Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 AM

371 posts, read 887,244 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm in considering buying an e-reader. I've been going back and fourth between the Nook and the Kindle. They both have great features. It seems like the nook has more features than the Kindle, but it also seems like it has more problems with their applications.

So...What do you have, or what have you heard? Do you suggest the Kindle or the Nook?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Bo; 12-27-2010 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Moved from Austin forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:38 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
I have a Kindle II; it's great. I don't know what it has to do with Austin, though.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:34 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I have a Kindle II; it's great. I don't know what it has to do with Austin, though.
The microprocessor inside of the kindle is made by Freescale and Freescale has its headquarters in Austin.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
The microprocessor inside of the kindle is made by Freescale and Freescale has its headquarters in Austin.
nice!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
I'd buy an iPad before I'd buy either of these. Its far more useful and versatile and you can download the Kindle APP free. Apple - iPad - The best way to see the web, email, and photos.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
We're thinking about getting a nook or kindle for our daughter. We have an ipad, and we love it to death, but there are times when we want a simple, inexpensive book reader. The ipad would be way too heavy for her to use constantly, not to mention we'd be pretty nervous about letting her roam around with a $500 ipad vs a $150 nook/kindle.

That said, for me the bottom line is really whether or not we want to align ourselves with Amazon vs B&N. Overall Amazon seems to be the better ecosystem, but we love the B&N brick and mortar stores and would like to support the company that maintains that model. We will likely go nook, primarily for the latter reason, but I still haven't made a firm decision yet. At this point I wouldn't go nook color myself, I don't see a lot of value there and the prognosticator in me thinks that it will be a dead end path.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,906 times
I have a Kindle and I love it. Have no complaints and use it all the time.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,312 times
I'm pondering a Nook Color for Christmas. I can't stomach the cost of an iPad, but the Nook Color has all the features I would use on the iPad (it will have a decent browser, so I can surf the web a little and check my email, plus you can load music into it) for half the cost. I also like the Nook Kids thing - my 4 year old daughter will LOVE this! Sure, it doesn't have 3G, but I cannot think of any reason I would need to be using the internet features when I wouldn't already have WiFi service.

I think regular Nook vs. Kindle is a wash - but if you like the nifty features of the Nook Color, I say do it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,486 times
I did a lot of research on both the kindle and the nook, and the kindle won hands down. I bought my first kindle a few months ago and love it. I love it so much that I just bought a second one for my husband for the holidays. Personally I wouldn't buy an ipad if you are just looking for an e-reader.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM

58 posts, read 135,497 times
I wanted an e-reader for my last vacation and did plenty of research. I bought the kindle 3 and I love, love, love it - I am reading more now than before I bought the kindle.

First of all, I can read it outside. This is something that you cannot do with an ipad. I love reading in restaurants and with the nice weather and plenty of patio space, I'm in literary heaven.

It's lighter than the ipad and it's more portable. My kindle 3 fits in my handbag (even with the case) without adding extra weight.

I can read for long periods of time without my wrists or my eyes getting tired.

I love that it's free 3G without a plan. I took my kindle to Buenos Aires and I was able to download books for the same price that I would download them for here at home. (Subscriptions are more expensive to download in foreign countries, though.)

Amazon has many free books and really cheap books by indie authors. Some of the freebies are books by indie authors to get you interested in their works. I make it a habit to visit the top 100 each day to see what is new.

I love getting samples of bestsellers to see if I want to check them out at the library.

One of the big downfalls to the kindle is that most libraries don't use that format, but you can download a program called Calibre to convert it to kindle format. I did this with a pdf that I downloaded and was able to read it on my kindle without problems.

Another small problem is the Experimental browser. It's clunky and if the connection isn't good, it can lock up your kindle. However, since I can post really easily using my phone or my laptop, it's not an issue.

Amazon is going to start allowing people to share their books (if the publisher allows it).

Do I regret that the kindle isn't in color? Most novels that I read don't have pictures, so b/w doesn't bother me. I think that if I wanted color, I would wait for a color e-ink. I like having the flexibility to read anywhere I want (especially if I bought a little light for $10) and LCDs don't provide that.

I hope that helps! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets