Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM

15 posts, read 39,882 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm planning a surprise weekend getaway to the finger lakes region for a wine tasting tour with my fiance. We're about a three hour drive away, so we'll drive up on Saturday morning. I'd like to plan a wine tasting tour with a driver on Saturday, spend the night Saturday night, maybe tour a winery or just drive around Sunday morning or early afternoon, then drive back. I'm tentatively planning this the weekend of the 7-9 of November.

Which one of the lakes would you guys recommend? Are the prices (for wine, dining, hotels, etc.) pretty similar at all of the lakes? We like dry red wines, particularly pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and the occasional white, though we're always open to trying other varieties. Are some lakes better than others for particular grape varieties? Or are there vineyards that have a variety throughout the region?

A B&B isn't out of the question, but my fiance doesn't really care for them as much as a hotel, so that's the route I'll probably go. She had lousy experiences both times she's ever done a B&B. Does anyone have any good hotel suggestions? Or even a great B&B suggestion?

And does anyone have any suggestions for a driver service for our wine tasting tour? I'd prefer a service that provides an education about the area and the wineries and a driver who can tailor our tour to our tastes in wine, rather than just a chauffeur that takes us where we ask to go.

I've been searching the internet, and I'm not finding much non-commercial information. Most everything that I've found has been websites set up by each of the different wineries, hotels, B&Bs, or touring services... So of course, each of them is the best in the area! lol

I know I've got a bunch of questions, but I'm hoping you guys can at least help me out with some of them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:16 AM

93,664 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Do you want to stay in more of a small town or one of the cities in the region? I ask due to other possibilities for things to do or it may be a matter of wanting a quaint feel. Becca8377 is poster that should have some great ideas in regards to the topic.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,427,842 times
My sister, who would like to be a reviewer, goes every year...I sent her your post...if
her pc is not down, ha, she will give you what you kneed to know.
Crossing fingers.

I have only done the tour once about 5 yrs ago.
She is right in Syr.
(I'm in CO now.)

Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,534,575 times
The Finger Lakes region has my heart!

I recommend Seneca Lake as it has the most wineries available. Their wine trail website will give you tons of info - Seneca Lake Winery Association

You will find that, in general, Finger Lakes wines tend to be much sweeter than the ones that come out of Napa Valley and elsewhere. For dry wines on Seneca, I HIGHLY recommend Billsboro and Monello (the owner of Monello is a personal friend of mine, and that winery's anniversary party will likely be that weekend).

If possible, I'd recommend staying down in Watkins Glen - cute little town right on the lake that's got a bunch of shops and whatnot, plus a state park with a waterfall right smack dab in the middle of it. There are a few hotels and B&Bs right in Watkins Glen and you'd be fine at pretty much any of them.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 AM

357 posts, read 969,264 times
Here is the website that has maps of each lake and it's wineries. Wine Trails of the Finger Lakes | Finger Lakes Wine Country

I've only ever done them as day trips but I will say that I love the town of Aurora on Cayuga lake and typically do a stop there for lunch at the Pumpkin Hill Bistro Pumpkin Hill and stop at the Mackenzie Childs barn where all the stuff is made MacKenzie-Childs - OurStores The inns in Aurora are hotels but resemble B&B's, this site lists 3 of them Inns of Aurora: Lakeside Dining & Accommodations. Many of the rooms have fireplaces, if you click on the link to the room they will show you pics, here is an example of one of the rooms Inns of Aurora: Lakeside Dining & Accommodations » 3 Village View King/Fireplace Aurora is also home to Wells college which has a beautiful campus to walk around.

I also agree with Becca8377 that Seneca lake and Watkins Glen is really great too, I just know less about them.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the quick replies! I'd prefer to stay in a small town with a more quaint feel, rather than a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
The Finger Lakes region has my heart!

I recommend Seneca Lake as it has the most wineries available. Their wine trail website will give you tons of info - Seneca Lake Winery Association

You will find that, in general, Finger Lakes wines tend to be much sweeter than the ones that come out of Napa Valley and elsewhere. For dry wines on Seneca, I HIGHLY recommend Billsboro and Monello (the owner of Monello is a personal friend of mine, and that winery's anniversary party will likely be that weekend).

If possible, I'd recommend staying down in Watkins Glen - cute little town right on the lake that's got a bunch of shops and whatnot, plus a state park with a waterfall right smack dab in the middle of it. There are a few hotels and B&Bs right in Watkins Glen and you'd be fine at pretty much any of them.
Thanks for this information. I'll definitely be looking up those two wineries and where to stay in Watkins Glen.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Here is the website that has maps of each lake and it's wineries. Wine Trails of the Finger Lakes | Finger Lakes Wine Country

I've only ever done them as day trips but I will say that I love the town of Aurora on Cayuga lake and typically do a stop there for lunch at the Pumpkin Hill Bistro Pumpkin Hill and stop at the Mackenzie Childs barn where all the stuff is made MacKenzie-Childs - OurStores The inns in Aurora are hotels but resemble B&B's, this site lists 3 of them Inns of Aurora: Lakeside Dining & Accommodations. Many of the rooms have fireplaces, if you click on the link to the room they will show you pics, here is an example of one of the rooms Inns of Aurora: Lakeside Dining & Accommodations » 3 Village View King/Fireplace Aurora is also home to Wells college which has a beautiful campus to walk around.

I also agree with Becca8377 that Seneca lake and Watkins Glen is really great too, I just know less about them.
Wow. Thanks for all this information and the links. I'll be checking these out!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,534,575 times
Just another thought on places to stay on Seneca Lake - may want to look into Geneva as well which is on the north end of the lake (Watkins Glen is the south). Maybe even check out Belhurst Castle to stay in (on the pricier side)

Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,619,741 times
I second Bellhurst and Inn of Aurora. I don't drink wine, but my mom was in town over the summer and she loves a dry red. Most wines she tried were much too sweet. Three Brothers on Seneca Lake is a very cool place, but the wine wasn't very good. Out of all the places we tried, my mom was fond of Zugibe Vineyards 4248 E Lake Rd Geneva, NY 14456. It is a stone's throw from the better known Three Brothers. These are all at the top of Seneca Lake

Here is a listing of a few wineries with dry reds. Best Finger Lakes Wineries for Dry Red Wines

I looked all over for a tour to take so we wouldn't have to drive and all I came across was a trolley tour. Trolley Wine Tours of the Finger Lakes

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM

93,664 posts, read 124,403,512 times
I'm not a wine drinker, but I third Belhurst Castle in Geneva. I've been to a couple of weddings there and it is a great setting right by Seneca Lake. Geneva is a small city of about 14,000 people, but has a nice, historical Downtown. Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Geneva | Uniquely Urban

Belhurst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area