Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times

Advertisements

The Syracuse area will run out of phone numbers in the 315 area code by 2010. The State Public Service Commission has released four options. Only one makes any sense.

I'm in favor of Option 2!!!! Take a look at the map of Option 2 here:
http://www.9wsyr.com/media/news/6/a/...42/option2.pdf

Why did I pick Option 2? Process of elimination. The only plan that keeps most of the Syracuse Metropolitan Area in the same area code is Option 2.

The following are NOT good options for the Syracuse area:
-Option 1 places parts of Baldwinsville and Oswego County in a separate area code from Syracuse and Onondaga County. Southern Oswego County should be in the same area code as Onondaga County!!!

-Option 3 separates all of Madison County.... including Cazenovia.... from Onondaga County. Not good. Western Madison County should be in the same area code as Onondaga County!!!!

-Option 4 is the overlay plan. Enough said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,477 times
I think option #2 is also the best, and for basically the same reasoning as yours.

I wonder where they get the basis for those boundaries? Wouldn't going along county lines be a reasonable approach also?

So complexe in its simplicity.....

Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
When an area runs out of phone numbers, I am assuming that the population is increasing throuhgout the area code?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM

640 posts, read 2,011,682 times
No...just more cell phones beepers and fax machines.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
I agree with #2. It defines CNY/Syracuse.

I like the 315 code. It's familiar. Did they say what the new code would be?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:00 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Two Separate Phone Area Codes=Eastern/Northern & Central/Western

I know this is an old thread but at the bottom of the thread it says it is still an Open Thread. And I have not heard that a final decision has been made. Does anyone know if this subject has already been decided/selection made?

A layover of a new area code is a terrible idea. You'd have to dial the new area code whenever it didn't match your current area code; your neighbor down the street with a different area code, the business in your village who you often call, etc.

It is best to establish two separate area codes (not overlay two area codes), that's what they did when they separated the Rochester area from the Buffalo area.

Go mostly by County Lines except the far-eastern Madison County including the City of Oneida should be included with the eastern/northern (Utica-Watertown) area code.

I realize that the Public Service Commission probably would not accept any additional area code suggestions but I will still outline my plan for the new area code because I think my suggestion would be the very best plan. My suggestion is sort of an east-west split.

This would be the best split>>

One separate eastern/northern area code to include: far-eastern Madison County, all of Oneida County, the 315 portion of Chenango County, the 315 portion of Otsego County, all of Herkimer County, the 315 portion of Hamilton County, all of Lewis County, all of Jefferson County, & the 315 portion of St. Lawrence County.

A second separate central/western area code to include: western Madison County, all of Onondaga County, all of Oswego County (all of Oswego County has more connection with the Syracuse/Onondaga area), the 315 portion of Cayuga County, the 315 portion of Seneca County, the 315 portion of Wayne County, the 315 portion of Ontario County, & the 315 portion of Yates County.

I realize that my separation plan does not match the plans proposed by the Public Service Commission, but I believe the division that I've suggested is the best plan.

grdnrman

Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
This seems like something from the 80's.

Do people actually still manually enter numbers more then once anymore??

Does anyone still pay for long distance??

If I call anyone I don't know (CL ad or what not) its two seconds to enter three more numbers. Family or friends its just tap Mom or Frank or whatever. Almost everyone I know lives outside 315 and until this thread I swear I had forgotten we even still had area codes.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 AM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
This seems like something from the 80's.

Do people actually still manually enter numbers more then once anymore??

Does anyone still pay for long distance??

If I call anyone I don't know (CL ad or what not) its two seconds to enter three more numbers. Family or friends its just tap Mom or Frank or whatever. Almost everyone I know lives outside 315 and until this thread I swear I had forgotten we even still had area codes.
Yes. A lot of people still have to use/enter all 10 numbers when making distant (other Area Code locations) phone calls; offices, business people, salesmen, others who are trying to develop new business, etc. are always calling new potential customers located in different Area Codes. Those numbers probably will not be "programmed" into being verbally or 2/3 digit memorized phone numbers. Whereas your personal 25/30 family & friends phone numbers will be in the phone memory.

Yeah. Its not a big deal to have to enter 3 more digits (Area Code) when a person makes a phone call especially if that person does not make very many phone calls. I bet the "tele-marketer" phone callers love to enter 3 more digit numbers for eight hours a day; but I guess they don't have much choice if they are in Dallas and want to call Syracuse or Orlando or Seattle or Chicago. Actually, thinking about it, I bet the tele-marketers can simply speak a phone number into the phone rather than have to enter the number with their fingers. I don't have that yet!

Area Codes are required regardless of whether or not you make few phone/fax calls or thousands of calls constantly=daily, weekly, monthly, yearly. There is not an infinite/endless amount of possible numbers available to be assigned to people & companies & entities as more and more landline-phones/cell-phones/fax machines/communication devices each require different numbers to reach that particular >>singular<< person/individual-unit/location. Within just one typical family, everyone has their own phone number. Mom, dad, their 17 yr. old son, their 15 yr. old daughter, their 13 yr. old and their 10 yr. old ALL want their own separate/specific phone number which is billed/charged under one family phone service plan; everyone in the family does not want >>one single phone number<< to serve/to use for the whole family. The 17 yr. old son doesn't want the 10 yr. old or dad to be answering phone calls from his girlfriend(s) AND even worse would be if other people in the family "thoughtlessly" wanted to use the "family single-number phone-number" to call the doctor or schedule a car repair appointment when the 15 yr. old daughter "needs"/"requires" to be on the phone for HOURS talking to her several social friends; that's just SO thoughtless that the rest of the family wants to use that family-one-number phone service=that's why everyone in the family "needs"/"has"/"requires" their own separate phone, each phone with its separate distinct/individual assigned phone number. Its not like "in the old days" when a family had just ONE phone number. Now the family has the same number of (or even MORE) phone numbers as there are people in the family. I even know some people who have 2 or 3 phone numbers (or multiple cell phones) specifically for themself (one individual). Oh-oh! I have 2 numbers. NO 3!! Think about business people and salesmen and construction workers and farmers and firemen and school children and on & on & on who all want their own individual distinct phone number; that's a mind-boggling amount of numbers. There is not an infinite amount of numbers available unless you make use of separate Area Codes. At a certain point you run out of assignable numbers unless you divide the country/world into parcels of land/population and give each parcel its own separate Area Code. By doing that you've multiplied the total amount of numbers available to be assigned to new users. You can use phone number 555-4810 over and over and over again if you place a different Area Code in front of that 555-4810 number; 315-555-4810, 518-555-4810, 716-555-4810, 775-555-4810, 212-555-4810, 607-555-4810 and keep on going.

Yes, you can "program" some phones to call some particular phone number simply by you touching 2 or 3 numbers (rather than entering all 10 number digits) on your phone or just by verbally telling your phone to call your brother Tim, but your phone knows that brother Tim has a specific/distinct Area Code in front of his 7 digit phone number.
.................................................. .................................................. .....

Anyway, I have little confidence that the Public Service Commission will select the best possible Area Code Plan for an additional Area Code or splitting the 315 Area Code into two areas. I still believe that (the current 315 Area Code region) the best plan is a separate eastern/northern Utica-Watertown-Massena-Norwich Area Code AND a separate central/western Syracuse-Oswego-Sodus-Geneva-Penn Yan Area Code.

grdnrman

Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
From what i have seen online, any new changes to the 315 area code won't occur until early 2013.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
The original post says the 315 is going to run out of numbers in 2010....here it is 2012 and we've survived! And still aren't out of numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area