Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times

Advertisements

This is an article from todays St. Petersburg Times paper.

In Tampa Bay area's buyers' market, rental pickings are slim - St. Petersburg Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,289,763 times
1000's of homes to rent in my area for under $500.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
Which one is your area Chasl? Are they in the condition this article is talking about?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,609,085 times
Wow, this is interesting.

We are looking to move right now because we've had so many problems with this house. We'd love to buy, but since we haven't been able to sell our house up north yet, the banks won't give us a mortgage, so we're stuck renting.

We've been finding 3 and 4 bed/2 bath homes for 1200 to 1600 and for the most part they've been in really good shape. There's one I love in Shore Acres, but it's too far away from my kids' schools.

The less expensive homes for rent seem to be in Hillsborough, and I don't know what the condition of them is, since we haven't looked in person, but they look decent on line.

So, I guess this article does not speak to my experience, although I do wish there were more homes on the rental market to choose from. If the article is right, things should pick up next month.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Which one is your area Chasl? Are they in the condition this article is talking about?
I'm talking about west Pasco along US19. A drugdealers dream area full of crime and small 2bedroom shoebox homes. You can buy homes for around 25k all day long and rent em out to bums.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM

158 posts, read 284,412 times
That is definitely an interesting read. I have searched so many rentals on line and am I planning on driving by some of them next month when I visit. I am always curious about some of the rentals I see on line and wonder how nice they really are. I think that it’s obvious that the property owner is not going to show the flaws of a place they are trying to rent and the pictures are going to be at the best angle to sell you on it.

I always keep in mind you get what you pay for and when looking on line you have to remember that, if it is really cheap and looks like a great deal ...there is something wrong with the place somewhere. Just my opinion though J

Thanks for sharing the article.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:00 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,389,278 times
it's always a good idea to do drive-bys in an unfamiliar area.

if you're looking for apartment rentals, it's also helpful to read reviews of the property management.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,609,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
it's always a good idea to do drive-bys in an unfamiliar area.

if you're looking for apartment rentals, it's also helpful to read reviews of the property management.
Absolutely!

I found a fantastic looking house the other day in an area of St. Pete that is supposed to be nice, but it was right on the edge of it. Before we went to spend time actually looking at the house with a Realtor, we drove by and it was a big NO. Two streets away from the nice area was not close enough for me. The house itself looked great. The others on the street; not so much.

I'm starting to wonder about just renting a condo, but with little ones and one of them with special needs, I'm worried we'll upset the neighbors with all the noise! It also would mean no backyard, which I don't like at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay