Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,595 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm planning a move to Tallahassee in the next couple of months. I'm 49 and I wondered if I could get some opinions on what it is like to live there. I enjoy kayaking, swimming, etc. minus the alligators. I visited there in July and loved it, but I wanted to get some opinions here from people who are living there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:30 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times
Hello. I think you will love it. Tallahassee is a great city, full of award winning parks and greenways. There are rivers for kayaking, springs for swimming, and the coast is about 45 minutes south.

Its a beautiful city, and the living is quite easy.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm really nervous but also looking forward to it. Any and all information I can gather is great.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM
TD*

Where are you going to be living? For kayaking try the Wakulla River, Wacissa River, apalachicola river, st marks river.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 PM
TD*

The greatest thing about Tally is the trees. And the hilly terrain. We haven’t clearcut the city for development, you will notice beautiful trees and canopy roads. Also rolling hills which are uncommon in much of Florida.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM

I have a Realtor looking for me. I am hoping to find something on the NE side. My son is going to be going to school there next fall too. We went to Wakulla Springs which I loved. I love that they haven't clear cut the city also. We also went to St. George's Island while we were down there. I know Tallahassee is not a big city, but it does seem like there are a lot of things to do. I don't mind living outside the city a little bit if I need to. I'm looking for a small house or townhouse. I just hope that it is a friendly city as I will starting in a new place and wanting to make friends. It's not like the rest of the Florida in that it reminds me more of Georgia. Beautiful for sure.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
TD*

deanna you shouldnt have any issues, especially living in North East Tally. That area is very safe. You should be able to find plenty of active groups to do stuff with.

People are very friendly in Tally.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
I grew up in Tallahassee and lived in the Bertín Hills neighborhood. It’s a great place to raise a family and for anyone looking for a little bit of a calmer city.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM

26 posts, read 52,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaTL View Post
Hi. I'm planning a move to Tallahassee in the next couple of months. I'm 49 and I wondered if I could get some opinions on what it is like to live there. I enjoy kayaking, swimming, etc. minus the alligators. I visited there in July and loved it, but I wanted to get some opinions here from people who are living there. Thanks.
If you loved it in July, you'll love it all the time. The best season is fall - spring, IMO. Spring can bring some allergies from pollen due to so many trees but nothing impossible to deal with if you try a neti pot. The closeness to beautiful beaches and a moderate cost of living makes it workable for many. Nothing prepared me for just how nice the cooler months would be. Drier, clearer skies, sunny, just lovely days. The sun knows how to shine here. We take part in nature walks with our daughter and see all kinds of wildlife on a regular basis. We've been able to incorporate that into her educational experience so it's a diverse and interesting place to be. I have met many students who moved here to study and never left so it is growing. And if you like getting outdoors you will keep busy here. The negatives, to be fair: mosquitoes, a fair bit of segregation that prevails to some degree, higher property tax and higher insurance, severe weather.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:55 AM

233 posts, read 305,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa84 View Post
If you loved it in July, you'll love it all the time. The best season is fall - spring, IMO. Spring can bring some allergies from pollen due to so many trees but nothing impossible to deal with if you try a neti pot. The closeness to beautiful beaches and a moderate cost of living makes it workable for many. Nothing prepared me for just how nice the cooler months would be. Drier, clearer skies, sunny, just lovely days. The sun knows how to shine here. We take part in nature walks with our daughter and see all kinds of wildlife on a regular basis. We've been able to incorporate that into her educational experience so it's a diverse and interesting place to be. I have met many students who moved here to study and never left so it is growing. And if you like getting outdoors you will keep busy here. The negatives, to be fair: mosquitoes, a fair bit of segregation that prevails to some degree, higher property tax and higher insurance, severe weather.
How are the overall seasons? I live in WA and get tired of the rain from Nov-June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee