks... there's absolutely NO lack of things to do, for young people. They just need to go *somewhere*... there are no stacks of embossed invitations, telling you where to have fun. Just DO something.

I think that 20-something CNY'ers, who grew up here, were raised with the "CNY sucks" mentality. Over the past year especially, it seems like they're all moving back and LOVING it. Not one person has had trouble finding a job. Not one is overwhelmed with snow... they're going ice skating downtown, snowboarding and tubing with friends on weekday nights and weekends. Comedy shows and concerts throughout the year - day or weekend trips to NYC for games and concerts. They're realizing that Syracuse is NOT what they were led to believe, now that they're old enough to enjoy it for themselves. And it's perfect for the families they're now starting...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
*Wonderful* news!

Finally, some concrete numbers to squelch the outbursts of Syracuse-haters who grew up thinking that way. lol "People are leaving in hordes!" No, actually- they're not.

I have to say- I've been going out a lot more lately (kids are getting older and it's less intimidating for my husband to stay at home with them) and guest bartending here and there for a few weeks... there's absolutely NO lack of things to do, for young people. They just need to go *somewhere*... there are no stacks of embossed invitations, telling you where to have fun. Just DO something.

I think that 20-something CNY'ers, who grew up here, were raised with the "CNY sucks" mentality. Over the past year especially, it seems like they're all moving back and LOVING it. Not one person has had trouble finding a job. Not one is overwhelmed with snow... they're going ice skating downtown, snowboarding and tubing with friends on weekday nights and weekends. Comedy shows and concerts throughout the year - day or weekend trips to NYC for games and concerts. They're realizing that Syracuse is NOT what they were led to believe, now that they're old enough to enjoy it for themselves. And it's perfect for the families they're now starting...
I totally agree and I think a lot it has to do with the fact that many people stay in their one section or part of town in their youth. meaning, if you are from say East Syracuse, you might not get to experience things in other parts of the county or city that might be of interest to you. So, it's almost like people don't really get to know where they live while growing up here. Once they get old enough and get to know what is around the area, then they start to have a greater appreciation for the area. I think that is the case most times when people say that the area sucks, but they hardly know the area at large.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,232 times
Any report that the mass exodus of 1980-present has slowed is good news for the city and the region. I agree that the bursting of the real estate bubble likely contributed to dwindling numbers, but this re-urbanization trend of the past decade presents a golden opportunity to somewhat downtrodden cities such as Syracuse. The next few years will be crucial for the city - can it capitalize on this great societal change and become another Portland, or will it (and surrounding jurisdictions) make the same mistakes it has made for the past half-century?

I'm cautiously optimistic, and excited for my August move.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,209 times
Great news indeed! Seems to be a trend in the northeast, the grass is not greener down here in the sunbelt. Hopefully, the economic transition taking place in Syracuse will give it momentum, not an aberration. Syracuse is certainly focused on the right industires.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Now if we could just get rid of the dysfunctional government in Albany...

Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Now if we could just get rid of the dysfunctional government in Albany...
Yep! It better happen soon, because once the economy gets back on the track, the exodus is going to pick up again. In the 1990s, before the subprime boom, upstate NY had lost 10% of its age 18-44 population:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny.../13census.html

Onondaga county lucked out in the census btw. Other areas of upstate weren't so lucky:

Census estimates show growth in New York City, losses Upstate | syracuse.com

Quote:
The story was different in many Upstate areas, which have been losing population for decades as people, especially young college graduates, leave for the South and West. The Census reports that the fastest population decreases among counties were rural. Topping the list was northern New York’s Hamilton County, which lost 8.4 percent of its population since 2000; Delaware County, which lost 5.3 percent; and Cattaraugus County, which lost 5.1 percent.

Erie County, home to Buffalo, lost 4.3 percent of its population and had the largest numerical drop of any county: 41,018.
If NYS doesn't get its act together and come up with meaningful tax reform, people, along with businesses, are going to continue to escape upstate NY. Seriously, why deal with a tax structure made for NYC, when you've got a better business climate in places like Pittsburgh, PA and northern VA?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yep! It better happen soon, because once the economy gets back on the track, the exodus is going to pick up again. In the 1990s, before the subprime boom, upstate NY had lost 10% of its age 18-44 population:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny.../13census.html

Onondaga county lucked out in the census btw. Other areas of upstate weren't so lucky:

Census estimates show growth in New York City, losses Upstate | syracuse.com

If NYS doesn't get its act together and come up with meaningful tax reform, people, along with businesses, are going to continue to escape upstate NY. Seriously, why deal with a tax structure made for NYC, when you've got a better business climate in places like Pittsburgh, PA and northern VA?
Are you sure about this one, as it is in one of the most expensive metros in the country and has one of the most affluent counties in the US as well. I can see Pittsburgh though....

Also, I wonder if some other states can keep it up with the high amounts of corporate welfare that occurs in many Southern states. Here's an interesting article about that: EconSouth, Vol. 10, No. 1, Southern States Ply the Art of the Deal

and some more interesting information: The Tax Foundation - State Business Tax Climate Index-- Corporate Tax Index, 2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area