Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM

114 posts, read 535,481 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Clearwater area in the middle of October. We have not lived in the US for many, many years (although we are Americans) so are having to learn how things like Internet and cell phone useage work. I am overwhelmed with the choices and would appreciate advice.

I keep reading that once Verizon gets you to sign on the dotted line you're theirs. I'd like to avoid that (not Verizon, just 'hungry' contracts).

We need to purchase cell phones and wonder what plans are the best choices for our family of three (2 adults, 1 child)? T-Mobile, Verizon, Brighthouse - do they even offer cell phones?)?? We'll need cell phones for the first two months then, once we move in to a house, we'll need Internet added to that. We prefer no cable television. Just cell phone and Internet, maybe a home phone, too.

Any advice?

Mari (who has been out of the American market so long she's overwhelmed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 09:01 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Verizon internet is not contract anymore, it used to be, but not anymore. You'll get a completely split decision on that. FIOS is great if you do a lot of internet games or watch streaming video a lot (ala netflix or hulu). Ultimately, that decision is yours, everyone will tell you something different in regards to Verizon vs. Brighthouse. I personally went with verizon and have had nothing but great service and great customer service.

As for cells, i've only ever used Sprint, so I cant really comment which is "best" there. I think sprint is a little more expensive per month, but i've never not had cell service either.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Here is my perspective

1) Cell: it depends on how much minutes you are going to use. Some people want unlimited long-distance, there is a price to pay for that. Also, how many lines you need. Really you have to do the leg work. Call around and ask for no contract. For us, for two lines and 750minute per month the cheapest I found is with T-moblie for 49.99 + tax that comes about $63 or so per month. Now for $10 or so buck you can have an unlimited from metro PCS. Also, for three lines I found metro PCS to be cheap but we don't need 3 lines. But you may want check that.

People throw all kind of number out but the key is how many lines you need and how many minutes you need then you can compare apple to apple.

2) TV: Again you need to decide what you really want, just a regular channels, HD, Premium channels and so on. I have brighthouse for HD with DVR box and sowtime/HBO combo for 109/month (they just raised by $4 last month). I am actually checking FIOS and yesterday the sales guy from Verizon offer me $90 that include the local land line. It was too good to be true and I said I will check on that.

3) Land line for just local call that we need (those security companies need land line. There is wireless but it is expensive) I didn't find who can beat verizon at $26 including taxes.

Here is what I do, I ask one place and get all the fine print and ask others if they can beat that.

Good luck and by the way where you are coming from?

Welcome back home!

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 10-02-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM

114 posts, read 535,481 times
Thank you, rezfreak and MeInDenudinFL, for the detailed answers and the 'welcome home'. It was enlightening and encouraging!

My husband, who grew up in Dunedin, is an American Foreign Service Officer (diplomat). For the last 4 years we've been living in Dublin, Ireland. We've been living overseas, working at American Embassies, for 15 straight years but it's time to come 'home'. We just have so much to learn!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
For cell company comparison charts, you can look online at Cell Phones for free with Cell Phone Plans from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless. I've found them to be the best at the lowest cost. We are with AT&T at the moment, but I'm not tied to one company. We've also had Verizon. Both companies have excellent cell coverage and dropped calls are few. The worst part is all the miscellaneous fees these companies add on to the bill. I think Verizon's is around 18% in total. This makes a difference in total cost. Also beware of cancellation penalties/fees.

For land lines, tv cable, and internet the two largest companies are Brighthouse and Verizon FIOS. They offer bundled services where you get all three in one package. There are many threads here on City-Data about the two companies (search on this forum to read more). I believe the concensus was that FIOS is the best product, but Brighthouse has the best customer service. The one advantage with Verizon is that the phone line is separate where Brighthouse uses Voice Over IP. So, if one service goes down with Brighthouse, they all go down.

For TV, there is also satellite service (DirectTV and Dish Network). We had DirectTV long ago and didn't like it. With all the storms in the area, the coverage was spotty. I've been told it's not like that any more, but I don't know.

Finally, I think there's another cable service provider in Pinellas County but I cannot remember the name at the moment.

Good luck in your search and welcome back!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
I have Verizon cell service, and nothing else compares. Sure, it's a little more than other carriers, but the service is great no matter where you go, and there is always a Verizon phone center nearby. I have friends on At&T, and they drop calls constantly (I think that might have a lot to do with the IPhone, however).
I have been on Verizon FIOS before, but their billing was terrible-seemed like the charges were different every month. The HD picture quality was amazing though. FIOS internet speed was OK; it's not as fast as they claim it to be, however...unless you pay $ for the top tier speed.
I am with Brighthouse for internet and TV, and it works just fine for me. I have HBO, the Roadrunner internet broadband and HDTV with the DVR and I pay $130 a month. The bill is the same every month-no changes. I have an Android phone and have the 1300 minutes a month/unlimited MMS and SMS/5 friend circle and Android internet for $100 a month. You can probably get it around $80 if you reduce the minutes and eliminate the circle of friends. Regular voice plans without internet service on your phone are also less through Verizon.
I have found this combo works best for me. Brighthouse is always running specials for free home phone or reduced phone charges, so keep an eye out for those promos. Never had an issue with Brighthouse. Once in a while the internet goes down (two times in the past 2 years), but then I can tether my Android and use my cell internet to browse on my PC. The picture quality on HD with Brighthouse is pretty good, not as good as FIOS, but it is just fine for me. I don't have a large TV where that would seriously affect my viewing enjoyment.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Mari,

I certainly can understand where you are coming from I lived in Germany for many years while my husband was stationed over there and it was a great adjustment when we first moved back. So many options so many choices. I personally have T-Mobile and am satisfied with their service so far. My daughter has ATT but I feel they are very pricey. I hear many good things about Verizon but I believe all carriers probably will get you for a minimum of 2 yrs in order for you to get the best rates but not sure. I have Brighthouse at home and wish I could change but I have my business email address thru them and it is very hard to change for me with all my clients knowing this email address for the past 7 yrs. Brighthouse Internet connection depending on where you live is slow many times. I pay for phone (home phone, internet, cable and Show times approx $ 168 with taxes) .

Good luck with picking but do your research as good as you can before you commit to a cell phone carrier because like you said once they have you signed up you are stuck for 2 yrs with most of them. Verizon Cell is great in the USA has tons of coverage not sure if T-Mobiles coverage is as good but I know it's good in the bay area.

"Mandy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay