Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
If anything, I'm willing to wager that if the study is true, then it's because the ghetto element from Central and South FL moving up there and bringing that ghetto mindset with them.
I don't think it's necessarily because of outsiders, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is a lot of crime - most of it petty - it certain parts of town and near campus. I believe that the reporting mechanisms also differ among municipalities, so it's hard to get a true comparison of crime between cities. For example, a stolen bike is reported one way in TLH, but perhaps a different way (or not at all) in Atlanta.

As far as violent crime is concerned, most everything I've read about over the years is crime bewteen known parties or those engaging in business that isn't endorsed by the local Rotary clubs. The average citizen living in his or her average subdivision doesn't need to worry about becoming a victim of violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Below is another reminder of why Tallahassee made the list....

Tallahassee Police Investigate Double Homicide (http://www.wtxl.com/content/topstories/story/UPDATE-Tallahassee-police-investigate-double/kGknuIX_hkOOQ0Uun9tWRg.cspx - broken link) - 10/24

Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Tallahasee, Fla. - John Giuffo - Forbes

Tallahasee, Fla.

Florida’s capital city, Tallahassee, leads the state in crime with 775 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Its location on Interstate 10 makes it an attractive city for drug runners who bring contraband north from Miami and the surrounding area. The Tallahassee Police Department has stressed the need to boost funds to interdict drugs moving north, and a high rate of aggravated assaults seems to accompany the drug trafficking, according to Stults. Poverty also plays a role. “At the city level, poverty is one of the strongest predictors of crime rate, and there are definitely large pockets of poverty in Tallahassee – like most cities of its size, it is also segregated, and that contributes to higher crime rates in some areas,” says Stults.
WOW! ...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Just more evidence to get rid of the silly war on drugs.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 PM

17 posts, read 45,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
They also rank NY as #6 safest city. I would fell a lot safer walking around Tallahassee then NY.
I lived in New York City. I used to take the subways at 1 am on Saturday nights. I would be the only person standing at a subway station. I never had a problem. I don't go out in Tallahassee after 10 pm.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedoc View Post
I lived in New York City. I used to take the subways at 1 am on Saturday nights. I would be the only person standing at a subway station. I never had a problem. I don't go out in Tallahassee after 10 pm.
I guess that's your problem for apparently living in a sketchy neighborhood. I've been out after 10:00 in TLH several times and have never had a problem. To repeat something I posted earlier in this thread, the fact that Rockford and Springfield, IL are also listed in the top 10 and places like Atlanta and New Orleans are not in the top 10 shows that the crime measurements used in the ratings aren't in line with what most people would consider "dangerous".

Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This. The crime in Tallahassee is very much isolated in certain areas.

On most of the north side, non-petty crime is practically absent.

It's nothing to be proud of, necessarily, but there's a world of difference between Bannerman Road and Orange Avenue...
I agree with this.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 AM

57 posts, read 848,127 times
As a law enforcement officer in Tallahassee, I can assure you that it is one of the safest cities you will find!

Like anything, you have to remember where the stats came from to come up with this ranking. This poll was also taken from all the surrounding counties and cities in the Big Bend area. And it wasn't a "federal poll". If you go to the FBI's crime UCR reports, it even says not to use the numbers in order to rank cities as far as crime goes. There are too many variables that can effect the outcomes.

One must remember the type of people that live in Tallahassee. Over 70k college students call this city home, but yet aren't considered part of the overall population. That right there is a disadvantage. As far as violent crimes, most victims know the suspects. Most murders are drug related or domestic. I can only recall 3 or 4 random murders in the last 10 years.

Once again we will come back to college students. A lot get intoxicated, and walk home in the not so great areas. They then become victims of robberies, assaults, etc. Also, the number of sexual assaults are up as well. A majority are college students who become intoxicated, and fall victim to peers that they know.

Just like any city, Tallahassee has places that you want to avoid. But as a whole, the city is very safe. I dunno why you would be affraid to go out and walk your dog past 10pm?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 21,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
As a law enforcement officer in Tallahassee, I can assure you that it is one of the safest cities you will find!

Like anything, you have to remember where the stats came from to come up with this ranking. This poll was also taken from all the surrounding counties and cities in the Big Bend area. And it wasn't a "federal poll". If you go to the FBI's crime UCR reports, it even says not to use the numbers in order to rank cities as far as crime goes. There are too many variables that can effect the outcomes.

One must remember the type of people that live in Tallahassee. Over 70k college students call this city home, but yet aren't considered part of the overall population. That right there is a disadvantage. As far as violent crimes, most victims know the suspects. Most murders are drug related or domestic. I can only recall 3 or 4 random murders in the last 10 years.

Once again we will come back to college students. A lot get intoxicated, and walk home in the not so great areas. They then become victims of robberies, assaults, etc. Also, the number of sexual assaults are up as well. A majority are college students who become intoxicated, and fall victim to peers that they know.

Just like any city, Tallahassee has places that you want to avoid. But as a whole, the city is very safe. I dunno why you would be affraid to go out and walk your dog past 10pm?

Hey there, sorry to have picked up on you saying you are a law enforcement officer, I don't know what part of town you are in, but can you please maybe give me some insight into the area of Tallahasse Pecan Plantation endowement, os smth like that, just north of I-10 and just east of Monroe, in a wooded area behind Walmart? Basically there is a small lane, called Old carrouth path, off Okeepeekee rd in 32303, I am interested in one of the properties for sale there, and I have just been told that actually all four properties on the path are now vacant (recent foreclosures). I am wondering what that part of town is like, and whether there is any squatting, looting or generally crime activitiy associated with the fact that all four homes on the rather secluded lane are vacant, or maybe it's relatively quiet up there.

thanks in advance if you can help

Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,705 times
I lived in Broward county for 15 years and never had an incident. I've lived in Tallahassee for 3 years and had property stolen from my home, during the middle of the day, while I was at work 3 times. I'm sorry that isn't safe. This last time they broke into my shed and stole all of my tools.
I don't blame the cops, but rather the lack of them. Jon, by your same logic with the additional students our cop/civilian ratio, which is already way under the state average would be even worse. Scroll down to the last section of graphs, it's terrible. I guess red light cameras are more cost effective for generating revenue than hiring cops to protect the citizens from real crimes.
I'm not scared to go on a walk, I am scared to leave my house because I won't be there to stop the next one. It isn't fun to come home and look around for evidence someone has been there again. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee