Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 07:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,106,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, stop with the projection psychologically about subsidized housing for one. That isn't even the only type of housing I refer to or talk about.

Two, if you read the thread and others like it in the same Syracuse forum, you would see what I mentioned many times.

Three, no one is disagreeing about jobs or interjecting them, but you. I already explained why bellafinzi has been starting the threads and it is in relation to Micron. So, that is something that has obviously been considered in terms of why such threads have been created.
This is asking YOU!!!! You stated there are other ways to build 20,000 housing units besides jobs. You keep stating this is a site for information, yet you won't share. I really want to know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 07:45 AM

93,455 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This is asking YOU!!!! You stated there are other ways to build 20,000 housing units besides jobs. You keep stating this is a site for information, yet you won't share. I really want to know the answer.
I already offered some information on the first page. Also, check out the city design thread. I told you where to look. I spoon feed enough information on here and if you just take a little time to look at related threads in the forum, you will see what I've been saying in similar threads. I have also mentioned ideas for development in a thread I created a few years ago. So, this isn't even a new subject in the Syracuse forum.

In general, I will say that the only thing about the Mattydale aspect is that the infill would either have to be a small detached housing development, attached housing or apartments. A mixed use development in this location, as mentioned in another thread, would make sense: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1027...8192?entry=ttu

There are other lots like this in first ring suburbs and within city limits that could be developed before building a bunch of homes in second and third ring towns, which would create sprawl. Let alone consideration for winters in the area and how that should be considered in terms of development as well. I say that not only from a development standpoint, but also in terms of even recreation. For instance, if the population is set to grow again, the Toggenburg Ski Area in Fabius could be opened again: https://www.syracuse.com/business/20...-monopoly.html So, the hills south of the city also offer potential for recreational uses.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-29-2023 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-29-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
EXACTLY!

When I read the opening headline to this discussion, my first thought was who is going to occupy these 20,000 homes, and how are the residents going to afford them? Currently, it appears to me, that the Federal Government is doing as much as possible to send jobs out of the country, so what is going to draw that many people to western NY?

Yup, all common sense. I guess some think magic will pay for all that.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:16 AM

^Weird response given that the guy started the thread due to the area actually slated to get an influx of jobs. If you know, you know...

Old 08-29-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Weird response given that the guy started the thread due to the area actually slated to get an influx of jobs. If you know, you know...
Talk about weird responses-not. As usual, you fight with me, and then finally agree---jobs. Not "something else".

Old 08-29-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Talk about weird responses-not. As usual, you fight with me, and then finally agree---jobs. Not "something else".
Just stop! You are literally sidetracking the thread and making it about yourself as usual. Again, jobs are coming or at least projected to be coming to the area. So, to keep bringing up jobs is something that was already assumed in regards to the conversation.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:32 AM

You are really something. evadeing a simple question for how many posts, and then blame me??

And as YOU say ”projected”.

So for now, its Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

Even if Micron is built, it's Jobs.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You are really something. evadeing a simple question for how many posts, and then blame me??

And as YOU say ”projected”.

So for now, its Jobs, Jobs, Jobs

Even if Micron is built, it's Jobs.
No, it is called giving a response with an answer to your question, which has been illustrated on the first page.

Again, the OP bellafinzi and I know that jobs are coming. So, to make that an emphasis of the thread doesn't make sense and is getting away from the topic. Especially when that has already been addressed multiple times in the thread.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:29 PM

2,824 posts, read 2,290,358 times
It would be nice to see development in the Syracuse area focus on creating new urban developments like Kentlands outside DC in
Maryland. It basically tried to recreate the traditional village feel. A commercial town center with apartments and townhouses near the center than an interconnected grid of single family homes. Parks, trails, sidewalks, street trees, streetlights, underground power lines. Much better IMO than the disconnected suburban cul-de-sacs with no sidewalks or street lights and street trees and you have to drive to everything (even parks). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent...burg,_Maryland

Old 08-29-2023, 03:57 PM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
It would be nice to see development in the Syracuse area focus on creating new urban developments like Kentlands outside DC in
Maryland. It basically tried to recreate the traditional village feel. A commercial town center with apartments and townhouses near the center than an interconnected grid of single family homes. Parks, trails, sidewalks, street trees, streetlights, underground power lines. Much better IMO than the disconnected suburban cul-de-sacs with no sidewalks or street lights and street trees and you have to drive to everything (even parks). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent...burg,_Maryland
I understand what you're getting at, and I can't accurately comment on Syracuse, as I don't live there. But based on what I've seen in the Rochester area, where I've lived for the last 65 years, let me saw this. While these "planned communities" may be nice, the problem is that you essentially need 2 major pieces of the puzzle to fall into place AT THE SAME TIME.

Those pieces are a place for the residents to live, and a place for the residents to work. Without both, the theory falters. It happened in the Rochester area, with the previously mentioned "planned towns" of Riverton, to the south west of Rochester, and Gananda, to the east of Rochester.

I'm more familiar with the east side of the area, so my comments apply to Gananda. From what I saw and heard, it appeared that the developers of Gananda looked at the early success and growth of the Xerox Corporation, and the construction of Xerox's sizeable manufacturing complex in the Town of Webster, NY, east of Rochester.

It was assumed, incorrectly, as it turned out, that the growth would continue for decades to come, therefore housing for the assumed thousands of workers would be needed. A few investors pooled their ideas and monies, and the planned town of Gananda came to be. It was about a 15 minute drive to the Xerox complex. Long story short, Xerox didn't grow at the assumed rate, therefore the number of employees didn't occur, so the housing wasn't needed.

Bottom line, Gananda stalled, and is now simply a small community "out in the boondocks"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area