Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I've never been to a Wegmans, but can someone tell me why they are so special?
Check it out for yourself:Wegmans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Wegmans is a very clean, well-run, well-stocked super grocery. They are based in upstate NY. Have stores in PA and now I think down in MD and VA. They are the dominant chain in Rochester and Syracuse. However, farther east (toward Albany) you won't find them.

They are always getting named to the nation's top 10 employers by Fortune magazine, they treat their employees well (probably to keep the unions out) and as a result it is usually a pleasure to shop there. Also, I hear their selection is comparable to Whole Foods but the prices are better. (Also they are far less pretentious than Whole Foods!)

It is just really difficult to go back to another grocery chain after getting used to Wegmans. Other groceries seem so much dirtier and poorly run in comparison.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Wegmans is a very clean, well-run, well-stocked super grocery. They are based in upstate NY. Have stores in PA and now I think down in MD and VA. They are the dominant chain in Rochester and Syracuse. However, farther east (toward Albany) you won't find them.

They are always getting named to the nation's top 10 employers by Fortune magazine, they treat their employees well (probably to keep the unions out) and as a result it is usually a pleasure to shop there. Also, I hear their selection is comparable to Whole Foods but the prices are better. (Also they are far less pretentious than Whole Foods!)

It is just really difficult to go back to another grocery chain after getting used to Wegmans. Other groceries seem so much dirtier and poorly run in comparison.
That's absolutely true. I think it has to do with employee pay and treatment

Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Wegman's is THE grocery store. Jeromeville is exactly right... other grocery store "experiences" fall flat... probably because going to them is NOT an experience. It's simply getting your stuff and getting out and home asap. When you shop at Wegmans, it is an EXPERIENCE. I know that sounds dramatic but it really is a unique place... it appeals instantly to all of your senses (at least the one near us in Dewitt does) and you feel cozy and surrounded by the ideal.

There is nothing like walking into Wegman's on a Sunday morning for the newspaper and being greeted by the chef, singing his heart out to the radio while making fresh belgian waffles and other delicious, made to your specifications, breakfast foods. Turn around, there's a cafe that blows Starbucks out of the water... then, you see specialty sections for tens of thousands of square feet. Fresh fish, meats, cheeses, gourment dishes you can take home, sushi bars... and that's not even going into the GROCERY store yet. LOL - it's fantastic!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:

I co-sign on all of that as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they become a regional supermarket either from the DC area up or up and down the east Coast.

It is interesting that you can't find them East of the Syracuse area though. It seems like Hannaford's are big in those areas. I've seen them in Watertown, Utica and I know they are in other areas too. Price Chopper is also big in those areas, as well as Syracuse and Central NY.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 PM

I was under the impression that Wegmans wasn't in certain areas because of their non-union status, but I could be totally wrong.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:54 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
I loved the Wegmans when I lived in Binghamton, NY. It truly was a shopping experience. I loved it. Nothing here in Houston compares.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
I loved the Wegmans when I lived in Binghamton, NY. It truly was a shopping experience. I loved it. Nothing here in Houston compares.
One of these days we will probably see them around the country. I would assume they would have to do their research and move in baby steps before doing so.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Wegmans is a family-owned company. They are known to be very cautious in their expansion. I doubt you will ever see them on the West Coast or even further into the South. They also closed their chain of hardware stores (Chase Pitkin) rather than endanger their grocery operation.

I hope Wegs does not take too much of a loss on the recent price cuts on staple items. This is known in the industry as a "loss leader" but, well, sometimes it just leads to a loss. They did this for good publicity and customer loyalty, apparently banking on continued drops in fuel prices next year. If the price of oil goes way up again next year they will have a problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
I hope Wegs does not take too much of a loss on the recent price cuts on staple items. This is known in the industry as a "loss leader" but, well, sometimes it just leads to a loss. They did this for good publicity and customer loyalty, apparently banking on continued drops in fuel prices next year. If the price of oil goes way up again next year they will have a problem.
There's a definite price drop... flour is $1.50/5lb. bag... about a third of the price I've seen elsewhere. I've been stocking up because I bake frequently but also because when/if the national economy does get worse, the prices won't remain low like they are now. But, their plan to get me in their store for the baking loss leaders is effective. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area