Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,365 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm moving from Orlando, Fl to Syracuse, NY in a couple of weeks. I was wondering IF any of you knew of any good apartment complexes in or around Syracuse? I would like to be with in 15 miles of the City of Syracuse and would like to be in a safe and nice neighborhood. Ive used all the search engines on the Internet, but would like to hear from people that live in or near Syracuse, and tell me the best area's. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
As long as the Apartment is at least 1 mile outside of the City of Syracuse, chances are you'll be in a safe neighborhood. Liverpool, Salina, Clay, Cicero, and Camillus are affordable and safe. Manlius, Fayetteville, and parts of Baldwinsville are safe though a little more expensive areas.

More commercial retail/shopping establishments exist in the Liverpool, Clay, Cicero and Camillus areas.

The only suburbs I wouldn't suggest is East Syracuse (sort of depressing), DeWitt (too close to the city and Erie Blvd is an eyesore IMO, parts closer to Manlius are nice though) and Onondaga Hill (you have to travel through the worst part of the city to get anywhere...like downtown, also it's more like living in the country and it has very little retail)

I'm really not sure what you are looking for, but I've been suggesting Ravada Hill Apartments in Liverpool (really it's in Clay, but the zip code is Liverpool) to others in the past only since it's close to where I live and I saw it under construction a couple years ago. So it's brand new. It's near the Woodward Industrial Park, which is not that bad, but its not very impressive either. Though right down the road are nice upscale developments. Taft Road, which is nearby, has a Wegmans, some fast food etc. It's located between the Route 57 commercial strip area, Route 11 commercial district and Route 31, which has all the major department stores and large Mall etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,365 times
thanks for the info, Im pretty much looking for a 1 bedroom apartment, something in a new/modern complex, my price range is any where up to $1000 a month, but would like to spend less then that. Ill check out that Ravada Hill place.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM

34 posts, read 111,504 times
Bellafinzi,

I see you are the moderator, so you know alot...I am coming from Irvine, Calif. April 1st.
I found a rental in Eastwood, that I am considering, because it has certain things I need and like,for ex:
a screened in porch, hardwood floors, pet friendly, fireplace, laundry hookups, garage for car cover in winter, but she wants a 1 year lease, I have not been there yet, I have been trying to find a place to land, I have been researching Connecticutt, and New Hampshire. I am coming for the seasons and this is my dream to move back to the New England area. I thought once I get there I could go and find my
spot/town/area that appeals to me....meanwhile will I be disappointed in Syracuse?
This rental in in Eastwood, is this east side, it is on Teall Ave. Please give me your best opinion.
Sincerely Sandra

Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 AM

161 posts, read 355,587 times
The property market everywhere is pretty rough right now, maybe you can negotiate a 6-month lease? There are plenty of properties always on the market around there, so I wouldn't feel too trapped into that one. Eastwood isn't East Syracuse although its kind of concurrent with it. Eastwood is sort of a village within the city; its walkable and has its own center. I know people who live there who love it, and a lot of younger people are moving into that area.

Syracuse is what you make of it. I left for work reasons, not because its a bad place to be. There is a lot of cultural activites, like the Red House and Syracuse Stage, but you have to look harder for them than you would elsewhere. It also has some really rough neighborhoods, and you have to be willing to go near them sometimes if you want to go downtown to eat or have fun. The city has really cleaned up since i grew up there, and hopefully it will keep improving.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
The real estate market here is the second strongest in the nation (re: Forbes Magazine recently) so I wouldn't count on deals to be had.

That said, Teall St. isn't so much Eastwood as the north side. As a retiree, Midler might be better... closer walking distance to the "village within a city" area you refer to and - at least it *seems* - with an older population and related community events, especially around Blessed Sacrament. For walkability and a more eclectic feel, Wescott/University might be better... IF you can find somewhere not next door to rowdy student housing. LOL

Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM

34 posts, read 111,504 times
Good Morning, Thank you each for your advice, I have not seen the pictures yet. I talk to my son
last night, who had a friend of his move to Syracuse (Martial Arts Profession & Law Officier)
His friend lived in Syracuse for a year, then moved to Boston, where he really likes better.
These guys are in their late 20's, very reliable and knows me very well, but my son said his buddy found
Syracuse too quiet, so that was not a heads up for me, but my son is happy wherever I go as long as
it makes me happy. But I want him to like where I live and I need a place that might attract him to living there. (him and my daughter who is 22) That place sounds so nice, but signing that lease for a year before I see it will not work...we will see...maybe she could be a little more flexible, 3 mos would be perfect, then I could really get there and live and get the feel.....thanks so much sincerely sandra

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerstar View Post
Bellafinzi,

I see you are the moderator, so you know alot...I am coming from Irvine, Calif. April 1st.
I found a rental in Eastwood, that I am considering, because it has certain things I need and like,for ex:
a screened in porch, hardwood floors, pet friendly, fireplace, laundry hookups, garage for car cover in winter, but she wants a 1 year lease, I have not been there yet, I have been trying to find a place to land, I have been researching Connecticutt, and New Hampshire. I am coming for the seasons and this is my dream to move back to the New England area. I thought once I get there I could go and find my
spot/town/area that appeals to me....meanwhile will I be disappointed in Syracuse?
This rental in in Eastwood, is this east side, it is on Teall Ave. Please give me your best opinion.
Sincerely Sandra
I don't know if you'll be disappointed in Syracuse. That depends on if you enjoy city, country, or suburban living. If you like living in a city, than there's a chance you'll like it in Eastwood.

There is a trend I noticed....most people who live in the city dislike the area, most people who live in the suburbs like the area. Based on that observation, I generally think that most newcomers would like living in the suburbs over the city since that is where most locals enjoy living.

I can almost guarantee you will like living in the Syracuse area if you move to a place I'd live. I wouldn't live in Eastwood, that's why I do not suggest it. Generally speaking, I only suggest places to outsiders where I'd live.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Oops, maybe I didn't make myself clear....

By "place", I mean neighborhoods or towns in the Syracuse area.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 AM

161 posts, read 355,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
There is a trend I noticed....most people who live in the city dislike the area, most people who live in the suburbs like the area.
That's a ridiculously broad statement. It's totally up to the individual and what they expect from the city or suburb, their lifestyle, and their point in life.

I know many people who love living in Eastwood, and many who prefer the suburbs. I'd not make any rash decisions, and find somewhere short term until you can decide for yourself. At the very least, Eastwood isn't dangerous or rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area