Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 06:17 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times

Advertisements

Valesky tries to share pork, gets no takers

Sunday, April 05, 2009
By Delen Goldberg
Staff writer

Sen. David Valesky knows what it's like to be in the minority.

That's why, he said, he wanted to spread the wealth when he found out that he would receive a whopping $4.5 million in member-item money this year - an increase of 1,400 percent from last year.

Valesky, D-Oneida, offered three Central New York Republican senators - John DeFrancisco, Michael Nozzolio and Joseph Griffo - $250,000 each from his pot of pork. Member item funding, commonly referred to as pork-barrel spending, is discretionary money that lawmakers can dole out as they choose to organizations and pet causes in their home districts.

Valesky tries to share pork, gets no takers - syracuse.com

Bet Rochester and Buffalo leadership would love to have it.....

I can come up with some good uses for that money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Valesky tries to share pork, gets no takers

Sunday, April 05, 2009
By Delen Goldberg
Staff writer

Sen. David Valesky knows what it's like to be in the minority.

That's why, he said, he wanted to spread the wealth when he found out that he would receive a whopping $4.5 million in member-item money this year - an increase of 1,400 percent from last year.

Valesky, D-Oneida, offered three Central New York Republican senators - John DeFrancisco, Michael Nozzolio and Joseph Griffo - $250,000 each from his pot of pork. Member item funding, commonly referred to as pork-barrel spending, is discretionary money that lawmakers can dole out as they choose to organizations and pet causes in their home districts.

Valesky tries to share pork, gets no takers - syracuse.com

Bet Rochester and Buffalo leadership would love to have it.....

I can come up with some good uses for that money!
Tell me about it...I wonder why they won't take it?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Very strange if you ask me.

For years I've complained that the Syracuse area doesn't get it's fair share from the State. Then a local politician gets into a position of power and finally the Syracuse area can benefit as a result, only to find out later that this Syracuse area politician doesn't even want to use the state money to help improve the Syracuse area. Backwards is the only word that comes to mind! Only in Syracuse.

Again, it seems like Syracusans fight the very things that will help it the most!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Default List of Pork Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Very strange if you ask me.

For years I've complained that the Syracuse area doesn't get it's fair share from the State. Then a local politician gets into a position of power and finally the Syracuse area can benefit as a result, only to find out later that this Syracuse area politician doesn't even want to use the state money to help improve the Syracuse area. Backwards is the only word that comes to mind! Only in Syracuse.

Again, it seems like Syracusans fight the very things that will help it the most!
Where the pork flows - In Depth with The Post-Standard - syracuse.com

Here is a list of Greater Syracuse recipients of pork money. I'm glad to see $900,000+ was earmarked for economic development, however the MDA has had a pathetic track record. Perhaps the most troubling is that a large portion is going to politically charged social agencies and initiatives such as unions and the "Center for Community Alternatives" which essentially wants to do away with incarcerating the inner city poor in virtually all situations accept the "most" violent offenses.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
Nice of Dave to offer.

It appears to me that it's all politically based, both the increase in his allotment being that the dems are currently in power and he's one, and the refusal of the locals to accept. A bit short sighted of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area