Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 AM

436 posts, read 1,125,182 times

Advertisements

I came across this article while researching recycling programs in St Pete: St. Pete approves curbside recycling for residents

I can't believe this was just now implemented! But, at least it exists now. Is this indicative of recycling in the rest of the area? I hope there is curbside recycling everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 07:54 AM

Wow, I just read that it's voluntary to use the curbside service as well. I think I'm still a little used to Seattle: free curbside pick-up (built into city taxes) and a $50 fine per recyclable item found in your trash, which was excellent!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,618,956 times
I'm pretty sure most everyone has curbside recycling here now; I'm really surprised St. Pete just got it going! Florida does lag behind in that area.

I don't like the idea of that fine you have in Seattle, though.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,599,977 times
I've noticed that not all of my neighbors recycle - (no blue/green bins). Should I turn 'em in?
Only kidding, but in Germany they take recycling pretty seriously - and have done so for years. They even separate their green glass from brown glass from clear class. I'm not sure if there's a fine for not recycling over there, but I'm guess there is.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM

17,603 posts, read 39,343,557 times
Wow - you're kidding! Sarasota has been recycling for decades! Surprised to hear that St. Pete just started....... Actually we are in Manatee now, but recycling is included with our water/sewer/garbage fee, all of which is quite reasonable.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 AM

I was shocked to read that article. And, it's an optional service for which the customer pays $2.75/month. That's peanuts but I'm sure it'll rule people out. It should just be built in to city taxes and people would already be paying for it.

Personally, I loved the fine. It forced lazy people to be responsible and recycle what they could.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,599,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
I was shocked to read that article. And, it's an optional service for which the customer pays $2.75/month. That's peanuts but I'm sure it'll rule people out. It should just be built in to city taxes and people would already be paying for it.

Personally, I loved the fine. It forced lazy people to be responsible and recycle what they could.

It is laziness - and it isn't too difficult of a habit to get into. Besides, it helps the environment.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:14 PM

239 posts, read 673,222 times
I have to say that I agree with the poster who said that Florida really lags behind in this sense. Not just in recycling but in attitude in general towards environmental responsibility. I'm sure there are places that do it well but it is not part of the culture as it is in other areas where I have lived. Even though we have curbside recycling in most neighborhoods in Miami, one afternoon in a park will remind you how little people give a crap about anything here.

The schools teach the kids to eat healthy and recycle and then they have birthday parties with chips, sodas and food coloring and throw trash everywhere. I've seen people at whole foods empty the trash out of their car in the parking lot...I mean...come on! I can barely go out of my house anymore because the attitudes here really disgust me.

I am so happy we found a Waldorf school here which is almost zero impact. (reusable water bottles, cloth hand towels, etc. All of our lunchboxes are zero waste). I am hoping that Tampa will be a little better in this regard but again, my expectations are in check. I did notice that most houses in Safety Harbor have reclaimed water for lawn care and also have rain collection barrels. This is nice to see!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM

239 posts, read 673,222 times
Sorry for the rant. I try to stay positive but this issue really gets me riled up.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and kumbaya everyone!!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
Sorry for the rant. I try to stay positive but this issue really gets me riled up.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and kumbaya everyone!!!!
Hey, no worries. I'm completely in agreement with you. Environmental responsibility is a big deal and it pisses me off to no end when people don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay