Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,973 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house for my 20-yr-old to stay in while attending FSU, and later live in it ourselves. We live in South FL now, but have a farm an hr away from Tall. that we'll be retiring to in a year or so. (We wanted to have a "city house" for us.)

So what we're looking for is a nice house for our daughter to live in now (might be for a few yrs because she's pre-med) with a roommate, but good for us down the road.

We didn't like Southwood or PineyZ. Didn't like area around Doomar. Liked the area around John Hancock, but couldn't get a seller to deal. Golden Eagle area too pricey. Our realtor has suggested Sabal Chase. Is that a nice area? Will the property appreciate over the years?

We don't need a huge house, but want a nice neighborhood, don't care about schools, don't want "college age", looking for younger families maybe? Are we asking for the impossible?

We want to buy something in the next month or so. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,144,659 times
I think Sabal Chase is perfect for what you want. It is FAR away from college students (10-15) miles, New neighborhood. houses less than 10 years old.. and its in a beautiful part of town.. Nice neighborhood, Smaller lots though, and not a lot of trees or shade...

Should be perfect for what u want.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 193,231 times
Sabal Chase is fine but I would be a little concerned about the distance driving back and forth to FSU and I assume the hospitals. But if the distance is okay I would also look in Killearn Lakes, better tree cover, better lots, more choices. But to me it makes more sense to live in town, Betton Hills is a great area close to the hospitals, Marion Avenue has got to be one of the most beautiful residential streets in Tallahassee.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
TD*

Squiffy, the prices on Marion Avenue are out of range of this potential buyer.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 PM

79 posts, read 193,231 times
Got you, TD. It is a dream street to me and I got carried away.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,973 times
Thank you for your input. Do you think Southwood is a good bet?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
TD*

Southwood is nice, and out of the Campus area neighborhoods, but only a 10 minute drive from campus.

Its a nice neighborhood, if you have enough cash.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
I literally live right around the corner from Sable Chase.

It's in a very good area for schools and with the recent development of the Bradfordville area, you can get pretty much anything you need without having to drive all the way into town.

The lots are not that big, so you are going to be pretty close to your neighbors. I also notice that they either cleared out all the trees from the place (or else is was a cow pasture before), so unlike most Tallahassee neighborhoods, it's not shaded by a million trees.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 17,827 times
I lived in Sable Chase for three years. The neighborhood is fine. It is mostly made up of families with elementary-aged children. The other responses are correct. The lots are very, very small, and there is absolutely no shade. For my family, this resulted in high utility bills (appx. $400). Our ceilings were very high (cathedral ceilings, I think is what they are called). It was a good neighborhood. One thing I didn't like was the neighborhood was used as a shortcut for the rest of Killearn Lakes, and those using it had no problem speeding through there no matter what time or day or how many kids were around. Since you're daughter is of college age, it probably won't be a problem for her. I attended FSU while I lived there, and it is a longer commute. However, the distance never really bothered me. Just know that traffic from 7:30 to 8:30-9 is pretty bad. It usually took me about 30 to 40 minutes to get to school for my 9:00 class.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Also, if you are not in a hurry, you can go down Meridian Road instead of Thomasville.

Driving down a beautiful, winding canopy road all the way into town gets you to work and school in a better mood, I find, than fighting the idiots in six lanes on US 319. Especially if you have a convertible and it's fall.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee